Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 06:55 PM

106 posts, read 573,590 times

Advertisements

Sorry.
I am a life long Canton "Cantonite" resident.
Never been to Wyandotte.

I do not work for the big three.
However I am tired of being stressed out by the local economy.

I work, however by biggest worry is selling my home.

Why did you choose Arizona?
Did your husband get a new job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 09:43 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,472,163 times
Make sure you have a pool installed by late April.

Old 01-26-2007, 11:22 AM

27 posts, read 209,665 times
It's probably too late, but I lived off of Baseline (The Groves at South Mountain) for four years. You have to like living in a very diverse ethnic and income level area. Since we left, they have built the area up a lot in terms of stores/restaurants. We sold our home to a friend and he is still lives there three years later. He likes being close to the airport where he works.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:59 PM

2 posts, read 5,084 times
Horrible. Cops always at the school. Lot's of serious gangs from California (They have 3 strikes, you're out. We don't, so they are flooding here.) I lived in the area for a time. Lots of drive-by shootings.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,920 times
Default South Phx

.I moved to South Phx 18 years ago. LOVE IT. Where ever you live your going to have issues with people. Meth is available all over Arizona. Most of the murders are committed by people who are on Meth. Very few live in South Phx. All of the school's in Arizona have their special drug that's available on campus. ( stupid parents don't know what's going on ) Check out the newspaper. Most of the Rape's committed by teachers are committed in Scottsdale & Glenadle schools. Familys have killed each other in Scottsdale???? Oh, and gang's are also white. (skin heads)???? Someone needs to take a class on gangs. You can take it at Phx college, yes some are coming form LA but the ones that will kill your hole family are not coming from Mexico. I wouldn't let my kids attend Roosevelt. Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Marka; 08-06-2007 at 03:56 AM..

Old 08-04-2007, 10:26 PM

24 posts, read 91,223 times
The Phoenix area is a great place to live. I grew up here and moved back 10 years ago and have never felt unsafe. Plus the weather is nearly perfect, the economy is great (besides the current real estate market which will turn around in time), housing is still affordable, and the quality of living is great. Plus there is hiking trails/mountains/golf courses everywhere, lakes within an hours drive, snow within two hours, and the beach within six hours. I wouldn't live anywhere else and the cultural divsity we have here is a GOOD thing!

Old 08-05-2007, 03:01 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,794,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moverman View Post
Horrible. Cops always at the school. Lot's of serious gangs from California (They have 3 strikes, you're out. We don't, so they are flooding here.) I lived in the area for a time. Lots of drive-by shootings.
Dear God, some people must be even more bored than me to dredge such an old thread out of the dead letter file. According to the OP's time schedule, they've lived here for nearly seven months now!

But as I said I am bored so what the heck. Having "cops" at a school every day in and of itself doesn't mean squat in the Phx metro area. Many city police departments have an SRO (School Resource Officer, formerly known as D.A.R.E. officers) at most middle schools and high schools.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:43 PM

435 posts, read 1,577,057 times
I left MI for Denver, CO, back in '03, when I could see that the economy and housing market were heading south quickly. The quickly escalating malpractice insurance costs in that part of the country were also a motivating factor in my decision. I loved Denver, thought it was a terrific city. Had what sounded like an even better opportunity in Phoenix come my way in '04, so I jumped on it. NEVER regretted a decision so much in my life. Couldn't stand Phoenix. That "city" (if it can even be referred to as such) has so many problems, I don't even know where to begin. Think L.A. without the ocean and with brutally uncomfortable, dangerously hot weather half the year. In other words, to describe Phoenix in a nutshell: take away the good things about L.A. & keep all of the bad, & there you have it. Imagine L.A. with even less of a downtown, even worse people, and much less culturally to see & do, & basically you've got Phoenix.

It's essentially like living in the world's biggest, hottest suburb with absolutely nothing in the middle that represents an urban core. I know that sprawl is simply reality in any major city in America these days, they all have the same problem. But I've never experienced anywhere else like Phoenix where endless sprawl is the ONLY thing. It actually made me miss downtown Detroit. I left, went back to the upper Rockies, to a much more down-to-earth, unique and vibrant community, am much happier and will NEVER go back to hell, er, I mean Phoenix.

Count me as one ex-Michigander who gives Phoenix a HUGE thumbs-down. BTW, the place has no future. MI may have cold winters and more cloudy days, but there's one thing they have that Phoenix doesn't: fresh water. Lots of it. It's cheap, it's plentiful. So is the food, b/c MI also has a thing called agriculture.

