Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 08:12 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,368,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I don't want to think what this place would look like without our winter visitors. I wonder how many businesses take loses serving us all summer so they can cash in over the winter. It's all a compromise but I appreciate all the amenities they leave behind for us to enjoy.
Definitely true, we wouldn't have nearly as many amenities without our tourism industry. I'm most interested in the economic impact and tax revenue as the positives to our tourism and snowbird industries, but it's a great point that a lot of entertaining and dining options are supported in significant part by non-residents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Look for bar code stickers on the rear/front window. Dead giveaway to a rental. Easy to spot, white/black sticker, usually in the far bottom or top, drivers side on the glass.
Thanks, good tip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2016, 08:42 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Not necessarily, I have one of those bar codes in my windshield and it's so that I can drive right through the gate/arm at the car wash because I bought the unlimited car washes for $15/month thing. When I see other cars in the area with a bar code I assume it's for the same thing, lots of people have this.
Inside or outside of the glass?
Usually rentals will be on the outside, drivers back glass or drivers side rear door glass.

Old 11-08-2016, 08:44 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,281,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Inside or outside of the glass and front or back?
Usually rentals will be on the outside, drivers back glass or drivers side rear door glass.
Inside the front driver side windshield, a thin bar code. I don't know how you'd be able to tell from the road whether the bar code is inside or outside of the windshield anyway. Every time I go in for a car wash there's other cars with the same bar code so I know it is at least somewhat common.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:16 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Inside the front driver side windshield, a thin bar code. I don't know how you'd be able to tell from the road whether the bar code is inside or outside of the windshield anyway. Every time I go in for a car wash there's other cars with the same bar code so I know it is at least somewhat common.
IME rental bar codes are not in the windshield, but are usually on the driver's side window or a back side window.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:21 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,141,375 times
Wouldn't rentals imply someone is here for a short term visit rather than actual 'snow birds' who are here for months? I can't imagine a 3 month rental car would financially make sense.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:25 AM

586 posts, read 541,787 times
I rent for 4 months each winter. Cost is about $2000 for the whole time. That to me makes it better than driving down or buying a car and leaving it year round. I don't have repair bills or risk factor of driving in the winter to get there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
Wouldn't rentals imply someone is here for a short term visit rather than actual 'snow birds' who are here for months? I can't imagine a 3 month rental car would financially make sense.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:31 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,141,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates419 View Post
I rent for 4 months each winter. Cost is about $2000 for the whole time. That to me makes it better than driving down or buying a car and leaving it year round. I don't have repair bills or risk factor of driving in the winter to get there.
Interesting...I guess the longer you rent for the cheaper the rate. I've had a rental for a week before that cost me a grand.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:36 AM

586 posts, read 541,787 times
I rent in 4, four week periods each winter. That way I don't need a ride to and from airport and I go back to check on business 4 times each winter. This year I have secured $652 Can $ for each rental period. For us 28 days is maximum for credit card insurance as well so I plan it that way. No way I can own a vehicle for that amount.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
Interesting...I guess the longer you rent for the cheaper the rate. I've had a rental for a week before that cost me a grand.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:52 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,874,291 times

Old 11-08-2016, 03:39 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,079,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Bingo! ^^^! All of us are on a website where people who are supposedly sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fricken busy have found the time to log thousands of posts. So to the tightly wound impatient people: I say, stay off the forums and give yourself the gift of several hours more per week! Don't shoot the messenger. This is a logical statement.
Theres this amazing new invention called a "calendar". On this.. "calendar", there are twelve different "months".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Month

Each month has between 28 to 31... "DAYS"... and seven of these.. "DAYS" makes up a week. If you are still following along here; "DAYS" are made up of 24 ... "hours"..

During the ... "week", different things usually happen on different days; and during these.. "days".. people do different things at different "hours" of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area