Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 10:39 AM

68 posts, read 68,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Don't worry...every so often a nice decline of about 30-40% in housing prices happens. Nobody sees it coming and everyone says you are crazy if you say it will happen.
Fingers crossed. Both PHX and SoCal have excellent job markets too. At least in the hospitality/travel industry

I was reading a post on a similar forum for San Diego, and how young first time renters and buyers are having such a hard time because they are asking for 'too much'. Sure, living right in the middle of San Diego or Hollywood would be nice, but EVERYONE wants to live there, hence the prices we see. It's not a very smart reason to move somewhere 'just because', and I never thought it was cool to follow the crowd. What IS smart, however, is renting in Escondido or La Mesa. 30 minutes from downtown SD, 20 minutes from the ocean, and a 1 bedroom apartment will only cost me $1000 a month. Hmmm... am I talking myself away from PHX?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 10:44 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,307,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWtoPHX View Post
Fingers crossed. Both PHX and SoCal have excellent job markets too. At least in the hospitality/travel industry

I was reading a post on a similar forum for San Diego, and how young first time renters and buyers are having such a hard time because they are asking for 'too much'. Sure, living right in the middle of San Diego or Hollywood would be nice, but EVERYONE wants to live there, hence the prices we see. It's not a very smart reason to move somewhere 'just because', and I never thought it was cool to follow the crowd. What IS smart, however, is renting in Escondido or La Mesa. 30 minutes from downtown SD, 20 minutes from the ocean, and a 1 bedroom apartment will only cost me $1000 a month. Hmmm... am I talking myself away from PHX?
Certainly the grass is mostly almost greener away from Phoenix.

Old 04-29-2017, 12:27 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,165,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Correct...part of AJ is in Maricopa, part of it is in Pinal County. Should be signs when you drive out that way.
Okay! Almost there now! What you mean: you're saying the freeway is good to the Maricopa Co. line, then bad after? Or vice versa? Lookin at Gold Canyon (among other places) which I bet is in Pinal Co.

Haven't driven out that way since years ago last camping trip years ago.

Quote:

Just read the other post, but ... because the other traffic lane always seems to be moving faster?

And hell yeah, if you wanna live down SD area, go a few towns up the coast! Or some SD-ians live south of the border, forgot the name of the place (not Estero Beach or Encinata) and live on the cheap, cross into SD for provisions. It's a poor man's way to live in a nice house particularly if they habla Espanol. Yo hablo un poco.

SoCal and PHX are not that dissimilar except 2 things: (1) cost of living better in PHX, (2) the weather of course.

Old 04-29-2017, 02:00 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,349,127 times
Quote:

You are fooling yourself if you think you can get a decent apt. even in the inland cities - we just moved our son n fiance over here because in San Marcos they are paying 1500.00 a month for a 1 bdrm apt. Whereas here in CG they are going to get a 3 bdrm HOUSE for 1000.00.

Escondido has some VERY sketchy areas - so be careful if you decide to go there.

Old 04-29-2017, 03:41 PM

Pick your choice: you can have one of these two:

1.) $1,500/month for a nice 3BR 3BA open split plan (MBR one side of house, other BRs other side of house) rental house, master suite, kitchen island + pool, 2 car garage and room for 2 guest cars in the driveway, in a beautiful, clean community in Phoenix.

2.) $1,500/month for a nice 1BR 1BA apartment, a car port, and on street parking for your guests in SoCal. You get a communal swimming pool with that too.

I am a PHX landlord. I own a SFR rental exactly like #1. I just called my BFF and he has an apartment exactly like #2 in SoCal.

Both are real numbers. Pick one.

Old 04-29-2017, 05:57 PM

68 posts, read 68,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Pick your choice: you can have one of these two:

1.) $1,500/month for a nice 3BR 3BA open split plan (MBR one side of house, other BRs other side of house) rental house, master suite, kitchen island + pool, 2 car garage and room for 2 guest cars in the driveway, in a beautiful, clean community in Phoenix.

2.) $1,500/month for a nice 1BR 1BA apartment, a car port, and on street parking for your guests in SoCal. You get a communal swimming pool with that too.