You see, there is nothing in the way of natural resources in Phoenix or anywhere near it that human beings need to sustain themselves. Therefore, it all has to be imported from somewhere else. You can see the danger of an ever-expanding population in the desert in the face of this reality. What happens when your water bill is $1000.00 a month? And gas is $6.00 a gallon? Well, all the employers who are so attracted to the region now b/c of the cheap costs of doing business there will flee and head back to- you guessed it- the midwest. The economy & real estate market in Phoenix will tank, and millions will be ruined & stranded in a depressed, arid wasteland. That's your future in Phoenix. Good luck.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:34 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,033,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve22 View Post
I left MI for Denver, CO, back in '03, when I could see that the economy and housing market were heading south quickly. The quickly escalating malpractice insurance costs in that part of the country were also a motivating factor in my decision. I loved Denver, thought it was a terrific city. Had what sounded like an even better opportunity in Phoenix come my way in '04, so I jumped on it. NEVER regretted a decision so much in my life. Couldn't stand Phoenix. That "city" (if it can even be referred to as such) has so many problems, I don't even know where to begin. Think L.A. without the ocean and with brutally uncomfortable, dangerously hot weather half the year. In other words, to describe Phoenix in a nutshell: take away the good things about L.A. & keep all of the bad, & there you have it. Imagine L.A. with even less of a downtown, even worse people, and much less culturally to see & do, & basically you've got Phoenix.

It's essentially like living in the world's biggest, hottest suburb with absolutely nothing in the middle that represents an urban core. I know that sprawl is simply reality in any major city in America these days, they all have the same problem. But I've never experienced anywhere else like Phoenix where endless sprawl is the ONLY thing. It actually made me miss downtown Detroit. I left, went back to the upper Rockies, to a much more down-to-earth, unique and vibrant community, am much happier and will NEVER go back to hell, er, I mean Phoenix.

Count me as one ex-Michigander who gives Phoenix a HUGE thumbs-down. BTW, the place has no future. MI may have cold winters and more cloudy days, but there's one thing they have that Phoenix doesn't: fresh water. Lots of it. It's cheap, it's plentiful. So is the food, b/c MI also has a thing called agriculture.

You see, there is nothing in the way of natural resources in Phoenix or anywhere near it that human beings need to sustain themselves. Therefore, it all has to be imported from somewhere else. You can see the danger of an ever-expanding population in the desert in the face of this reality. What happens when your water bill is $1000.00 a month? And gas is $6.00 a gallon? Well, all the employers who are so attracted to the region now b/c of the cheap costs of doing business there will flee and head back to- you guessed it- the midwest. The economy & real estate market in Phoenix will tank, and millions will be ruined & stranded in a depressed, arid wasteland. That's your future in Phoenix. Good luck.

Wow! Are you writing the next Armageddon manuscript for a new movie?

Old 08-07-2007, 09:11 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,794,924 times
Quote:
I left MI for Denver, CO, back in '03, when I could see that the economy and housing market were heading south quickly. The quickly escalating malpractice insurance costs in that part of the country were also a motivating factor in my decision.
Who cares if they still need "doctors"?

Quote:
Couldn't stand Phoenix. That "city" (if it can even be referred to as such) has so many problems, I don't even know where to
begin. Think L.A. without the ocean and with brutally uncomfortable, dangerously hot weather half the year.
Some natives and long time residents find what you consider hot to be very comfortable. It's only dangerously hot to fools lacking common sense as to how to protect their bodies from the sun and the need for adequate hydration. I can give you a list of over two hundred guys who play baseball here year round in any weather except a downpour. Personally I pitched 14 innings on a day it hit 111 degrees in 1988. Not only did I not die, I won. There have been humans living here for a long, long time and they did it without electricity and air conditioning, running water and cable.

Quote:
It's essentially like living in the world's biggest, hottest suburb with absolutely nothing in the middle that represents an urban core.
And this is a bad thing....how? There are a few folks on this board who will argue that point. As for me and other some long time residents, so what? Phoenix and most of the southwest is an entirely different lifestyle than back east. One that revolves around outdoor activities, not going to the theater.

Quote:
and will NEVER go back to hell, er, I mean Phoenix. .
Thank you. 1,999,999 to go.

Quote:
but there's one thing they have that Phoenix doesn't: fresh water. Lots of it.
Again, a false and uneducated statement. See SRP.

Quote:
You see, there is nothing in the way of natural resources in Phoenix or anywhere near it that human beings need to sustain themselves. Therefore, it all has to be imported from somewhere else.
The Phoenix area, a.k.a. "The Valley of the Sun", has been farmed for hundreds of years. Before it was dammed up, the Salt River ran through town. We aren't hurting for natural resources. Just because you didn't see them, doesn't mean they're not there.

Quote:
What happens when your water bill is $1000.00 a month?
Not going to worry about that one for a few years. My water bill was $43.06 last month. But then again, I DO have a pool and grass in the back yard, probably why it was so high.

Quote:
And gas is $6.00 a gallon?
Write us and let us know. Looks like Denver will get there first.

Price Range:$2.53 to $2.66
http://www.phoenixgasprices.com/Phoenix/index.aspx?
DENVER Price Range:$2.79 to $3.27
http://www.phoenixgasprices.com/Phoenix/index.aspx?

Quote:
The economy & real estate market in Phoenix will tank, and millions will be ruined & stranded in a depressed, arid wasteland.
Wasteland to some, garden spot to others. I'm not going anywhere, so I'm not concerned. I just hope if it does happen, you're wrong about them being stranded.

Everyone has, and is entitled to an opinion. Moderator cut: and leave it at that, please

Last edited by Marka; 08-11-2007 at 04:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area