Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 10:09 PM

57 posts, read 71,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
You're back! I'm glad to hear you found somewhere more to your liking. Just wanted to correct any impressions on the crime issue though. Here's the latest stats.

As you can see, Atlanta leads Phoenix in crime rate in every category but car theft. In some, like robbery, Atlanta rate is more than double and TRIPLE in aggravated assault. It doesn't sound like a very safe place to me if it is three times worse than here.
Wrong, wrong, wrong! Now my turn to in fact correct you!

Firstly I said that the Phoenix metro area is more dangerous than the Atlanta metro area. Not the city of Pheonix, nor the city of Atlanta, but the entire metropolitan area.

Here is the list from September of 2006 (not 2005) that appeared in the Morgan Quinto report...

Most Dangerous 25 Metropolitan Areas:

1 Detroit-Livonia-Dearborn, MI M.D.
2 Memphis, TN-MS-AR
3 Pine Bluff, AR
4 Las Vegas-Paradise, NV
5 Florence, SC
6 Myrtle Beach, SC
7 Flint, MI
8 Stockton, CA
9 Jackson, TN
10 Shreveport-Bossier City, LA
11 Miami-Dade County, FL M.D.
12 Charlotte-Gastonia, NC-SC
13 Hot Springs, AR
14 Saginaw, MI
15 Albuquerque, NM
16 Little Rock, AR
17 Tucson, AZ
18 Yakima, WA
19 Oakland-Fremont, CA M.D.
20 Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ
21 Macon, GA
22 Rochester, MN
23 Modesto, CA
24 Sumter, SC
25 Alexandria, LA

The Atlanta metropolitan area does not appear because the crime in Atlanta is in the south part of the city near the airport. Keep out of that area, and the chances of seeing criminal activity is small. Phoenix however is a different matter as the crime is spread throughout the entire metropolitan area.

Phoenix metropolitan crime is much higher, and for some reason, Tempe is not included in the metropolitan area. If Tempe was to be included, then the Phoenix metropolitan crime would rise further up that list than it currently is.

Atlanta metropolitan crime has been dropping steadily in recent years as the CBD (downtown) and midtown clean-up following the 1996 Olympic Games continues at a rapid rate. However, Phoenix metropolitan crime continues to increase annually as it continues to rise up that most dangerous list.

Last edited by AussieGirl; 12-14-2006 at 10:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2006, 10:33 PM

57 posts, read 71,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
I too now live in the Atlanta area, having moved from Northeast Mesa, the Red Mountain area which I would recommend to the op. I've lived here about a year and a half, and lived in Mesa just under 10 months. The first spot I lived in was an apartment in Chandler for 1 month or so. Originally I am from Chicago. When I first moved to Atlanta, I loved it. I was impressed by the green grass after coming from the dry, brown desert, as well as the downtown area.
I live in midtown, and there appears to be many things to do to keep fit. Piedmont Park is very close, and it's easy to ride, walk and skate all around midtown, downtown, Virginia Highlands, Little Five Points and Buckhead as well. There is no way on earth that things move slower in this part of Atlanta compared to the sleepy boring suburbs and strip malls of the entire Phoenix metro area.

Of course you will come across drug users and crime in all American cities, but as is shown in my previous post, Phoenix metropolitan area leads Atlanta, and in Atlanta it is kept to the airport section of the city so it is rarely or ever seen. The crime in Phoenix however is for all to see everywhere, and it is getting worse too! Phoenix leads all major cities in crystal meth too.

I lived in Seattle, which is a fabulous city, while I am from Melbourne, Australia, and I also lived in Sydney too, therefore I know what a good city is all about as I've been spoiled by two of the best cities in the world, and one of the best cities in the US. Atlanta is not a paradise, but it has exciting growth, and is far more urban, friendlier and interesting, with many, many more things to do than in Phoenix, and a huge step up in every single way.

Last edited by AussieGirl; 12-14-2006 at 10:54 PM..

Old 12-15-2006, 05:50 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
Why do you still dwell on Phoenix, we all know you hated it here, glad you are happy now, so move on and forget PHX!!!!!

Old 12-15-2006, 08:41 AM

1,064 posts, read 2,665,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Why do you still dwell on Phoenix, we all know you hated it here, glad you are happy now, so move on and forget PHX!!!!!
People reading through the forum, deciding if Phoenix will be good fit for them, should hear the pro's and the cons...

