Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 05:45 PM

9,603 posts, read 31,742,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickluva View Post
I can't wait until I get the HELL out of this state......that's all
I'm a little confused with this post, nickluva.

WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?

Chain gangs have been used for years all over the world and they are a positive for both the prisoners and the taxpayers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 05:57 PM

183 posts, read 287,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
That's not even an argument. We are the largest county in the state.

I think it's a pretty good thing to do the chain gang. Why not clean up the place by using inmates.
Regardless this county still has a high crime rate and it plays a major role in Arizona being ranked consistently in the top 5 of most "dangerous" states regardless of how many people Sheriff Joe throws in jail and dresses up in pink.

It's not the actual inmates cleaning up the place thing that's got me ticked off it's the way that they are being exploited. Wearing pink outfits, having the jail guards wear combat boots and signs saying "Sheriff Joe's Chain Gang at work" It's over the top and he's only doing it for attention he could care less about these inmates he practically treats them less than human beings in his jails. The man doesn't even know what rehabilitation means it's all about torture the hell out of these inmates in the jails and embarrass them out in public.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolguyb View Post
Yeah- Arizona is so Ultra Conservative that we have a Democrat for a governor and she is supporting a major Liberal in Obama.
Big deal Maryland and Massachusetts recently both had Republican governors and those are two of the most liberal states in the country. Liberal New York City has a republican mayor so what's your point?? One monkey don't stop no show!

Old 02-15-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I thought all states do the "chain gang" thing? Hey, don't do the crime if you don't want to do the time! Nickluva, I can think of many reasons to move out of Phoenix, but the existence of "chain gangs" is the most ridiculous reason I've ever heard. Are you sure you're not joking with us?
This post is not even about the "chain gangs" I'm fully aware that "chain gangs" are used worldwide. My issue isn't even about the chain gangs. It's when I looked at the "chain gang" I was looking at a bigger picture. It's kinda hard to explain but if you fully understand the people that run this state and their ways then you'll get what i'm saying

Old 02-15-2008, 06:27 PM

2,791 posts, read 7,469,532 times
Amazingly, nickluva and I seem to agree on this one, although I'd stop short of saying that Sheriff Joe makes me want to leave town. Every city has its embarrassing public figures. Sheriff Joe is no more emblematic of Phoenix than Marion Berry was of Washington, D.C., Frank Rizzo was of Philadephia, Vincent Cianci was of Providence, or Daryl Gates was of Los Angeles. Those cities survived their petty dictators, and so will Phoenix.

Back to the main topic, having prisoners work on community projects is no big deal. I support it, and from what I've heard, the prisoners welcome the relief from the tedium of incarceration. The problem I have with Sheriff Joe's approach is that he has deliberately used rhetoric and symbols designed for maximum humiliation and degradation. "Chain gang" in an unfortunate phrase that recalls redneck sheriffs in the Deep South. Why not use a neutral term like "work crew" instead? Likewise, why the striped uniforms that recall another era? Putting prisoners to work is a great idea, but it should be about productive work and not needless degradation of those doing the work. I'm convinced that productive work lowers recidivism, but I'm skeptical that humiliation does the same.

I also think that Sheriff Joe has manipulated the whole chain gang program, like just about everything he touches, to yield maximum publicity for himself rather than maximum effectiveness in law enforcement and crime prevention.

Last edited by exit2lef; 02-15-2008 at 06:38 PM..

Old 02-15-2008, 07:02 PM

44,661 posts, read 61,743,803 times
Chain gangs serve 2 purposes, one, to clean up areas to save taxpayers money, and two, to show you that commiting crimes does not pay and the publicity is embarassing to you.
Like bummer said, "chain gangs are everywhere".

Old 02-15-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
Amazingly, nickluva and I seem to agree on this one, although I'd stop short of saying that Sheriff Joe makes me want to leave town. Every city has its embarrassing public figures. Sheriff Joe is no more emblematic of Phoenix than Marion Berry was of Washington, D.C., Frank Rizzo was of Philadephia, Vincent Cianci was of Providence, or Daryl Gates was of Los Angeles. Those cities survived their petty dictators, and so will Phoenix.

Back to the main topic, having prisoners work on community projects is no big deal. I support it, and from what I've heard, the prisoners welcome the relief from the tedium of incarceration. The problem I have with Sheriff Joe's approach is that he has deliberately used rhetoric and symbols designed for maximum humiliation and degradation. "Chain gang" in an unfortunate phrase that recalls redneck sheriffs in the Deep South. Why not use a neutral term like "work crew" instead? Likewise, why the striped uniforms that recall another era? Putting prisoners to work is a great idea, but it should be about productive work and not needless degradation of those doing the work. I'm convinced that productive work lowers recidivism, but I'm skeptical that humiliation does the same.

I also think that Sheriff Joe has manipulated the whole chain gang program, like just about everything he touches, to yield maximum publicity for himself rather than maximum effectiveness in law enforcement and crime prevention.
Finally somebody got what I was trying to say!!! Thank you Silverbear. Sheriff Joe isn't the reason why I'm leaving town but he's one person that I won't miss at all

Old 02-15-2008, 09:56 PM

2,791 posts, read 7,469,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I thought all states do the "chain gang" thing?
Many states have work programs for prisoners, but I believe only Arizona and Alabama use the phrase "chain gang" and actually make prisoners wear chains as they work.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:26 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,896,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickluva View Post
I can't wait until I get the HELL out of this state......that's all
Don't forget to write.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:01 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,362,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post

Would you rather they wear orange jump suits than striped uniforms? Anyone who works on the side of the road tends to wear very loud, visible clothing to alert oncoming motorists. I wear a flourescent yellow and reflective jacket on my motorcycle for the same reason. Or would you rather prisoners wear street clothes so they have no problem blending in on the street if they escape? Get real. Prison is humiliating no matter how you cut it and it's supposed to be that way. Having them working in public where everyone else can see them repaying their debt to society and understand what might happen to them if they step out of line is a good thing. Once I become an AZ taxpayer, I will be happy to see prisoners working to reimburse the state for the cost of their incarceration. Sure beats having them watch cable tv or working out in the gym at my expense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area