Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 06:31 PM

482 posts, read 533,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
How would you feel about Phoenix if Flagstaff, Sedona, and Prescott didn't exist, huh? If every square inch of Arizona was as hot as Phoenix, Tucson, and Yuma?
I'm fine with it. That's why I moved here. 6 years in Lake Havasu City, and 18+ years in Phoenix. I haven't spent any time in Flagstaff, except for the 5 minutes it took me to drive through it. They can ram Sedona. Overpriced and full of kooks. Prescott was nice until it became overrun with Californian's. Even before then I doubt I've spent more than 4 hours in the place total. (I only go there for the gun shops).

You act like people don't know the temperature of the desert before they move here. That's nonsense. It's the REASON most move here in the first place. Especially to retire. I lived 38 years in the rust belt. I never want to see my breath when I walk outside.... OR another snowflake for as long as I live!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 07:49 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petlover8 View Post
I'm fine with it. That's why I moved here. 6 years in Lake Havasu City, and 18+ years in Phoenix. I haven't spent any time in Flagstaff, except for the 5 minutes it took me to drive through it. They can ram Sedona. Overpriced and full of kooks. Prescott was nice until it became overrun with Californian's. Even before then I doubt I've spent more than 4 hours in the place total. (I only go there for the gun shops).

You act like people don't know the temperature of the desert before they move here. That's nonsense. It's the REASON most move here in the first place. Especially to retire. I lived 38 years in the rust belt. I never want to see my breath when I walk outside.... OR another snowflake for as long as I live!
That's funny, I don't remember asking that question to you but to the people saying "but there are cooler escapes 1.5-2 hours away" when it's not even relevant to the thread topic. I mention that in the sentence after those questions which you chose to forgo quoting.

I'm sure lots of people move here because of the temperatures. If they felt the need that they would need an "escape" from the temperatures to enjoy life here I'm sure Phoenix would be something they would never consider. I'm sure the OP is asking because they don't mind the heat but they want a comparison of two different types of heat. We all know they are very different and have their pros and cons, and we have to weigh them out and then make an educated opinion. So having the cooler escapes of Sedona and Flagstaff would be irrelevant here, though apparently people can't stop bringing that up in the several hundred threads about this same exact topic, not just this one.

By the way, I'm glad you're the special snowflake who doesn't care about Northern Arizona however the majority of the posters here including myself love Northern Arizona very much. I wish we would bring up the pros of Northern Arizona only when it is relevant. The fact that people are bringing it up as an escape plan makes Phoenix sound hotter than it actually is, because it comes across as Arizonans needing to leave in order to keep some sanity during the summer. So in some ways using that argument is working against you rather than helping for a pro-Arizona stance.

I have enough faith in the U.S. educational system to believe that people are smart enough to know how hot Phoenix gets. But I would be willing to believe that if places like Flagstaff, Sedona, Prescott, Payson, etc. for people to use as "temperature escapes" did not exist near by a lot less people would be living here. I really do.

Old 05-08-2016, 04:14 AM

Quote:
By the way, I'm glad you're the special snowflake who doesn't care about Northern Arizona however the majority of the posters here including myself love Northern Arizona very much.
I never said, "I didn't care about it". I simply have no use for it. I wanted desert living. So I moved to the desert. 25 years later I'm very glad I did. If I wanted snow and mountains I would have moved elsewhere. I moved to the desert to "escape" TO IT, not run away FROM IT. If I wanted cold weather, along with the snow and slop it brings, I would have stayed in the Midwest. I didn't so I came here. Not too hard to figure out. People who feel the need to run somewhere else every 5 minutes, are living in the wrong place.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:20 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
I'm with this as a former New Yorker. If I didn't mind snow or cold, I might have chosen Denver over Phoenix, but anything below 60° is my kryptonite, so here I am lol

Old 05-08-2016, 06:50 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,735,568 times
Quote:
That's funny, I don't remember asking that question to you but to the people saying "but there are cooler escapes 1.5-2 hours away" when it's not even relevant to the thread topic. I mention that in the sentence after those questions which you chose to forgo quoting.
I'm a poster that says "but there are cooler escapes 1.5-2 hours away." I say that frequently because it's pretty unique compared to most of the country and the majority of less Arizona minded folks think the entire state is a giant desert when in reality less of the state is desert than not.

Every where I've ever lived people have escapes, for a lot of Midwest and Canadian folks we are there winter escape, I think it's a huge perk that we can go from 100's to 70's within a few hour drive in the car. When I lived in the Northeast briefly the only way to escape the winter frost was by plane, usually all the way down to Florida.

So weather it's hot city people looking for cool summer escapes or cold city people looking to escape the frozen tundra, most people are always looking for a break from the day to day after an extended period in a less than desirable season. The FACT is that Arizona was made the way it is and when you make a decision to live somewhere the surrounding regions always have an impact. I know a lot of people that wonder how they'll like Denver being that it's so isolated from other major cities. When I lived in the Northeast many NYers enjoyed weekend trips to Boston, Philly etc...

Old 05-09-2016, 01:21 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
Quote:
People who feel the need to run somewhere else every 5 minutes, are living in the wrong place.
This is what I have been saying this whole time. While having all these places near by Phoenix are definitely positives, you shouldn't be relying on them to get through the summers. I feel that there is a lot of people in Phoenix who do this, and I think when people bring them up in a dry heat vs. wet heat argument it hurts Phoenix rather than help it. I personally see it as a "wow, you need to flee Phoenix almost every weekend? That must mean Phoenix is really hot!" rather than a "wow, all these cool places near Phoenix, that's way better than Florida!" which I think most people who bring up these points hope the people reading their posts will think.

To locolife: Yes we live in a great place to have so much diversity near by. Yes the regions surrounding Phoenix will make an impact on people who will choose to relocate here, but it will not make Phoenix any colder... Which is why I don't see the point in bringing it up. This is just asking for a heat comparison, that's it. Which one is better, 110 with 10% humidity, or what is Florida usually... 93 with 90% humidity? That's all it's asking for pretty much. Again these places are pluses I agree with you there but not relevant to which type of heat is easier to handle.

People who want to live here need to be realistic with themselves, can they handle our summer heat? I have been living in West Valley (Glendale, Peoria, and Surprise) for more than 20 years and there has not been a single summer I have not dreaded my life. My family is not a cold weather family (they thrive in the summers somehow) so they never wanted to go up North, I'm sort of the oddball here, and because of that I never go up North as often as I want. I usually get to go up North once in the summer and most summers I don't get to, so that's almost five months of dealing with the heat without breaks. I think most people are similar to me because of jobs or other things, and are limited on vacation time, etc. and can only go up there so much. Hopefully they have more opportunities to do so than I do. But that's the worst it can get for any of us, dealing with our worst season day in day out from the beginning to the end, no breaks. I ask people that one question when they tell me they are thinking about moving to Arizona: "Do you think you can handle 100+ temps (24/7 in Phoenix pretty much) for roughly five consistent months without being able to leave?" And if they say no, then I tell them to look elsewhere. Because they would end up just like me, dodging the outdoors like a hermit and start to operate on a nocturnal schedule (I actually like summer nights here) because the heat is just too much.

I personally wouldn't consider living somewhere if I didn't think I could handle their worst season for its whole duration. I think others should do the same.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:38 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,735,568 times
Quote:
To locolife: Yes we live in a great place to have so much diversity near by. Yes the regions surrounding Phoenix will make an impact on people who will choose to relocate here, but it will not make Phoenix any colder... Which is why I don't see the point in bringing it up. This is just asking for a heat comparison, that's it. Which one is better, 110 with 10% humidity, or what is Florida usually... 93 with 90% humidity? That's all it's asking for pretty much. Again these places are pluses I agree with you there but not relevant to which type of heat is easier to handle.
I see your point, I will always pick dry heat over humid heat. I believe I've said that at least a few dozen times to various newcomers on this forum. And not even just Florida hot/humidity, I didn't even like summers in the Northeast where the temps were rarely over 90 but the dew point was often well above a level I find pleasant for being outdoors.

I don't find our summers intolerable at all, people tend to focus on the high temps, while I push people to keep in mind the low temps at night. Thanks, in part, to our dry heat our mornings and evenings are glorious even when the high is 102. I've now spent 14 summers here and I've yet to need to put any type of hold on my regular outdoor activities, I manage to get out on our killer local trails 3-4 days a week year round. This was not the case when I lived in a cold climate, many trails even closed for winter season.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:04 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times
Quote:

Well, I see mine several times a year during winter here. You might wanna pack your bags. Maybe Honolulu or the Florida Keys are the only places youre guaranteed not to see your breath in winter.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:06 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I'm with this as a former New Yorker. If I didn't mind snow or cold, I might have chosen Denver over Phoenix, but anything below 60° is my kryptonite, so here I am lol
What the funk? Are you saying it doesnt get below 60 here in PHX?

Old 05-09-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Well, I see mine several times a year during winter here.
That's because you go out too early in the morning. I'm retired. I seldom venture out until well after rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area