I don't think the person's purpose is to "hate on" phoenix, but to give their perspective. Maybe when AussieGirl moved here they didn't feel like they got an accurate picture before they moved and they want to make sure new people are informed of all sides of the story?

I agree with this person and I still do live here

Old 12-15-2006, 03:46 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
People reading through the forum, deciding if Phoenix will be good fit for them, should hear the pro's and the cons...

I don't think the person's purpose is to "hate on" phoenix, but to give their perspective. Maybe when AussieGirl moved here they didn't feel like they got an accurate picture before they moved and they want to make sure new people are informed of all sides of the story?

I agree with this person and I still do live here
It is fine to tell the pros and cons, but you have to know the history of ths persons rants before you comment on what I said. It got real argumentative and tired. Just ask Ponderosa

Old 04-04-2008, 07:10 PM

18 posts, read 67,333 times
Im actually wondering about the FLA to AZ transaction as well. Im looking to move to Scottsdale. Im originally from and currently living in Phila. area but just moved from Florida (Tampa area). I loved Florida but things happened and unfortunately I had to move back to this dreaded aea of the country. Im getting the hell out of here though the winter lasts too long.

While I was living in Florida I have met a few people that lived in Arizona and had nothing but good things to say about it and said they were moving back. Many people that have visited there told me they love it. Im taking a flight out there in 3 weeks and cant wait!

I guess the major factor in the transition would be the air. Bugs dont bother me cause people always exaggerate how bad they are like they do in Florida. Crime....I grew up in the Camden/Philadelphia area...Scottsdale will be like Candyland. I hear the weather is much nicer in the PHX area compared to FLA. I can go 5 years without rain for all I care. The school systems in Florida are terrible and snow birds crowd up roads for 6 months and I imagine its the same in AZ. The Architecture looks nice with the modernized building in Scottsdale but of course I have to see it in person to honestly judge it.

I would have taken AussieGirls opinion into consideration but when someone keeps attacking it they become less credible. Maybe lost a boyfriend there or a good job or got your car broken into. Have fun in Atlanta...not that great of a city.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:44 AM

1,818 posts, read 1,529,014 times
Different people have different needs and wants. Melbourne and Sydney are fun but Atlanta is just gross - I hate it there!

Old 04-05-2008, 04:50 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,958,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techart View Post
We are thinking of moving from South Florida ( Fort Lauderdale) to Phoenix, AZ and just needed some info on elementary/ middle schools in the Chandler or Gilbert area and the Arizona state university. Also, our kids have developed mild nasal allergies recently and the Florida weather makes it worse. I'm assuming that the Phoenix climate is not favorable for mold and other allergens. So will the move be good for our children's health? Also, is it true that snakes and lizards are a common sight in back yards and often crawl inside houses aswell ? Will appreciate any other info. Thanks !

Lizards yes but I have never seen a snake in my backyard and I've been here for 20 years now, but in South Carolina I had a snake in my front yard and I was only there a few months

Old 04-06-2008, 04:03 PM

148 posts, read 682,853 times
A lot depends upon where you will live. Like somone else stated earlier, you may develop allergies or your kid's allergies may worsen. It sounds like you are moving away from the beach - you wil miss it. IMO, the Phoenix area is not what it is hyped up to be. People are not friendly (except on this site). The women are plastic. The guys seem to be nicer. It is difficult to meet people - even with kids. Everyone seems to live in their cars, SUV's, or behind gates. Not much time outdoors for at least 3 months of the year. There are some big problems here that you will not even read or hear about in the media. The further outside of the city you live, the more you will feel isolated. Good luck - take the comments here to heart.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:54 PM

74 posts, read 289,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techart View Post
We are thinking of moving from South Florida ( Fort Lauderdale) to Phoenix, AZ and just needed some info on elementary/ middle schools in the Chandler or Gilbert area and the Arizona state university. Also, our kids have developed mild nasal allergies recently and the Florida weather makes it worse. I'm assuming that the Phoenix climate is not favorable for mold and other allergens. So will the move be good for our children's health? Also, is it true that snakes and lizards are a common sight in back yards and often crawl inside houses aswell ? Will appreciate any other info. Thanks !
I don't think you will necessarily find many snakes in Gilbert or Chandler. There are many little cute lizards though. I have never had any in my house, and they run when they see you. I heard they are good to have around because they eat insect and even scorpions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area