Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 02:33 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,231,480 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I'm looking to move from Chicago to Tempe, and have a few questions.

* Does Tempe have a noise ordinance or quiet zones for freight train whistles? I don't want to hear 2AM train whistles.

* Where can I find information on which areas of Tempe have low crime? I've seen several maps and they have different data on each one. From what I see, along the 101 and south Tempe south of the 60 seem to be good areas.

* I've read Guadalupe is a high crime area, is this true? Are the areas in Tempe that are near Guadalupe also high crime areas?

* I'm going to go for no HOA houses, how bad are the HOA's there? I've read the nightmares (i.e. surprise huge assessment, nitpicky enforcement of rules and issuing fines for ridiculous reasons)

Anything else locals should warn me about or tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 06:03 PM

110 posts, read 119,250 times
Hey,

I am afraid I can’t be much help to you on the noise ordinances. I am not really sure, but it shouldn’t be a problem. I don’t hear of anyone complaining about it, at least as of yet I haven’t.

Crime maps suck, I have looked at them myself and they don’t give you the full picture. However, they are fairly close. If they say an area is really bad, than it typically is. I would recommend you go to the neighborhoods you are interested in and check them out. See if the houses and yards look maintained, the cars in the driveway, etc.

Guadalupe is not known as one of the nicer neighborhoods in the valley, I don’t think it spills out to Tempe that much though.

I don’t think the HOA’s are to bad. But there are a lot of non-HOA areas that are nice.

In Tempe you want to be south of the 60 for sure. In the zips 85283 and 85284. Anything north of that is either bad, or just okay. 85284 is the fifth wealthiest zip code in the metro area, so that gives you an idea of that area.

Look out for high taxes, Tempe has definitely got them. So that is something to consider. The houses area also a bit older, so some of them need some updating.

Just out of curiosity, why Tempe? Job? Family? You might also want to expand your search to Chandler or Scottsdale, maybe Ahwatukee.

I hope this helps.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:36 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,231,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post

Look out for high taxes, Tempe has definitely got them. So that is something to consider.
Which taxes? Property?

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, why Tempe? Job? Family? You might also want to expand your search to Chandler or Scottsdale, maybe Ahwatukee.

I hope this helps.
I'm relocating for a job, and it is in SW tempe.

Ahwatukee : Saw nice houses there and originally considered it. I rejected due to the flooding risks.

Chandler is also one of the places I'm looking at, but I'm trying to stay near a bus route so I don't have to buy a second car.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:52 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,730,458 times
Based on your desire not to have to purchase a second car I say try finding a place in Tempe. It may be a little more expensive, but, if you can afford it, live there. It has better transportation options because of the light rail and free commuter buses. Chandler is nice, but won't be much cheaper, if at all.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:59 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,604,735 times
Start saving for a second car. I guarantee you will not want to be standing outside waiting for the bus in the summer.

Then you can expand your search to south Scottsdale, Chandler, Ahwatukee (what flooding??). Rent before you buy. Get a better idea of areas where you feel safe.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:02 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,301,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
Start saving for a second car. I guarantee you will not want to be standing outside waiting for the bus in the summer.

Then you can expand your search to south Scottsdale, Chandler, Ahwatukee (what flooding??). Rent before you buy. Get a better idea of areas where you feel safe.
I was wondering what flooding, too!?

Old 05-17-2018, 09:22 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,615,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I was wondering what flooding, too!?
Perhaps it's because of all the swimming pools in the World's Largest Cul-de-Sac?

Old 05-17-2018, 09:54 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,435,088 times
There is a train track over in west Tempe, but it doesn't get a lot of traffic; it seems to be that the city was involved in some sort of agreement about that. if you stay a bit further east, no problem. There is a "party ordinance" with respect to noise control in Tempe, but that's a different issue, and most often comes into play in the area near ASU.

Sales tax is high in Tempe, but we get what we pay for. I've lived in 85283 and now 85284 for a total of over 40 years, so I speak from experience.

That said, I don't know what "flooding issue" you are referring to in Ahwatukee, but to me, the traffic over there is a deal breaker.

Guadalupe really has no effect on south Tempe as a whole. If you are going to stay a bit further east just to avoid any train issue, then there's no problem.

Not sure which bus routes you'd be using, but the buses in Tempe are quite reliable. I use an express bus to get into Phoenix and back, and yes, I stand for a few minutes each way in the summer. Not a big deal. You probably know this already, but the bus info is at www.valleymetro.org

There actually is some newer construction in south Tempe and right over the border in northwest Chandler. I don't know what your budget is; it's always worth considering to rent until you decide exactly where you want to be.

Best of luck with your move, let us know if we can help further.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:25 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,301,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
Perhaps it's because of all the swimming pools in the World's Largest Cul-de-Sac?
I have friends that live there, their house is on a lake and they have a pool, still no flooding

Old 05-17-2018, 01:29 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,273,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
I'm relocating for a job, and it is in SW tempe.

Ahwatukee : Saw nice houses there and originally considered it. I rejected due to the flooding risks.

Chandler is also one of the places I'm looking at, but I'm trying to stay near a bus route so I don't have to buy a second car.
Both Ahwatukee and Chandler would likely have bus routes to where your work is. South Tempe would be a generally safe location with lower crime than other parts of Tempe, and it would be closer to your work as well. Ahwatukee has more of an issue with traffic, but not flooding. Not sure where you get the idea that Ahwatukee is a flooding risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area