I am a PHX landlord. I own a SFR rental exactly like #1. I just called my BFF and he has an apartment exactly like #2 in SoCal.

Both are real numbers. Pick one.
Ouch. I think the smart decision is obvious here. Then again, how do you think the income difference would work in CA? I'm sure a career in the hospitality/travel industry is more lucrative there.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:48 PM

656 posts, read 815,573 times
Let all the Los Angelenos come, but they must come to buy or create jobs.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Ouch. I think the smart decision is obvious here. Then again, how do you think the income difference would work in CA? I'm sure a career in the hospitality/travel industry is more lucrative there.
Both me and my friend are landlords. He does apartments, I do SFRs. We are both running businesses in our retirements. I also have a second BFF who also rents SFRs in PHX. He's the one who got me started.

I can't speak for employees. I'm a business owner/operator. I do it all from home, online, Internet, cellphone, scanner... Occasional business travel. To Phoenix.

But really, those are true numbers. My BFF rents an apartment 20 miles from the two apartment buildings he and his bro own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by More Rock View Post
Let all the Los Angelenos come, but they must come to buy or create jobs.
Some of you Phoenicians live in SFRs owned by me and my buddy. Nice houses! I pay taxes and collect rental taxes in PHX too. I employ PHX contractors and business too; I contribute to your economy in a positive way.

The word is Angelenos. Lose the Los. That is incorrectimundo!

Please don't make me fill you in with the official Spanish name for L.A. If I tell ya I gotta kill ya! Many words...

ETA:

Aw hell. "El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciúncula."

"The Town of Our Lady the Queen of Angels of the Little Portion." You can also use El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles if you value brevity.

I'm not going to track you down. I gave up killing when I was younger.

Last edited by Lovehound; 04-29-2017 at 08:40 PM..

Old 04-30-2017, 01:04 PM

179 posts, read 302,167 times
We are also looking for more room, place to breathe, less hassle ie trying to time the traffic and crowds when shopping. It works ok to a certain extent here because we are now retired but like many there is nothing that is keeping us in the Bay Area. Married happily and no kids. We are fed up with with our local and state governments. One possibility is doing a 1031 exchange for our Bay Area rental property into Phonenix area house. That will certainly put us into Phoenix. I like N Scottsdale area - should check out more. If doing a 1031 exchange for our rental, it will be around 1 mil.

Old 04-30-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasu View Post
We are also looking for more room, place to breathe, less hassle ie trying to time the traffic and crowds when shopping. It works ok to a certain extent here because we are now retired but like many there is nothing that is keeping us in the Bay Area. Married happily and no kids. We are fed up with with our local and state governments. One possibility is doing a 1031 exchange for our Bay Area rental property into Phonenix area house. That will certainly put us into Phoenix. I like N Scottsdale area - should check out more. If doing a 1031 exchange for our rental, it will be around 1 mil.
So much similarity between you and I! I too own rentals except mine are in Phoenix. I too am retired. No kids. Totally, totally fed up with local and state governments, and it's looking like the state government is ramping up to go after us!!! I'm not your typical Californian according to who Californians voted for and who I voted for: 'nuff said! I tell you, if they lay one little finger on Prop 13 I am absolutely out of here if that effects residential primary residences. Or if they start slapping on more user fees. The new auto registration will harm me too since I covet a new auto this summer. It's just the total picture of indebted slavery to the state, while at the same time the state is handing out free money to people who can't or won't work.

Just a note, have you checked out N. Scottsdale prices? But OTOH if you have a nice house, rental or both like me, then quite likely both of us can afford if not top end NS houses at least nicer houses than we live in, in California.

I'm not sure if one of my ideas will work but I'm thinking a good time to move would be when one of my SFRs goes vacant, move in and start getting my stuff CA --> AZ, and when my CA house is empty make that last trip on I-10 and put my CA house up for sale. Then moved into a house I already own (temporarily switched to primary residence not rental) I can go shopping for my real home, buy and move in, then either sell or re-rent the SFR I lived in for a few/several months.

And the additional benefit, I can do the handyman stuff myself on most jobs and make a bigger profit (or smaller loss) on my rentals.

You appear to be in a good position to decide where you want your lives to go. And the way I see California going perhaps we may end up neighbors in NS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area