Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 07:48 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Reality? We live here and are reasonably happy about it............the cold reality is that you dislike the Phx area.

Hell: reading between the lines; my disdain towards Wash DC is less (a lot of DC's problems in my eyes are due to its foul weather).

Well, I live here and am reasonably UNHAPPY and that just happens to be reality too. Egads, don't you EVER get tired of all of the Phoenix promoters on this board? Considering the traffic and pollution and water issue? Why is everyone so freakin' pollyanna? I just don't get it. It is somewhat akin to pod people or body snatchers. Yikes. And, furthermore, no doubt someone will come along and shut this thread down now because someone is speaking her mind. I swear, this sub fora is the strangest!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 08:36 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Well, I live here and am reasonably UNHAPPY and that just happens to be reality too. Egads, don't you EVER get tired of all of the Phoenix promoters on this board? Considering the traffic and pollution and water issue? Why is everyone so freakin' pollyanna? I just don't get it. It is somewhat akin to pod people or body snatchers. Yikes. And, furthermore, no doubt someone will come along and shut this thread down now because someone is speaking her mind. I swear, this sub fora is the strangest!

Old 11-27-2008, 08:47 PM

20 posts, read 38,545 times
Quote:
I've been here over five years and don't know where "downtown" is, even though I work on Central Ave. IOW, there is no downtown here. There is just suburb after suburb with a few high rises spinkled here and there.
Here is a video that definitely shows a good side of PHX downtown. It's kind of long but the first 5 mins really show PHX has a pretty cool downtown with lots going on.
44 Monroe

Take it with a grain (or several) of salt, but after watching it try and make an argument there is NO DOWNTOWN WHATSOEVER.

It sounds you are pretty unhappy about your experience in PHX. Why if you are so frustrated don't you either 1) move or 2) do something about it? People (or at least myself) are happy based on the company they keep. Maybe there a lot of people in PHX that you cannot relate to. However, if out of 4 MILLION PEOPLE you cant find people that you enjoy I would venture to say the problem maybe isn't the other 3,999,999 people.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainman85 View Post
Here is a video that definitely shows a good side of PHX downtown. It's kind of long but the first 5 mins really show PHX has a pretty cool downtown with lots going on.
44 Monroe

Take it with a grain (or several) of salt, but after watching it try and make an argument there is NO DOWNTOWN WHATSOEVER.

It sounds you are pretty unhappy about your experience in PHX. Why if you are so frustrated don't you either 1) move or 2) do something about it? People (or at least myself) are happy based on the company they keep. Maybe there a lot of people in PHX that you cannot relate to. However, if out of 4 MILLION PEOPLE you cant find people that you enjoy I would venture to say the problem maybe isn't the other 3,999,999 people.
It's quite simple. Money. Do you not get the realities of houses that don't sell? I should not have to explain this. And if one is used to a world class city, as I am, there IS no downtown here. Save your video.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Such a thoughtful response and why I have this disdain for living here. C'mon. Give it that above 100 IQ try, will ya?

Old 11-28-2008, 06:47 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Such a thoughtful response and why I have this disdain for living here. C'mon. Give it that above 100 IQ try, will ya?
Leave. If it means taking a hit on your house..............oh well.

Your slams and putdowns of the Phx area are starting to become quite annoying

I am no fan of the SF Bay area myself due in large part to its obscene housing prices: that stated; some folks like it there and will accept the attendant drawbacks. Besides: SF is fading as a 'world class' city..........the baton was passed to LA a while back.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:14 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,942,828 times
Quote:
And if one is used to a world class city, as I am, there IS no downtown here. Save your video.
What kind of suburb that you have seen looks like this...

I have not lived in one of the world class cities, but have visited many of them many times. I know what you mean when you compare their downtowns to Phoenix's, there really is no comparison. But that still doesn't mean we have no downtown. Obviously we do just by the buildings and layouts of the place. Is it lacking? Definitely. Where San Francisco may be a 10 on the list, Phoenix is a 1...but it's still something and it can improve.

One thing I never understand is how people bash downtown Phoenix...say how there is nothing to do and no people are there, and then when people ask if they should move there, the same people say no. How do you expect people to end up living there if everyone tells them not to move there?

Last edited by HX_Guy; 11-28-2008 at 10:28 AM..

Old 11-28-2008, 12:47 PM

hx_guy have you been to or heard anything about the executive towers? it's on 207 W Clarendon, 2 blocks from central and indian school light rail stop. it's in midtown and definitely north of downtown, but do you know about the area at all?

this posting looks pretty awesome:
Hip Hi-Rise Loft Condo, Roomy 1610 SF at Executive Towers (http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/apa/936806738.html - broken link)

Old 11-28-2008, 01:06 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,942,828 times
Midtown itself is actually "nicer" then downtown in the sense that it's cleaner, theres no homeless, etc...but it doesn't have the grid layout that downtown has and therefore doesn't feel as urban. The nice thing as you pointed out is that it's only 2 blocks from the light rail station (0.4 miles) so you can definitely get around without a car and be in downtown in 5 or so minutes.

Personally I would love to be right in the thick of things...right downtown (as close to Central and Washington) but uptown isn't bad if you find a place you like.

Old 11-28-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Midtown itself is actually "nicer" then downtown in the sense that it's cleaner, theres no homeless, etc...but it doesn't have the grid layout that downtown has and therefore doesn't feel as urban. The nice thing as you pointed out is that it's only 2 blocks from the light rail station (0.4 miles) so you can definitely get around without a car and be in downtown in 5 or so minutes.

Personally I would love to be right in the thick of things...right downtown (as close to Central and Washington) but uptown isn't bad if you find a place you like.
thanks man, youve been great. because of your input i think i am going to try and do right downtown. (summit, 44 monroe, orpheum)

Downtown Phoenix Condos - Phoenix Lofts (http://www.azcondofinder.com/downtown_phoenix_condos.html - broken link)

http://www.weknowurban.com/Phoenix/

if you know a guy 22 - 29 that is also looking to go to a high rise downtown in may/june/july/aug let me know. itll be a trick to see if i can find someone looking to move to downtown around when i am (mid to late june) that is interested in living in a high rise. itll also be interesting to find a 2br spot for 1800 or less.

im coming down march 13 - 19 during my spring break to check it all out.

damn, this is exciting! i want to fast forward my life 6 mos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area