Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2023, 09:53 PM

990 posts, read 543,252 times

Advertisements

The problem you will run into is that in the summer time it's to hot for kids to play outdoors. Other times of year you will see kids at the park or out riding bikes but not in the summer. You should look into summer camps for your kids up in Payson, Prescott or Flag. Also indoor soccer and basketball leagues in the summer.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2023, 06:31 AM

185 posts, read 134,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS414 View Post
The problem you will run into is that in the summer time it's to hot for kids to play outdoors. Other times of year you will see kids at the park or out riding bikes but not in the summer. You should look into summer camps for your kids up in Payson, Prescott or Flag. Also indoor soccer and basketball leagues in the summer.
I don't think kids have much of an issue with the heat like adults do.

Old 04-26-2023, 10:42 AM

720 posts, read 734,516 times
Hi NY you have a lot of responses so I'm not sure if I'm repeating .... however, we had similar situation our twins were just starting middle school when we moved from NJ to AZ - they were used to riding their bikes or walking everywhere - but where we moved right across the street from their schools - is like a highway - so they didn't ride their bikes....and the summers they tended to stay indoors more than they were used to - so for very active kids this was pretty depressing - tried to get them to meet other kids in the neighborhood but most tend to go on holiday for an extended period so it was difficult for them to socialize in summers.

With that said - if I had to do it all over again I would've moved to Mcdowell Mountain Ranch if I wanted to stay in the suburbs because it has community pools, basketball, etc. This would've been perfect for us while the kids were in school. Having our own pool got boring for them they wanted to hang out with others. Or if you're more into urban setting, S. Scottsdale - I love the energy and vibe of the park here and being close to Old Town We live right by the volleyball courts; tennis courts; greenbelt for walking/biking. If you go to scottsdaleaz.gov and go to the recreational tab there are lots of activities in north/south scottsdale for kids to participate in - aquatics; sports teams; etc.

Last edited by smoochaz; 04-26-2023 at 11:07 AM..

Old 04-26-2023, 01:09 PM

24 posts, read 29,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoochaz View Post
Hi NY you have a lot of responses so I'm not sure if I'm repeating .... however, we had similar situation our twins were just starting middle school when we moved from NJ to AZ - they were used to riding their bikes or walking everywhere - but where we moved right across the street from their schools - is like a highway - so they didn't ride their bikes....and the summers they tended to stay indoors more than they were used to - so for very active kids this was pretty depressing - tried to get them to meet other kids in the neighborhood but most tend to go on holiday for an extended period so it was difficult for them to socialize in summers.

With that said - if I had to do it all over again I would've moved to Mcdowell Mountain Ranch if I wanted to stay in the suburbs because it has community pools, basketball, etc. This would've been perfect for us while the kids were in school. Having our own pool got boring for them they wanted to hang out with others. Or if you're more into urban setting, S. Scottsdale - I love the energy and vibe of the park here and being close to Old Town We live right by the volleyball courts; tennis courts; greenbelt for walking/biking. If you go to scottsdaleaz.gov and go to the recreational tab there are lots of activities in north/south scottsdale for kids to participate in - aquatics; sports teams; etc.
This is great actually. Very helpful.

Old 04-26-2023, 07:04 PM

990 posts, read 543,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mborner View Post
I don't think kids have much of an issue with the heat like adults do.
That certainly wasn't the case when I was a kid. We move there when I was 8yo and I was disappointed that kids did not play outdoors in the summer because that was what I was accustomed to. I didnt even own a play station until we moved to the Valley. I soon made friends and we would spend summer days in mine or my friends swimming pools, riding the bus over to fiesta mall to play video games or go to the movies, summer camp in Prescott, playing ping pong in my friends basement, basketball leagues, indoor soccer leagues. But no playing outdoors in the summer.

Old 04-27-2023, 11:21 AM

24 posts, read 29,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoochaz View Post

Another question if you dont mind. You mentioned South Scottsdale. Are there any areas in particular there or elsewhere that are more urban/walkable; ie not in a master-planned community that ALSO have kids? My wife wants to not feel isolated and stuck behind a gate if at all possible (I get that it might not be). Vegas is much the same way so I'm quite familiar. We were considering Arcadia and adjacent but really any neighborhoods with families and lower median ages would be great in this regard. These more urban neighborhoods exist in other cities but are harder to come by in AZ/NV in my experience. Thanks again.

Old 04-27-2023, 05:12 PM

1,951 posts, read 2,298,854 times
Marley Park , Surprise , has some great parks and community activities spring training baseball !

Old 04-27-2023, 05:25 PM

1,951 posts, read 2,298,854 times
I have seen kids playing basketball in the late afternoon or early evening at a neighborhood park ( with a roof ) when it was 108 F 11 crazy hot in Phoenix
I said before the older and newer parts of Marley Park have a lot of families around W Sweet Water Ave, parks grocery stores strip malls, and fast food, in every direction. Surprise community park/library/lake/fishing/tennis courts Spring training baseball stadiums/ soccer for kids at Mark Coronado Park/craft shows/ fireworks/ I liked it there,
https://marleypark.com/life/parks/
the Marley park pool house and park is great

Old 04-28-2023, 02:01 PM

63 posts, read 40,731 times
Find a safe HOA neighborhood with narrow streets that don't have easy access to a busy road. We see children playing outside all the time in Avondale.

Old 04-30-2023, 10:08 AM

219 posts, read 176,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Sounds logical: green spaces & playgrounds all around, but the kids play in the street instead. It's what I often refer to as "dumbass parenting". If their kids were accidentally struck by a car, the same parents would likely sue the driver of the car. Because after all: vehicles have no business on the street when their precious children are there. It's the same story when somebody's rugrat trespasses onto a neighbor's property & becomes injured: don't dare tell your kid to stay off other people's property. Just sue the property owner!
Coming from the person with no kids. It's easy to judge stuff you absolutely have no first-hand experience with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area