Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 12:59 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
For some people, they enjoy that tropical lifestyle... the palms, the beaches, the humidity, the ocean, the Keys.
The zero State income tax!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 06:29 PM

594 posts, read 698,839 times
Default 2/3 of USA citizens live on the EAST COAST

Can't forget that fact.
But Arizona has pass Florida in retirees. Arizona has passed Florida in
Snowbird destinations. Arizona has passed Florida in Canadian
snowbirds. As one famous City - data poster from Arizona says......
":People vote with their feet "

Old 05-04-2016, 06:44 PM

482 posts, read 533,278 times
Also, compared to Arizona, much of Florida's real estate is horrifically over priced.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:22 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,965,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post
Can't forget that fact.
But Arizona has pass Florida in retirees. Arizona has passed Florida in
Snowbird destinations. Arizona has passed Florida in Canadian
snowbirds. As one famous City - data poster from Arizona says......
":People vote with their feet "
Do you have a link or source for those claims? I would almost guarantee FL gets more snowbirds and retirees than AZ. The amount of 55+ communities in FL is absolutely mind-boggling. I might concur that AZ gets more Canadian snowbirds than FL, but Im pretty sure FL gets way more US snowbirds than AZ does. Same goes for Spring Breakers.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:20 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
There is generally about a 10 degree rule with Florida's humidity, meaning it increases "real feel" by about 10 degrees. In the summer, coastal Florida averages around 90F for highs, and around 100F for "heat index."

When Phoenix see's temperatures above 110F (which it see's every year), that kind of heat you won't find in Florida, and that kind of heat is quite frankly dangerous. Florida never gets hot to the point you think you will die of heat stroke being outside in the sun, but several times in Arizona I did feel that the heat was that dangerous.
Miami in July:
Avg High=90°
Avg Dewpoint=75°
Avg afternoon Heat Index=101°

Old 05-06-2016, 02:37 AM

482 posts, read 533,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
There is generally about a 10 degree rule with Florida's humidity, meaning it increases "real feel" by about 10 degrees.
That's total B.S., pure and simple. I don't know who wrote that rule, but they sure as hell better go back and rethink it. I've been in Florida in July when it was 90F with 90% humidity. And it sure as hell felt a lot hotter than it does in Phoenix when it's 100F with 4% humidity. And I don't care what kind of, "sea breeze" is blowing. Juggling numbers isn't going to make you sweat less.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:27 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petlover8 View Post
Also, compared to Arizona, much of Florida's real estate is horrifically over priced.
There are places in Florida that match Arizona's real estate costs almost to a T. My parents live here in Glendale and are planning to move to western Florida next year, and they have been looking at houses, they can almost get the same house they have here in SW Florida within walking distance to the beach.

If you are looking at Miami then yeah, it's overpriced. Arizona also has expensive areas too you know, like almost all of northern Arizona (Prescott, Sedona, Flagstaff). Sedona especially but we all know that.

I'd say overall they are pretty close there. However you can't compare the entire states in this realm, you'd have to go even further and compare county to county, city to city, etc. Arizona is probably cheaper overall but by a small margin. Only because Florida's major city (Miami) is lot more expensive than Arizona's major city (Phoenix) but these cities are hardly comparable, one is a huge destination and vacation spot for hundreds of millionaires and celebrities and the other is geared more towards the middle class. That alone will change real estate costs quite a bit.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:37 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petlover8 View Post
That's total B.S., pure and simple. I don't know who wrote that rule, but they sure as hell better go back and rethink it. I've been in Florida in July when it was 90F with 90% humidity. And it sure as hell felt a lot hotter than it does in Phoenix when it's 100F with 4% humidity. And I don't care what kind of, "sea breeze" is blowing. Juggling numbers isn't going to make you sweat less.

Correct. They like to brag in FL that it never gets over a 100 degrees, well when you factor in the humidity and the dew point, it feels the same as if it was a 108 degrees.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:49 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,734,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
There are places in Florida that match Arizona's real estate costs almost to a T. My parents live here in Glendale and are planning to move to western Florida next year, and they have been looking at houses, they can almost get the same house they have here in SW Florida within walking distance to the beach.

If you are looking at Miami then yeah, it's overpriced. Arizona also has expensive areas too you know, like almost all of northern Arizona (Prescott, Sedona, Flagstaff). Sedona especially but we all know that.

I'd say overall they are pretty close there. However you can't compare the entire states in this realm, you'd have to go even further and compare county to county, city to city, etc. Arizona is probably cheaper overall but by a small margin. Only because Florida's major city (Miami) is lot more expensive than Arizona's major city (Phoenix) but these cities are hardly comparable, one is a huge destination and vacation spot for hundreds of millionaires and celebrities and the other is geared more towards the middle class. That alone will change real estate costs quite a bit.
So what you're saying is, you can live in a boring part of FL and deal with terrible weather with little to no opportunity to escape to cooler climates. Or you can live nearly in the heart of a top 15 major metro area of the country, which also happens to have dry weather and cooler escapes within 1.5-2hrs for the same price?

For anyone who wants an active retirement (still enjoys city life) or younger people, this doesn't sound like a tough decision for me.

Old 05-07-2016, 06:15 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
So what you're saying is, you can live in a boring part of FL and deal with terrible weather with little to no opportunity to escape to cooler climates. Or you can live nearly in the heart of a top 15 major metro area of the country, which also happens to have dry weather and cooler escapes within 1.5-2hrs for the same price?

For anyone who wants an active retirement (still enjoys city life) or younger people, this doesn't sound like a tough decision for me.
I was just refuting housing costs which the post I originally quoted was wrong about, in the majority of both states they are relatively similar. There are exceptions to the rule obviously (Sedona and Key West), but the states themselves are pretty similar in this regard. Now if the post said "Miami is so much higher cost than Phoenix" I wouldn't have refuted it because that's accurate, but instead they compared the entire states of Florida and Arizona. Arizonans get WAY too personal on this topic, apparently only saying they are similar on something rather than completely agreeing w/o factual information for pro-Arizona will get arguments. Why don't you look up housing prices in Tampa, Jacksonville, Orlando, and tell me what you see. Then look for a similar house in Phoenix and Tucson and tell me what you find. You'll see that they are pretty similar.

Look, I prefer a dry heat over a humid heat (I hate heat in general though), so I'm not pro-Florida here but if you're going to be biased then at least be factual.

This thread is asking for a comparison of dry heat vs. wet heat. Not "well I actually hate the heat here, and I feel the need to spend almost every weekend in the summer waiting in 3 hours+ traffic each way (btw it's never only 2 hours in the summer) on the I-17 just to tolerate living here". How would you feel about Phoenix if Flagstaff, Sedona, and Prescott didn't exist, huh? If every square inch of Arizona was as hot as Phoenix, Tucson, and Yuma? If you feel the need to promote Phoenix on its proximity to cooler weather than actually talk about the topic at hand which is dry heat vs. wet heat then I think your argument is officially moot and you're running out of things to say.

I get irritated when people always bring up the amenities of Sedona and Flagstaff in these weather threads. Sure they are worth mentioning for someone looking to relocate but it doesn't make Phoenix any colder, and this thread is about Phoenix, and it's posted in the Phoenix subforum, not northern Arizona. I think referring to Yuma would be better for these weather comparisons, otherwise Arizonans won't shut up about northern Arizona. When it comes to people asking about our city we can't only talk about the city, we have to bring up everywhere else in the state because apparently Phoenix alone isn't a good enough argument to persuade people. And that's pretty sad, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area