Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2023, 05:44 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlurryCat View Post
Many thousands, if not millions of the people that moved here over the years came because they wanted suburban living with big-city amenities. You know, escaping a crowded urban environment.
This is absolutely true, and I'm one who also likes the big city amenities while living in a mostly suburban environment. What you should realize is: ever since millions of people moved here and made it into a big metro area, it's rather ignorant to move to Phoenix for the purpose of escaping a crowded urban environment when we are becoming exactly that. We'll likely never be another Chicago or NYC (hopefully not), but we recently surpassed Boston in MSA population, so that's one clear sign that Phoenix shouldn't behave small while growing large. Can't have it both ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlegirlinaz View Post
All good and I'm sure many others will agree, but the goal should be how to make Phoenix even better than what it is now. You brought up large companies and I think that's 1 area we could improve on.
I agree 100%. Unfortunately, some people prefer to call it "negative", "city envy", or whatever silly label they prefer when suggestions are made on how Phoenix could improve. They often claim that we don't need more corporate HQs, super tall buildings, big theme parks, etc. In other words, they're fine with the growth & large size, but heaven forbid if we should get more of the notable extras to reflect our size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
But they created a massive concert in Hance park filled with only local bands. Phoenix is the draw, the Super Bowl isn't anywhere in Arizona without Phoenix.
You're correct. Not only would we miss out on having the Super Bowl, Arizona would still be sparsely populated & barely a blip on the map if not for Phoenix & its surroundings. That's all the more reason to give the credit to Phoenix, and why sports teams & most everything else should have the Phoenix identity. Phoenix's rank as a major metro area & business hub of the SW is what helped make Arizona what it is today ... not hiking trails, desert scenery, or any of that.

I went to that concert last night at Hance Park, and was impressed by the crowds. I'm glad I stayed for Jimmy Eat World, even though I wasn't familiar with many of their songs because they sounded better than Gin Blossoms in my opinion. Too bad Super Bowl Experience has to be downplayed by that ridiculous giant Saguaro replica. Every time we have a major event, they always make it a point to display cactus, or refer to us as "the desert".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2023, 09:27 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,729,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I went to that concert last night at Hance Park, and was impressed by the crowds. I'm glad I stayed for Jimmy Eat World, even though I wasn't familiar with many of their songs because they sounded better than Gin Blossoms in my opinion. Too bad Super Bowl Experience has to be downplayed by that ridiculous giant Saguaro replica. Every time we have a major event, they always make it a point to display cactus, or refer to us as "the desert".
That was a cool show, Jimmy's lead singer telling stories about growing up in old Tempe was awesome too. I don't see a problem with the Saguaro. We live in the only place they grow in the world, most of us think it's pretty cool and we happen to serve a lot of drinks and even food here based on cactus fruit (Prickly Pear of course).

Do you think Denver folks get tired of being tired of being associated with the mountains? Or does Atlanta get tired of references to Peaches? LOL. Saguaros are the giants of the Sonoran desert being unique, resilient, and strong. I feel like there are much worse things to constantly be associated with but I also love our natural environment.

Old 02-11-2023, 12:53 PM

189 posts, read 195,679 times
Quote:
Do you think Denver folks get tired of being tired of being associated with the mountains?
Also, I haven't heard many people complain about the city's identity even though it has sports teams called the Colorado Rockies or Colorado Avalanche. Denver's identity is most directly tied to its natural environment, that is the Rocky Mountains. You could say much of the same thing for Phoenix and the Sonoran Desert.

If you asked most people to define Phoenix in a few words, they'd say "big city in the desert".

Old 02-12-2023, 07:53 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,729,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUgrad09 View Post
Also, I haven't heard many people complain about the city's identity even though it has sports teams called the Colorado Rockies or Colorado Avalanche. Denver's identity is most directly tied to its natural environment, that is the Rocky Mountains. You could say much of the same thing for Phoenix and the Sonoran Desert.

If you asked most people to define Phoenix in a few words, they'd say "big city in the desert".

I think that is pretty cool personally, we're in a unique environment that doesn't look like literally Everywhere Else, USA. Colorado and Utah have great natural environments too.

Old 02-12-2023, 08:33 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,215,987 times
Identity problem? Nobody really cares, and for the ones that do, there's a lot more items on the "care list" ahead of that.

Old 02-12-2023, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I think that is pretty cool personally, we're in a unique environment that doesn't look like literally Everywhere Else, USA. Colorado and Utah have great natural environments too.
Absolutely. The Sonoran Desert is an amazing, unique, and beautiful place. Perhaps one day people will know Phoenix primarily for its semiconductor manufacturing or something else, but until that day, being associated in large part with the Sonoran Desert is nothing to scoff at or disregard.

Old 02-12-2023, 11:29 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:

At least Phoenix is actually in the Sonoran Desert as opposed to Denver which is on the plains.

Old 02-12-2023, 12:01 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:
Quote:
Absolutely. The Sonoran Desert is an amazing, unique, and beautiful place. Perhaps one day people will know Phoenix primarily for its semiconductor manufacturing or something else, but until that day, being associated in large part with the Sonoran Desert is nothing to scoff at or disregard.
It's perfectly fine to display a certain amount of natural scenery when promoting Phoenix, but it goes overboard. It would make much more sense to show the skyline of downtown Phoenix, or even downtown Tempe overlooking the lake, instead of Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, or other natural wonders which are HUNDREDS of miles away. There is such a thing as overdoing it with the natural landscape scenes while pretty much overlooking the city/metro area where the Super Bowl is actually happening. At this point, I'll settle for a little balance.

Old 02-12-2023, 01:18 PM

For what it's worth, a local Chicana, Native American artist in Phoenix designed the official Super Bowl art. This was the result, which I think was excellent and most certainly something to be proud of.

https://www.azfamily.com/2023/01/22/...art-la-morena/

Old 02-12-2023, 02:02 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Enjoy it. This is likely the last Super Bowl for Arizona. State Farm stadium is getting long in the tooth and is a veritable dump when compared to the newer nearly two billion dollars venues in LA and Atlanta.

The Fiesta Bowl is as good as it will get for years unless taxpayers ante up for a new stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area