Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 08:58 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,188,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Not sure if there were any statistics on that or how much of a deterrent Tent City was..."was" since Penzone is closing it. Supported Sheriff Joe for 20+ years but even most Republicans knew it was time for him to retire. HE just didn't know it
I totally concur. The Tent City was a symbol, a marketing tool. It was intended to send the message, "If you intend to commit crimes, Arizona is not the state to do it in." On that level I think it succeeded. Did it prevent some recidivism? I have no statistics, I think it could have reduced it to a degree, and could have also given criminals some thought that maybe the crime isn't worth the time--if they could end up spending their incarceration in Tent City. I doubt there will ever be any real statics even if that were possible--but it certainly put criminals on notice and may have given quite a few the message: "Don't do your crime in AZ." How many actually listened? Nobody can tell.

Yes it was his time to go, and he did end up with some legal problems (but not common criminal problems) of his own. I can't imagine anybody who is well informed who wouldn't agree that his time had come. I think we can all agree that it was time for Sherfif Joe to retire, probably ole Joe himself too! Oh and yes, he also got voted out. That's a good time to retire!

He was a fascinating part of Arizona's most interesting history!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 09:10 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,691,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
Sheriff Joe saved this state millions by creating an atmosphere that caused criminals to bypass AZ and go to liberal states so if they got caught they would end up in a country club prison not a tent city wearing pink undies and eating bologna sandwiches..
Just because you say something over and over doesn't make it true. Do you honestly expect people to believe you when you suggest that someone about to commit a crime thinks of Tent City and then heads to CA? How absurd. If there is any bit of truth to your suggestion, the "millions saved" were negated by his utter waste with us footing the bill.

Tent City was a tool used to get Joe re-elected by those gullible enough to buy into his marketing pitch and that's it. When it's closure was announced, many detainees expressed their dissatisfaction because they prefer Tent City due to the freedom it provides over a traditional setting. It was hardly a deterrent.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:15 AM

I doubt anybody can support any claim in the dollar statistics resultant from Sheriff Joe's term in office. But the psychological effects cannot be denied, although perhaps also not measurable. His Tent City certainly made the news all across the US. "Criminals: If you want to commit crimes, Arizona is not the place for you. Pick one of the other 49 choices!"

Old 05-02-2017, 02:20 PM

40 posts, read 77,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Those shows are generally unrealistic. I've seen a newly married couple buying a house in LA proper and somehow was able to get it for 750K before. Like, I don't know of ANY newly married couple that has that much cash sitting around unless they both came from wealthy families.
My wife and I have been married a year now. We purchased our first home together after 6 months in Huntington Beach. We paid $740,000 for a newly remodeled 4 bed 2 bath 1250sq foot house on a 6,600 SF lot. We're less than 2 miles away from the beach. We both have well paying careers. We put about $45,000 down and used my VA loan from having been in the military. That being said, we had looked into moving to Phoenix before we got married but decided against it...I've recently looked at different angles, and I' starting to think that would have been the right move. Seriously considering it for the near future.

Old 05-02-2017, 05:09 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,955,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post

I was annoyed when I pointed out same and was criticized. I'm annoyed that we lost Sheriff Joe, a hero figure to me.

"Hey if you don't like wearing pink underwear and living in an outdoor prison without A/C, you have 49 other states to pick which you want to commit your crimes in." -- Lovehound said that!

I hope Arizona will maintain its historic conservative stance. I remember when it was called Land of Goldwater.
Sheriff Joe is loved by many in other states and countries.

Old 05-02-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Sheriff Joe is loved by many in other states and countries.
Exactly the point. Those uneducated on the topic buy into the PR nonsense. The gullible love him.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:31 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,988,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Exactly the point. Those uneducated on the topic buy into the PR nonsense. The gullible love him.
They don't have to pay for him either.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
And you know this from... Detroit?

Old 05-02-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
And you know this from... Detroit?
I live in the Phoenix area. People relocate. It's clear that rednecks from elsewhere love the tough on prisoners, anti-brown people rhetoric, but are ignorant to the facts. The fact that people from around the country know about a freakin county sheriff is evidence alone that he was a self-serving marketing machine and nothing more. How many well-known county sheriffs are there? If they were knowledgeable about the utter waste that this blowhard stuck us with, they couldn't with any legitimacy, consider themselves "conservatives".

Old 05-02-2017, 10:06 PM

13,444 posts, read 7,441,767 times
Quote:
Sheriff Joe saved this state millions by creating an atmosphere that caused criminals to bypass AZ and go to liberal states so if they got caught they would end up in a country club prison not a tent city wearing pink undies and eating bologna sandwiches..
I disagree with that statement crime is a big issues here my neighborhood is having big problem theft and the police are not doing much about it. You see all those people holding up signs begging for money to feed their drug habits where do you think they get money from walking up into my neighborhood and taking things from cars and garages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area