Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 08:50 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
It’s simple-

Per Capita= dividing the area's total income by its total population
Average Hourly Wage= The average hourly wage of those actually working

Per Capita is useful for some research but really doesn’t tell the full story about salaries in an area, what you really want to know is the average hourly wage.
Isn't median better than average, considering the hockey stick shaped wage disparity found everywhere?

And there is no way the median person is earning $23/hr here, there is just no way. The average might be over $20/hr thanks to a few people at the top that make a lot of money, but I guarantee that the middle 50% of earners here probably earn between $24k to $60k/yr, with the median closer to the $24k than to the $60k. Again, $14-$15/hr is probably the median

Of course people who live in Gilbert or Chandler or Scottsdale or the Paradise Valley section of Phoenix wouldn't necessarily know this, because they wouldn't be exposed to lower earners in their day to day life. But having lived in Central Phoenix the last four years, I see the whole spectrum every day, so I know how both halves live

Last edited by FirebirdCamaro1220; 10-09-2017 at 09:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 09:16 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,302,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Becaue only 1/3 of the County has a degree and his point was about people with degrees. It actually makes perfect sense.
Indeed. Certainly better to be educated, on average, than not.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Isn't median better than average, considering the hockey stick shaped wage disparity found everywhere?

And there is no way the median person is earning $23/hr here, there is just no way. The average might be over $20/hr thanks to a few people at the top that make a lot of money, but I guarantee that the middle 50% of earners here probably earn between $24k to $60k/yr, with the median closer to the $24k than to the $60k. Again, $14-$15/hr is probably the median

Of course people who live in Gilbert or Chandler or Scottsdale or the Paradise Valley section of Phoenix wouldn't necessarily know this, because they wouldn't be exposed to lower earners in their day to day life. But having lived in Central Phoenix the last four years, I see the whole spectrum every day, so I know how both halves live
Well, you're getting a little off the subject here since the OP is a dual income entity both with college degrees. Them there degrees are generally a good thing to get and it's too bad that folks who don't have them might only be making $17 an hour, but supply and demand generally sets salaries like it or not and generally college educated folks are more in demand.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Well, you're getting a little off the subject here since the OP is a dual income entity both with college degrees. Them there degrees are generally a good thing to get and it's too bad that folks who don't have them might only be making $17 an hour, but supply and demand generally sets salaries like it or not and generally college educated folks are more in demand.
Only 1 in 3 people in this country are smart enough to go to college and get a Bachelor's Degree, so yes the median earner in this country doesn't have a 4 year degree. But there are still trades that while they don't pay Google or Facebook money, still pay decent.

And if everyone was college educated, wouldn't it dilute the value of that degree?

Old 10-09-2017, 09:39 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,735,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
From my understanding one of our biggest employers in Phoenix are call centers (again in terms of sheer numbers of employees), and they average about $14-15 per hour.

Of course then you add Walmart, our biggest employer in Phoenix, and it suppresses the wages quite a bit.

I was just in the job market and I feel really privileged to be getting a job paying more than $17/hr. Normally that $17/hr is market rate for the fields I have been looking in. I would say $14/hr or so for non-college educated and about $17-18 for college educated is general market rate. Unless you are in tech or engineering which tends to pay higher overall.
We do have a lot of call centers but it’s nowhere near the biggest employer or industry in Phoenix or Arizona. In Phoenix the state of AZ is by far the largest employer and Banner Health is the largest for profit employer. Overall call centers employee about 110,000 people here while healthcare is over 320,000, technology jobs number over 150,000 and have been growing rapidly in recent years. Overall STEM occupations number about 220,000 as of 2016.

Wal-Mart has a lot of employees here, about 34,000 state wide but Banner is larger with just over 40,000. Wal-Mart is the largest employer in something like 21 states now.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Only 1 in 3 people in this country are smart enough to go to college and get a Bachelor's Degree, so yes the median earner in this country doesn't have a 4 year degree. But there are still trades that while they don't pay Google or Facebook money, still pay decent.

And if everyone was college educated, wouldn't it dilute the value of that degree?
I still don't understand what your post has to do with the OP's post. Might as well be talking about kangaroo toes.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:42 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,957,148 times
Quote:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...Ww3RhKYU6XZ4-y

Here's another source, putting per capita income just over $27k/year for Maricopa County
Based on data from 2006-2010, so 7-11 years ago. The BLS data is more recent, but doesn't fit the narrative.

I will be real though. If you have a degree or professional training of some sort, you will do very well in Phoenix. If you have a high school diploma, expect call centers and food service. Compared to other metros, our Bachelor's degree attainment is fairly low. So yes, there are a lot of low income earners in the valley.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
Based on data from 2006-2010, so 7-11 years ago. The BLS data is more recent, but doesn't fit the narrative.

I will be real though. If you have a degree or professional training of some sort, you will do very well in Phoenix. If you have a high school diploma, expect call centers and food service. Compared to other metros, our Bachelor's degree attainment is fairly low. So yes, there are a lot of low income earners in the valley.
I don't have a college degree, and I do well, but then again, I have a Class A CDL and with experience. So there are some trades you can work without a 4 year degree. But yeah, the median worker is not making $45-50k/year here, that would be like the 65th-70th percentile here

Old 10-10-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I don't have a college degree, and I do well, but then again, I have a Class A CDL and with experience. So there are some trades you can work without a 4 year degree. But yeah, the median worker is not making $45-50k/year here, that would be like the 65th-70th percentile here
I'm retired and have a Master's degree and an equivalent of a couple others (just to clarify I'm not defending those that don't have a degree) but I've also been around the block at 63 and there are MANY MANY people in MANY MANY states that have done quite well without a degree. It's certainly quite possible. There are many bright, ambitious people without degrees who have done quite well. Obviously, a degree is usually a plus and even if not directly related to the eventual chosen job/career indicates a certainly level of ability that more often than not those that who don't or can't get a degree lack. So, it makes sense that those with a degree, will, on average, have a higher hourly wage/career success.

Last edited by Burkmere; 10-10-2017 at 04:04 PM..

Old 10-11-2017, 06:53 AM

14 posts, read 12,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
I still don't understand what your post has to do with the OP's post. Might as well be talking about kangaroo toes.
Yeah - this took a turn I wasn't expecting I'm pretty confident that we can both find jobs here and live comfortably - especially because my company has a large office downtown that I can transfer to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area