Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2023, 06:19 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,271,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingRebel View Post
Coming from the person with no kids. It's easy to judge stuff you absolutely have no first-hand experience with.
What difference does it make if I have kids or not? All I'm saying is streets are meant for vehicles ... not young children to play in. If your kids ever become involved in a detrimental accident while in the street, I certainly hope you wouldn't tie up the legal system or demand compensation over something that could have been prevented in the first place. The incident would be tragic enough for everybody involved. Your kids are YOUR responsibility, not everybody else's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2023, 05:18 AM

9,746 posts, read 11,169,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
What difference does it make if I have kids or not? All I'm saying is streets are meant for vehicles ... not young children to play in. If your kids ever become involved in a detrimental accident while in the street, I certainly hope you wouldn't tie up the legal system or demand compensation over something that could have been prevented in the first place. The incident would be tragic enough for everybody involved. Your kids are YOUR responsibility, not everybody else's.
I understand your point. It would be great if everything in life was black and white. But it's often not. If you live in a younger-aged neighborhood with many kids, a driver better be aware that young kids without fully developed minds are going to be in the streets because it offers more space and freedom to move. You have to expect a kid to dart out in front of you chasing a ball or be unstable on their bike or going against traffic. Those examples are also "playing in the streets". Therefore, drivers need to assume the worst and slow the F down! Often, below the speed limit. But idiotic drivers go into autopilot mode or are distracted. And some dopes in a heavily residential neighborhood speed. Parents also need to lecture their young children about idiotic drivers. And parents also need to mandate their teen kids drive much slower. I remember giving our daughter at age 16 a warning if I ever see her speeding in a residential neighborhood, she would be done driving. Period. I would have followed through with that promise. I see a lot of young drivers speeding in neighborhoods. Some "parents" don't know how to parent.

When we were raising our kids, I told them not to play in the streets. I was smart enough to know that 5-14 aged minds take several lessons to learn. I mitigated our risks by intentionally living in a quiet culdesac. Just as a driver, I now mitigate my risks by having a ton of safety features like automatic emergency braking (AEB) on my SUV.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 05-02-2023 at 05:28 AM..

Old 05-02-2023, 09:50 AM

1,694 posts, read 1,275,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
It's like an armchair quarterback yelling at the tv screen on a Sunday. You're not a coach, you're not a player....so you really just don't fully understand what is going on.

I see your point....sure, the street can be dangerous. But so are a lot of things.

Old 05-02-2023, 07:54 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,271,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
When we were raising our kids, I told them not to play in the streets. I was smart enough to know that 5-14 aged minds take several lessons to learn. I mitigated our risks by intentionally living in a quiet culdesac. Just as a driver, I now mitigate my risks by having a ton of safety features like automatic emergency braking (AEB) on my SUV.
You were wise. When I was young, we never played in the streets (other than riding our bikes). Makes no sense to play in a street when we had a back yard, and parks & playgrounds in the neighborhood. It's not overly protective or "helicopter parenting" to try to prevent putting your kids in harm's way. It's all about taking care of your own & being responsible, which is what parenting is all about.

It would be great if everybody who drives in residential areas didn't speed, but as you said: not everything in life is black & white. At the same time, I think that many people these days rely a little too heavily on automation. Technology is great, but far from perfect! I remember when we had a problem with speeding cars in my neighborhood a while back. We started a block watch, as well as petitioned the city to install speed humps, and they have really helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
It's like an armchair quarterback yelling at the tv screen on a Sunday. You're not a coach, you're not a player....so you really just don't fully understand what is going on.

I see your point....sure, the street can be dangerous. But so are a lot of things.
So in other words: I have no business commenting on this topic because I don't have children. That would be about like me saying that you have no business posting on threads pertaining to the city of Phoenix because you don't live in Phoenix. Last I heard, we still live in the U.S. where we have something called freedom of speech.

Old 05-05-2023, 09:17 PM

720 posts, read 734,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNO View Post
Another question if you dont mind. You mentioned South Scottsdale. Are there any areas in particular there or elsewhere that are more urban/walkable; ie not in a master-planned community that ALSO have kids? My wife wants to not feel isolated and stuck behind a gate if at all possible (I get that it might not be). Vegas is much the same way so I'm quite familiar. We were considering Arcadia and adjacent but really any neighborhoods with families and lower median ages would be great in this regard. These more urban neighborhoods exist in other cities but are harder to come by in AZ/NV in my experience. Thanks again.
Hi NY sorry for the late response!!! I can't think of any master planned community in S. Scottsdale, I'm sure there are. Most homes were built in the 70s even earlier, so you have a lot of ranch single story block homes, along with new homes mixed in so defn not cookie cutter neighborhoods. There are many condo complexes too. Further south from where we live they are building building and building "luxury" apartments. The schools here are pretty small in comparison to North Scottsdale, Saguaro was recommended to my daughter when she was just overwhelmed by the sheer vastness and # of students at her school. Definitely a different dynamic; and so much going on every day. Definitely walkable, lots of runners, bikers, also can walk to the shops, I still go through park to go shopping to TJ maxx, or sprouts, or go to Old Town for restaurants; farmers market; also Civic Center for library and museum; etc. just so much to do here - I love it! I'm used to urban living growing up in NJ and working in NYC so this is the closest IMO. There are lots of airbnbs that will be available to you during the summer if you want to come and see how it is during the summer while checking out the neighborhoods and shopping for a home or condo.

Last edited by smoochaz; 05-05-2023 at 10:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area