Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 10:00 PM

6 posts, read 7,089 times

Advertisements

Mayflys and Shedflys are we used to call them in Northern Ontario. Lots of them meant the fishing would be crappy. They got into everything if you didnt keep things covered. Yukkkk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 12:52 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,539,701 times
I lived in the Maryvale area for 30 years. The last 10 we lived close to 71st and Encanto and we had cicadas every single year! Never missed a year.

Been here in Oregon for 9 years and we never hear them... and I am so thankful for that.
They drove me insane... yup, I'm there.

I can understand the 7 or 17 year incubation period, but I always assumed that a new batch hatches every year.
Sorta like human babies, it may take 9 months to grow one, but other babies are born during the time within those 9 months.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:52 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,156,096 times
Theres cicadas out there ?? I thought it was that ringing in my ears !!

Old 07-08-2016, 08:57 PM

123 posts, read 260,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I've heard them in only one place so far. Shopping center at Mayo and Scottsdale on Saturday. I thought there was something wrong with the electrical wires until it hit me. I kind of like hearing them. Especially driving down a long road and the buzzing comes and goes depending on the tree you're passing.
You wouldn't like hearing them if they were right outside your window making that awful noise all night long.

I thought they were only in the more rural places in AZ like Sedona...but no, they are here in Old Town Scottsdale too, and driving me nuts.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:24 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,990,820 times
Are you sure it's not toads? I'm listening to them screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeech out by my pool now. They laid eggs in it last week and I had a dead adult in the skimmer last weekend.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:34 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,822,778 times
I have a tree right next to my window which is right next to my pillow, where the cicadas love to be noisy. Naturally, they only are noisy when I am trying to sleep in the early mornings. It's just as bad as having an upstairs neighbor.

Old 07-09-2016, 02:13 AM

394 posts, read 343,298 times
I won't pretend to know how disturbing the sound of Cicadas are (I dont even know with they are)... But...

I'm 1/2 mile or less from a major freeway in SoCal and have been in multiple locations throughout my life... I'm hearing freeway traffic as I type... I've also lived where I heard fog horn (consistently) from local light tower... I'm certain getting used to the sounds I've acclimated to are no less difficult then native nature in phoenix...

When I visit family in mid west - and hear all the crazy insects - its bizarre, but peaceful...

You get used to EVERYTHING... but complaining about natural sounds is goofy to me.

I'm sure there will be people that insist I don't understand the magnitude of this audible nuisance... And I'm sure those same people don't think I understand the magnitude of the traffic problems, or the high rent or the increasing costs of home purchase or the new tax increases.... Newsflash! Yes - its worse elsewhere... All of it.

Stop complaining and realize your peace!

Old 07-09-2016, 11:25 AM

123 posts, read 260,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Rookie View Post
I won't pretend to know how disturbing the sound of Cicadas are (I dont even know with they are)... But...

I'm 1/2 mile or less from a major freeway in SoCal and have been in multiple locations throughout my life... I'm hearing freeway traffic as I type... I've also lived where I heard fog horn (consistently) from local light tower... I'm certain getting used to the sounds I've acclimated to are no less difficult then native nature in phoenix...

When I visit family in mid west - and hear all the crazy insects - its bizarre, but peaceful...

You get used to EVERYTHING... but complaining about natural sounds is goofy to me.

I'm sure there will be people that insist I don't understand the magnitude of this audible nuisance... And I'm sure those same people don't think I understand the magnitude of the traffic problems, or the high rent or the increasing costs of home purchase or the new tax increases.... Newsflash! Yes - its worse elsewhere... All of it.

Stop complaining and realize your peace!
If you've never heard the sound of Cicadas, then you probably shouldn't be telling others what they should complain about.

This isn't like birds chirping.

Imagine sleeping right next to a high-voltage power line that is emitting sounds up to 100db. That should give you a better idea of what we're talking about here.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:39 AM

394 posts, read 343,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Jack View Post
If you've never heard the sound of Cicadas, then you probably shouldn't be telling others what they should complain about.

This isn't like birds chirping.

Imagine sleeping right next to a high-voltage power line that is emitting sounds up to 100db. That should give you a better idea of what we're talking about here.
I'm sure it's as bad as all the other things people complain about here (traffic, costs, heat, etc)... My point was - everything is relative and often it's not as extreme as implied... But of course there's this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Rookie View Post

I'm sure there will be people that insist I don't understand the magnitude of this audible nuisance...

Old 07-11-2016, 11:45 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,237,876 times
You can get used to it. Way back in the swamp cooler days we slept with some of the windows open. We had several trees the cicadas loved. It became part of the background noise. They don't bother me.

Nowadays, I can barely hear them when I'm inside. Seems like there aren't as many this year. At least in my neighborhood. Went looking at a local park last night. Saw some grub shells, heard maybe 3 or 4 total.

If you really don't like them cut your trees down. They live in the trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area