Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 11:47 AM

183 posts, read 286,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
Would you rather they wear orange jump suits than striped uniforms? Anyone who works on the side of the road tends to wear very loud, visible clothing to alert oncoming motorists. I wear a flourescent yellow and reflective jacket on my motorcycle for the same reason. Or would you rather prisoners wear street clothes so they have no problem blending in on the street if they escape? Get real. Prison is humiliating no matter how you cut it and it's supposed to be that way. Having them working in public where everyone else can see them repaying their debt to society and understand what might happen to them if they step out of line is a good thing. Once I become an AZ taxpayer, I will be happy to see prisoners working to reimburse the state for the cost of their incarceration. Sure beats having them watch cable tv or working out in the gym at my expense.
This isn't even a prison thing. Sheriff Joe is only in charge of county jails here. Nobody in the system has done anything too severe to deserve the type of treatment that they get from this man. He glorifies himself as toughest sheriff in the nation but he has no power outside of his jurisdiction. You're from VA so you really don't know the real deal on Sheriff Joe but he's more on the lines of a dictator and will throw anybody in one of his jails and treat them like dogs just because he and his law enforcement buddies can. Good luck with your move to Arizona if you thought that Virginia was tough(i'm moving back to Maryland btw) This place is tough times 10. The average male resident is pretty much guarenteed to spend at least a night in jail here. So you have a great chance of seeing how "The Sheriff" really runs his jails

Last edited by nickluva; 02-16-2008 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: cause i can
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 11:49 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,605,040 times
Quote:
I can't wait until I get the HELL out of this state......that's all
Why? I think most states have inmates working...In California the inmates are used to pick up trash along roadways, clean rest stops, and fight brush fires...

I see nothing wrong with it. Better to have them working then sitting around or pumping iron (lifting weights)...

Old 02-16-2008, 11:50 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
Many states have work programs for prisoners, but I believe only Arizona and Alabama use the phrase "chain gang" and actually make prisoners wear chains as they work.
Alabama hasn't done that in years. It was revived in the....late 1980s? early 1990s? But isn't done now.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Why? I think most states have inmates working...In California the inmates are used to pick up trash along roadways, clean rest stops, and fight brush fires...

I see nothing wrong with it. Better to have them working then sitting around or pumping iron (lifting weights)...

that wasn't the point I was trying to prove read some more of my posts in this thread and you'll see what my problem really is

Old 02-16-2008, 12:08 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
I'll tell you what Joe Arpaio has done to benefit the County, the State of Arizona and the United States:

He raised the nations attention to the issue of Illegal Immigration. He was the first law enforcement department to have his officers become sworn federal officers, so they could arrest and detain, Illegal immigrants. Sheriff Arpaio, working with the County Attorney, prosecute Human Smuggling defendants - He has put pressure on ICE to cooperate with local law enforcement.

Because of Sheriff Arpaio's actions, other Law Enforcement agencies, all over the Country, are following suit - having their officers become sworn federal officers - arresting illegal immigrants.

The Sheriff should be complimented on enforcing the law - where the Federal Government has ignored it.

Is the Sheriff a media *****? Yep. So what?

His pink underware has been a real hit - and now, the proceeds from the sale of the pink underware are donated to Breast Cancer research - another worthy effort by the Sheriff

And, don't get him started on Animal Abuse -

Old 02-16-2008, 12:09 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,018,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickluva View Post
Big deal Maryland and Massachusetts recently both had Republican governors and those are two of the most liberal states in the country. Liberal New York City has a republican mayor so what's your point?? One monkey don't stop no show!
Maryland also uses prisoners to clean up the sides of the roads too. They may not be dressed in pink and wear chains, but it's easy to tell that they're inmates doing the cleaning.

I've got no problem with it, unless they escape.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:40 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I'll tell you what Joe Arpaio has done to benefit the County, the State of Arizona and the United States:

He raised the nations attention to the issue of Illegal Immigration. He was the first law enforcement department to have his officers become sworn federal officers, so they could arrest and detain, Illegal immigrants. Sheriff Arpaio, working with the County Attorney, prosecute Human Smuggling defendants - He has put pressure on ICE to cooperate with local law enforcement.

Because of Sheriff Arpaio's actions, other Law Enforcement agencies, all over the Country, are following suit - having their officers become sworn federal officers - arresting illegal immigrants.

The Sheriff should be complimented on enforcing the law - where the Federal Government has ignored it.

Is the Sheriff a media *****? Yep. So what?

His pink underware has been a real hit - and now, the proceeds from the sale of the pink underware are donated to Breast Cancer research - another worthy effort by the Sheriff

And, don't get him started on Animal Abuse -
THANK YOU, Greatday . . . beautifully stated!

As I have posted before, this country would be a much better place to live if we only had more Sheriff Joes at the helm.

I am always a little amazed at the "Anti-Sheriff Joe" goons out there. To be so is nothing short of being pro-illegal and/or pro-criminal and possibly anti-animals.

MY TWO CENTS WORTH

Old 02-16-2008, 01:02 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickluva View Post
...This place [County Jail?] is tough times 10. The average male resident is pretty much guarenteed to spend at least a night in jail here. So you have a great chance of seeing how "The Sheriff" really runs his jails
What? Wait wait wait... the average male resident is pretty much guaranteed to spend at least a night in jail here? How did you conclude that? You seem to have forgotten something, if you break the law, THEN you are guaranteed to end up in JAIL, and not in a 5-star hotel, it's as simple as that. Law enforcement officers from the Sheriff's department are not going to arrest you just because they have nothing to do, they arrest you if you break the law. So if you don't want to spend time in Joe's jails, don't break the law in Maricopa County, is that tough to understand?

Maybe if all Sheriff's in the United States were like Joe Arpaio, then we wouldn't have a serious problem with crime.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoaz View Post
Maryland also uses prisoners to clean up the sides of the roads too. They may not be dressed in pink and wear chains, but it's easy to tell that they're inmates doing the cleaning.

I've got no problem with it, unless they escape.
Has nothing to do with what i'm tryin to express. Again there is nothing wrong with the "chain gang".

Old 02-16-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
What? Wait wait wait... the average male resident is pretty much guaranteed to spend at least a night in jail here? How did you conclude that? You seem to have forgotten something, if you break the law, THEN you are guaranteed to end up in JAIL, and not in a 5-star hotel, it's as simple as that. Law enforcement officers from the Sheriff's department are not going to arrest you just because they have nothing to do, they arrest you if you break the law. So if you don't want to spend time in Joe's jails, don't break the law in Maricopa County, is that tough to understand?

Maybe if all Sheriff's in the United States were like Joe Arpaio, then we wouldn't have a serious problem with crime.
Yeeeeah right I hope you don't goto bed every night thinkin that.

About the pretty much guarenteed thing i'm not far off with that because i read that in some report i'll quote it as soon as I can find it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area