Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 06:43 AM

943 posts, read 2,521,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Get tinted windows, park in a parking garage, or try and find one of the few trees to park under for shade, thats about it. Oh, maybe throw a towel over the steering wheel and get one of those windshield visors.

Or just become a vampire and only come out at night.
You just brought up a funny experience. One time when we were visiting PHX, there was a parking spot under a tree at the hotel. We couldn't figure out why it wasn't taken. We found out the next day. Our car was COVERED in bird feces. It was amusing at the time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 06:19 PM

22 posts, read 40,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysovereign View Post
I want to mention that I have close friends who tell me things like "You won't be able to touch the steering wheel in your car because it gets so hot!" or "You'll get second degree burns if you sit on your car seat in the Summer!".
TIA!
Hey, you'll save money on buying a frying pan here, just use the hood of your car and a little butter.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:32 AM

932 posts, read 1,964,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Also, Denver at least has 245 days a year of mostly sunny and partly cloudy, NOT 300, which is an old myth. Phoenix gets 296 days a year of mostly sunny and partly cloudy. Source: weatherbase.com. In Phoenix, that's almost two extra months of sunshine.
Last time I checked Phoenix now averages 211 days of mostly sunny weather. something like 67-70 days of partly sunny weather and I think 85 days of completely cloudy or rainy weather. Strange because Flagstaff(at elevation of 7000 ft averages more days of sunshine) I guess the higher the alttitude the more days of sunshine.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,260 times
Hi

I lived in Vegas for a couple of years, until the Yucca Mtn project was defunded. I'm now considering Phoenix. It seems like a more diverse economy than Sin City, and similar living costs.

Are there any independent film theatres in the metro?

Does anyone have any info on the ballroom hustle dance scene?

What is the water situation? Does Phx waste most of its water on lawns like Vegas?

I'm a 40+ single male, so the "family-friendly" criteria doesn't apply to my relocation decision.

Thanks!

Old 11-29-2009, 08:47 PM

234 posts, read 719,180 times
I lived in a hot desert for a while and here are my vehicle recommendations for you:

Pick a vehicle with a very LIGHT colored paint, it will help reflect the sun's rays and thus keep the car much cooler (don't buy a BLACK car). Whites and light beiges are the best. Also pick light colored interiors because they will absorb heat as well. I would go with a beige cloth interior (NO LEATHER)!

Get one of those ridiculous steering wheel covers (the fluffy/cloth ones), they wont burn your hands the way the leather ones do. Don't get a rubber one!

Tinted windows AND window shades/covers. You can put up shades on the dash and in the back, they are reflective and keep the sun out.

Always try to park in the shade!

AND make sure you have plenty of coolant in your engine, and also carry some water in your vehicle at all times (this can be used to put into your coolant in case you run out, OR can be used for emergency drinking water!).

Good luck!

Old 11-29-2009, 09:26 PM

45 posts, read 118,201 times
I don't like steering wheel covers - I keep a pair of gloves in my car instead

I've also noticed that sometimes it matters which direction you face your car when parking. Of course that depends on the time of day and how long you'll be parked there.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:17 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,654,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysovereign View Post
"You won't be able to touch the steering wheel in your car because it gets so hot!"

TIA!
There's moments. Take the precautions others mentioned, get auto-start on your car so the a/c cools things down a bit or do what I did until I got auto-start on mine for those hot situations - keep a pair of cooking gloves under your seat! [I didn't like the look of steering wheel cover on mine] Never know when you'll be parking on someone's driveway w/o shade for a few hot, sunny hours while visiting them, to the lake or to the river for tubing for the day where there's no shade to park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area