Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2017, 09:16 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,200,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I totally get the tiny house thing, it's just not entirely for me.
It's not for me at all. All I'll concede is that it may be right as starter houses for young families.

I lived my working life in such a house. I had a hard career and I scrimped and saved. I want my reward now! I have perhaps 2-3 decades left and I want to spend the wealth I worked so hard to achieve by spoiling myself. I worked for it, I deserve it. Put me down for one of those 2,500 sqft houses please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 10:23 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,186,178 times
Yeah, while we are off-topic of the OP...I'll take my home over living in an RV any day of the week. Micro Homes and all this touted "Urban Living" really forces you to have to rely on others for your existence.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:35 AM

I tried RV living and the first year was great. The next 2 years were hell. I finally found my dream home, bought it, sold off the 5th wheeler a few months later, and the puller truck a few months after that. I don't miss those days one bit. I hope you fare better than I did.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:44 AM

Sorry...I tend to compare those Micro Homes to an RV with all their pull-out doodads and folding what-cha-ma-callits. I actually love "camping" in the RV...just wouldn't want to live in it permanently. We live in a house just North of asufan...not quite as fancy but definitely not cramped.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:51 PM

2,076 posts, read 1,658,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
Not this is not terribly NEW information - but nice article about how the Phoenix area has once again become a hotbed for LA/Orange County transplants.

Leaving coastal California is a 'no-brainer' for some as housing costs rise - LA Times
The "comp" prices on that "Flip or Flop" show for Southern California are really high. It's amazing how they can even find buyers consistently. Do they have a JD/PHD and make 1.9 million a year or something? It looks like the middle class in Southern Cal is priced out. Hence, some of them move to Phoenix. Meanwhile, that couple is getting divorced. All that money from the "flips" couldn't save the marriage. Go figure.
Flip or Flop: Tarek & Christina El Moussa Sign on for More Episodes While Divorcing

Old 04-26-2017, 10:46 AM

I was recently trying to help a friend who lives in Montrose in a rental and retires in 4 years find a place she could afford to buy and not be too far from her family but in a nice house she could afford.

I came up with only one alternative but I told her she would have to buy now (because of rising prices and interest) and also because she would want to take out the mortgage BEFORE she retires hand her salary drops. That was 6 months ago and she wouldn't listen to me. I've given up. There is no way she will find any acceptable house in 4 years. She works for LA Dept of W&P. Good salary, good retirement pay, but she isn't going to find a house that she both likes and can afford.

She is going to be a very disappointed woman in a few years. I did my best to get her set up but you can't force people to make good decisions.

LA/OC is quickly becoming unaffordable except for very well off people and for people who already own property.

There are still plenty of good buys in PHX especially when compared to comps in LA/OC. In PHX almost twice the house for same house price in LA/OC.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:50 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,821,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
The "comp" prices on that "Flip or Flop" show for Southern California are really high. It's amazing how they can even find buyers consistently. Do they have a JD/PHD and make 1.9 million a year or something? It looks like the middle class in Southern Cal is priced out. Hence, some of them move to Phoenix. Meanwhile, that couple is getting divorced. All that money from the "flips" couldn't save the marriage. Go figure.
Flip or Flop: Tarek & Christina El Moussa Sign on for More Episodes While Divorcing
Those shows are generally unrealistic. I've seen a newly married couple buying a house in LA proper and somehow was able to get it for 750K before. Like, I don't know of ANY newly married couple that has that much cash sitting around unless they both came from wealthy families.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Those shows are generally unrealistic. I've seen a newly married couple buying a house in LA proper and somehow was able to get it for 750K before. Like, I don't know of ANY newly married couple that has that much cash sitting around unless they both came from wealthy families.
Only just the one you named. Or so few as to not be worth counting.

Old 04-28-2017, 02:48 PM

187 posts, read 306,289 times
Gosh, really enjoyed reading this post while nursing a cold/virus. I feel very similar to many of you posting here who wants to leave CA. But, in my case, it is leaving the Googleville after living here for almost 40 years in a same house I purchased. Our town is so out of touch to people like me and cater to very rich, young and mobile, families with $400K income, hipsters or poor.

Because we are retired, better or best medical care is prerequisite and it looks like Phoenix area has some ok to better medical care. I am seriously considering Phoenix area for this reason too.

Old 04-28-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasu View Post
Gosh, really enjoyed reading this post while nursing a cold/virus. I feel very similar to many of you posting here who wants to leave CA. But, in my case, it is leaving the Googleville after living here for almost 40 years in a same house I purchased. Our town is so out of touch to people like me and cater to very rich, young and mobile, families with $400K income, hipsters or poor.

Because we are retired, better or best medical care is prerequisite and it looks like Phoenix area has some ok to better medical care. I am seriously considering Phoenix area for this reason too.
Getting Priced Out of CA

OK to better? Cardon Cancer Center, Mayo Clinic and Mayo Hospital, Barrow Neurological Institute, AZ Heart Hospital, Phoenix Children's (okay you wouldn't be using this one, but still)...It's not Cedars Sinai or anything but we have some world renowned facilities in the PHX area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area