Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 09:19 AM

202 posts, read 408,626 times

Advertisements

Thanks very much for the reply! I'm going to start gathering estimates to replace the entire system. In doing that, I'll also have them check for any leaky ductwork or other issues that may be hidin . Assuming the system lasts, this will all occur come December or so, where going without heat or AC won't be a big deal for a few days.

If anyone has any contractor recommendations, feel free to PM them my way.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 09:24 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,353,866 times
With the 14 SEER mandate as of July 1 of this year, if your existing system is R-22, you will have no choice but to replace both the outdoor condenser and the indoor furnace/air handler, since 14 SEER systems are only available as R-410A systems.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:33 AM

331 posts, read 465,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric618 View Post
The tech came to the house this morning. 4:30 in the morning!! Lol. He was in and out in less than 30 minutes. He replaced the capacitor and it fired right up. It was $65 total. I didn't ask what it would have been if I didn't have the warranty company.

I'm glad it's fixed, but I'd also like the damn thing to just die so I can replace it and hope for the best with the warranty company. My one year is up with the in December. Come wwintertim, assuming it lasts till then, I may just replace the whole thing out of pocket. My electric bill last month was $450! That 15-year-old unit isn't doing my wallet any favors on a monthly basis!
That's great! You're once again comfortable in the house, while deciding what to do with the AC in the long run.

Old 07-29-2016, 12:54 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,924,441 times
I know it doesnt apply out there, but here in Chicagoland, I replaced my older hvac set up with a super efficient setup
98.5% efficient furnace, and a 23 SEER AC unit, and my utilities bills, per season have easily dropped 35% since then; its not a real comparison to what goes on in the desert, but, when you do replace it, you might want to consider stretching your budget to get a super efficient system, as the prices for gas/electric will only continue to rise in the future..

Old 07-29-2016, 01:09 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,994,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Glad to hear you're good to go, we just had Parker and Sons out to replace our unit. They wanted to do it next day but we waited 2 days later because of work schedules. We do not have a home warranty but I've always found that the turnaround time and cost estimates provided to me under warranties never seem to add up. I don't buy them any longer as I didn't ever see value in it. I was always provided pricing and timing that didn't add up.
I assume they didn't send Melvin?

Old 07-29-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
I know it doesnt apply out there, but here in Chicagoland, I replaced my older hvac set up with a super efficient setup
98.5% efficient furnace, and a 23 SEER AC unit, and my utilities bills, per season have easily dropped 35% since then; its not a real comparison to what goes on in the desert, but, when you do replace it, you might want to consider stretching your budget to get a super efficient system, as the prices for gas/electric will only continue to rise in the future..
You will never see a return of investment with a 98.5% efficiency furnace here in the Phoenix area. Even most Energy Star homes here in the Phoenix area use a standard 80% AFUE furnace or a heat pump, and many contractors here in the Phoenix area don't even stock 90%+ AFUE furnaces except for the major ones such as Chas Roberts.

Old 07-30-2016, 02:01 PM

yeah, that makes sense, as far as heating is concerned..but, can't you get a super high SEER Ac unit out there?

Old 07-30-2016, 07:03 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,698,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
yeah, that makes sense, as far as heating is concerned..but, can't you get a super high SEER Ac unit out there?
Seer ratings don't apply to us in the desert - 90% of a seer rating is weighted below 90 degrees - which is where we actually begin to turn on our a/c. At temps over 100, even super-whiz-bang a/c's suck more juice. So a "high seer" rating may save money, it isn't on the same scale as it would be for someone in say, Atlanta or South Carolina, where humidity forces you to turn on your a/c at 80 degrees outside temp.

You save the most money here by tightening the envelope of the house (making sure insulation is adequate), fixing leaky duct-work & multi-stage a/c's that can draw lower amps at lower temps.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Seer ratings don't apply to us in the desert - 90% of a seer rating is weighted below 90 degrees - which is where we actually begin to turn on our a/c. At temps over 100, even super-whiz-bang a/c's suck more juice. So a "high seer" rating may save money, it isn't on the same scale as it would be for someone in say, Atlanta or South Carolina, where humidity forces you to turn on your a/c at 80 degrees outside temp.

You save the most money here by tightening the envelope of the house (making sure insulation is adequate), fixing leaky duct-work & multi-stage a/c's that can draw lower amps at lower temps.
Also don't forget about the EER rating as well. The new DOE energy standards specifically requires new systems sold in four southwestern states (AZ, CA, NV, and NM) to have an EER of at least 12.2 if smaller than 4 tons, or 11.7 EER if 4 tons or larger.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post

thanks, you learn something every day!
So, if you are replacing an old, broken/inefficient AC unit now a days out there, what should you be looking for, aside from a multi stage AC?

I'll keep all this in mind when we move out there next spring..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: