Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 02:28 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,967,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Materials-wise, the Haver home is well above the other one with its basic Home Depot-grade finishes, cheap laminate and outdated square tile throughout. The yard and the pool area have potential, but there's a two-story house staring right into its yard. A deal breaker for many, me included. Sorry, I just see nothing desirable at all about that home, maybe other than the price.

I don't really understand how something that's been popular for around 60 years could be considered "trendy". Regardless, looking at other south Scottsdale homes, you're not really paying for it being a MCM at all when it's priced in the low $200s per sq ft. That's simply the going price in the area. The buyer will obviously be someone who appreciates the aesthetics and wants something somewhat unique. I think it's a cool, quirky house and would much rather wake up there.
Its all a matter of tastes and opinions, of course. But looking at that home you posted, I saw chintzy doors, "trendy" updated bathrooms (not retro), the oh-so-norm "trendy" backsplashes, bizarre, long bathrooms, unfancy painted gray bricks and cinder blocks, skinny family room, and a strange and rather ugly back yard. Yes, the home I posted stares at another home, but being in Ahwatukee, there are almost certainly mountain views, and not nearly as many power lines as the home in your ad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 02:38 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,647,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Its all a matter of tastes and opinions, of course. But looking at that home you posted, I saw chintzy doors, "trendy" updated bathrooms (not retro), the oh-so-norm "trendy" backsplashes, bizarre, long bathrooms, unfancy painted gray bricks and cinder blocks, skinny family room, and a strange and rather ugly back yard. Yes, the home I posted stares at another home, but being in Ahwatukee, there are almost certainly mountain views, and not nearly as many power lines as the home in your ad.
The bathrooms retained some original details without question. I think they did a good job mixing the old and the new. The gray tile plays into the gray cinder blocks. I think it's neat and not necessarily done to be "trendy".

The guest bath looks all orignal to me. Nothing trendy about this:

The kitchen backsplash seems like they were going for a modern/retro thing with the browns but I don't like it either.

As for the gray cinder blocks, not sure what to tell you there. It's a block home. It would be criminal to stucco over them on a home of this style. I think they look good.

Power lines aren't very attractive but far better than staring at your neighbors' windows and them into your yard!

Someone will get a good deal and with some minor tweaks, they'll have a really cool, architecturally significant house. The Ahwatukee one will be a nice enough home with $20k into it, but it will never be interesting.

Old 03-13-2018, 02:42 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,967,617 times
My trendy bathroom comment referred to the master bath shower tiles. The formica counter tops (from what I can see) and cabinetry lean retro, which is cool. The master bath walls and floors look like any generic Old Town modern hotel/restaurant you can find. Different strokes for different folks, they say!

Old 03-13-2018, 02:43 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
Are there any of those neat, suburban, 60's neighborhoods in the Phoenix area? Do they have low crime and reasonable prices? Thanks!
Often overlooked with a good deal to be had--Tempe. North of Guadalupe and south of Apache.

50s-70s ranch style homes. Many flipped and sold for a lot of money. Others completely original as their original owners start dying off.

One of my favorite neighborhoods is in Tempe--Broadmor and Brentwood-Cavalier.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:16 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,910,576 times
My favorite Haver hood is on the south side of Bethany home at 10th place. Classic haver designed homes that are all similar but all different. Plus the fact that the area of 7th st. south of Bethany is exploding with new bars and restaurants makes this a primo neighborhood in my opinion.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:21 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,910,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Materials-wise, the Haver home is well above the other one with its basic Home Depot-grade finishes, cheap laminate and outdated square tile throughout. The yard and the pool area have potential, but there's a two-story house staring right into its yard. A deal breaker for many, me included. Sorry, I just see nothing desirable at all about that home, maybe other than the price.

I don't really understand how something that's been popular for around 60 years could be considered "trendy". Regardless, looking at other south Scottsdale homes, you're not really paying for it being a MCM at all when it's priced in the low $200s per sq ft. That's simply the going price in the area. The buyer will obviously be someone who appreciates the aesthetics and wants something somewhat unique. I think it's a cool, quirky house and would much rather wake up there.
Agreed 100%. while a pool would be nice I love this home. Not so much on the stuccotukee.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:06 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,819,011 times
The best MCM homes in the valley are in the Paradise Gardens neighborhood up by Shea and 36th Street by Al Beadle, granted those aren't cheap homes. They have a desert modern aesthetic, it's my dream to own one of those. There's also a small pocket of really big (for Haver, anyway) homes due west (literally next door) of Arcadia high school that are very nice as well, but also not cheap.

You can find quite a few select MCM homes throughout the Valley, the highest per capita of them are probably around the Biltmore area around 12th street. While Haver and Beadle properties are the most well-known, you can find some that are not by those architects that are much cheaper. For an example, this MCM home not developed by those two at the Tempe/Scottsdale border (there's also one 100k cheaper but needs updating down the street):

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1.../7584354_zpid/

Here's a cheaper Haver home and frankly, I think a better area though it needs updating, I hate when people buy modern homes and make them non-modern, there's almost literally every other home for that:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6.../7797078_zpid/

I should note that this home ^ above is 1 of 2 cookie cutter Haver floor plans. They do have one with a two car carport and a 4 bedroom which is much rarer, but because it is not as modern in its aesthetic, tends to be cheaper. Though it is more ranch looking. The plan I'm referring to only exists in Haver's last neighborhoods before passing, like in Town and Country Scottsdale and the Town and Country near Cactus and the 51.

Beadle made a fair amount of condos, townhouses, and patio homes that are usually the same in square footage as the Haver homes but tend to be cheaper. For the price of an updated Haver home in a more "interesting" area (if you catch my drift), you can get a Beadle townhouse in Arcadia with similar square footage and bedrooms:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4.../7833859_zpid/

Here is a detached patio home by a lesser known architect also near the Arcadia area:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4.../7834686_zpid/

This is the Roman Roads development also by Al Beadle, near 16th street and Maryland where every town house has a detached two car garage and its own pool:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1.../7808083_zpid/

Here is a relatively unknown Haver development (Starlight something? Forgot the name) near 15th Avenue and Glendale:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1.../7777827_zpid/

This is a Haver in one of Haver's most popular and most beautiful neighborhoods:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1.../7799783_zpid/

And finally here are some MCMs in Moon Valley that are more affordable:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2.../7819926_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1.../7815443_zpid/

Realtors like to name houses as MCM when they are just modernized ranch homes (ranchs that got a modern remodel on the interior). The key is looking for the unique window styles, low pitch roofs, is it in an area known for MCM development (Uptown, Arcadia, South Scottsdale, Sunnyslope, some sections of Paradise Valley near Shadow Mountain High School or Moon Valley are going to be the only areas with true MCMs). Other areas of town are either too old (I have seen some in Encanto though I wouldn't count on affording one of the three that exist there), too new, or frankly too cheap (the Al Beadle and Haver properties weren't necessarily affordable back in the day either, hence why they are non-existent in West Valley, Mesa, etc.).

There's quite a bit of them and if you are diligent you might find a single family home go cheaper than 300k but usually needs some work.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:34 AM

202 posts, read 220,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I cant believe they're listing that for $410K. Its a shoebox with no pool, small "yard", and horrid doors. The only thing I liked was the bathroom.

This would be worth $410K IMO
https://www.viewphoenixmetrohomes.co...oenix-az-85048
Ah the cookie cutter suburbanite with their cookie cutter opinions living in their cookie cutter master planned community. I was waiting for one of you to pop up again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area