Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 11:01 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,810,400 times

Advertisements

Last week we got nothing,not even a single rain drop. I'll take that any day considering what everyone up in Estrella/Rainbow Valley area had to deal with.

I don't know if it's luck,probably more like all that hot air coming for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 11:14 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Estrella got hammered last night again. Power was off for most and is back on now for about half of us, not including me. They say maybe by midnight. I've got a generator, though, so at least I can keep a fan and my fridge going. It's starting to feel like Puerto Rico around here.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:17 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,920,834 times
I sold my generator before moving out here from Illinois, since all my "friends" out here told me they never ever lose power..sounds like that might have been a mistake, but, after last nights storm, if we didnt lose power then, I cant imagine what it would take for that to happen..

Glad you got your power back, Ponderosa..

And, Gix, I get the "hot air/Phoenix" joke!

Old 08-11-2018, 11:32 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
I sold my generator before moving out here from Illinois, since all my "friends" out here told me they never ever lose power..sounds like that might have been a mistake, but, after last nights storm, if we didnt lose power then, I cant imagine what it would take for that to happen..

Glad you got your power back, Ponderosa..

And, Gix, I get the "hot air/Phoenix" joke!
I use(d) mine for camping. I don't think we have had a power outage here in Estrella but once and that was when some guy deliberately knocked over a pole out in the desert. This has been a really weird year with the violent storms. I hope it is not a trend. Having your roof torn off, your trees toppled and your lights out takes much of the fun out of monsoon season.

Old 08-11-2018, 12:10 PM

extreme weather has been going on all over the country for the last year or two, so maybe its time for that here in the peaceful, usually severe storm free Phoenix area..

Old 08-11-2018, 12:21 PM

381 posts, read 344,792 times
I’m in far north Peoria in the Vistancia area. The damage was done Thursday night. We thought our glass and front door were going to blow out. As others have said, I believe there was some kind of microburst or mini tornado/hurricane. This wasn’t normal monsoon wind that messes up the patio furniture. There was a news helicopter up here flying over to see if there was damage. As others have said, I heard the Goodyear area took the crown on damage. The roofers who are out here showed me pictures of a street with all of the trees knocked down...looked like Tunguska after the meteorite hit.

Old 08-11-2018, 12:25 PM

381 posts, read 344,792 times
Thanks for the tips on repairs. May not have been the most cost effective plan, but we called insurance and they sent guys to tarp. From there another crew will give an estimate and we can pay out of pocket or pay our deductible. Presumably we could also instead get another bid or two.

Old 08-11-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman1 View Post
I’m in far north Peoria in the Vistancia area. The damage was done Thursday night. We thought our glass and front door were going to blow out. As others have said, I believe there was some kind of microburst or mini tornado/hurricane. This wasn’t normal monsoon wind that messes up the patio furniture. There was a news helicopter up here flying over to see if there was damage. As others have said, I heard the Goodyear area took the crown on damage. The roofers who are out here showed me pictures of a street with all of the trees knocked down...looked like Tunguska after the meteorite hit.
I'm about 10 minutes due east of you; Thursday wasnt bad for us, tons of lightning, but that was about it..
Last night, Friday night was brutal...hope we stay dry until you get your roof back in order..

Old 08-11-2018, 02:07 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,613,074 times
Arizona's 2018 Monsoon has definitely been bad for many people.

Most years we receive nothing more than a few sprinkles, the everpresent annoying wind or in-your-face dust devils, and the obligatory debris all over streets and yards.

Not to mention this annoyance...

Old 08-11-2018, 02:27 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,178,992 times
Can confirm it was bad in North Phoenix too. Had 5 bad storms this monsoon season that toppled trees in the neighborhood. I was afraid for our big trees too but we were lucky. Worst storms in a monsoon I can remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area