Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 02:11 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,302,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Let em laugh, I aint the retard that bought a 50K Hummer just to say I have a Hummer (like some of them do). Ill take the Pepsi challenge with those strokes anyday, and beat em in all but one category: off-roading, which they never do anyways.

I completely agre. The novelty of having a Hummer was that it was a rare large ex-Desert Storm vehicle that stood out and provided a tough guy image; it also didn't hurt that Arnold bought one in the 90's and revolutionized it into a common street vehicle. The first H1's drew a lot of attention. The H2's were also cool at first because they had the bling factor and that Escalade like appeal to them. The H3 was just a joke because its basically minivan and defeats the idea of having a Hummer. Plus, the point of having a Hummer was that it stood out and was expensive. Who wants a budget Hummer that is smaller and looks like minivan? Now that they are common, the very reason for having a Hummer no longer exists. They take up a lot of space. They have horrible fuel economy. They are uncomortable to ride in. They are not dependable vehicles. Unlike a truck, you can't really move furniture or use it as a utility vehicle. Even the Escalades drive well and are extremely comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 02:53 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The H3 was just a joke because its basically minivan and defeats the idea of having a Hummer
It does decent off-road, but noone I know ever uses them off-road. Theyre just for the masses who say they want a Hummer but cant afford a $90K H1. Instead they settle for a mediocre H3 with a pukey inline 5 cylinder engine. I love it when you see a H3 with HUGE rims on it because theyre soooo slow (slower than the snail-paced stocker) that they cant even get out of their own way. But dang, the owners think theyre the cats meow.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:06 PM

228 posts, read 594,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Let em laugh, I aint the retard that bought a 50K Hummer just to say I have a Hummer (like some of them do). Ill take the Pepsi challenge with those strokes anyday, and beat em in all but one category: off-roading, which they never do anyways.
And I'll take any fool in a Hummer who wants a challenge in off-roading, and blow that idiot off the trail with my '85 Jeep CJ-7 that I bought for a cool $3500. Talk about a mean ORV, the old Jeep CJ's are unparalleled. That thing'll kick the tar out of any Hummer made, including the original military-issues Arnold drives around. And for about 45K less.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:25 PM

28 posts, read 69,104 times
I haven't read all of the posts in this thread, so I don't know if anybody mentioned this yet, but many people bought large SUVs for their businesses because the Fed Gov was allowing a full deduction in the first year for such purchases. If you bought a smaller vehicle you would have to amortize over a number of years.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:25 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borborygmi View Post
And I'll take any fool in a Hummer who wants a challenge in off-roading, and blow that idiot off the trail with my '85 Jeep CJ-7 that I bought for a cool $3500. Talk about a mean ORV, the old Jeep CJ's are unparalleled. That thing'll kick the tar out of any Hummer made, including the original military-issues Arnold drives around. And for about 45K less.
Absolutely. You see, you actually know what youre talking about and actually use your vehicle the right way. Anyone knows a 3 ton, long wheelbase, wide vehicle is HELL on trails. Wanna know what the best off-roader is? A Suzuki Samurai with a 350 ci small block. Buddy of mine has one and that thing goes where even some modded CJs fear to tread, its a beast. Has about 10" of lift and sits on 36" Super Swampers, its a force to be reckoned with. Some laugh at it until they see what it can do at Cliffs Insane Terrain park here in IL. Fun little ride that thing is!

Old 06-20-2008, 03:39 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,689,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbean View Post
Have only been in PHX for a month, but have noticed an abundance of SUV's and giant pickups, usually 2-3 feet off the ground (large tires w/ lift kits).

My question is....why?

Of course ignoring the fact fact that some people have large families and jobs that require trucks.

If gas-gusslers would become less popular, the demand for oil would plumit, along with the prices.

Please, I'm not wanting to start an argument, but just want to hear some peoples reasonings.
I'll also go with the theory that a great percentage are operated by people who are making up for some "shortcomings" elsewhere.

Observe how most of the aforementioned vehicles are operated while on-road, and this theory proves itself. Especially the ones that are festooned with the most outrageously sized accessories, tires, and exhaust systems.

Standard disclaimer about some people needing trucks for work or to access remote property, blah blah blah.

Last edited by 43north87west; 06-20-2008 at 04:07 PM..

Old 06-20-2008, 03:44 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,689,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
If you guys think that what you see in AZ is bad, try taking a drive around So Cal. You see all kinds of cars with huge rims bumping sounds and it's some kid driving. Either Daddy hooked him up or he's sitting on milk crates for furniture. People are trying to bling way too much. Kinda sad really
Especially a year down the road when he's worn out his $1500 tires and is riding on three donut spares. I've seen that too many times to even notice anymore...

Old 06-20-2008, 04:43 PM

419 posts, read 1,525,573 times
You can get a monster vehicle now at bargain prices. I just bought a '99 Canyonero from Rainier Wolfcastle for $1500. When I asked him what mileage it gets, he replied "one highway, zero city".

Old 06-20-2008, 04:48 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,228,371 times
Quote:
Can you name the truck with four wheel drive,
smells like a steak and seats thirty-five..

Canyonero! Canyonero!

Well, it goes real slow with the hammer down,
It's the country-fried truck endorsed by a clown!

Canyonero! (Yah!) Canyonero!
[Krusty:] Hey Hey

The Federal Highway comission has ruled the
Canyonero unsafe for highway or city driving.

Canyonero!

12 yards long, 2 lanes wide,
65 tons of American Pride!

Canyonero! Canyonero!

Top of the line in utility sports,
Unexplained fires are a matter for the courts!

Canyonero! Canyonero! (Yah!)

She blinds everybody with her super high beams,
She's a squirrel crushing, deer smacking, driving machine!

Canyonero!-oh woah, Canyonero! (Yah!)

Drive Canyonero!

Woah Canyonero!

Woah!
nice

Old 06-20-2008, 04:51 PM

674 posts, read 2,553,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
You can get a monster vehicle now at bargain prices. I just bought a '99 Canyonero from Rainier Wolfcastle for $1500. When I asked him what mileage it gets, he replied "one highway, zero city".
Those are awesome. I heard the next model will include its own refinery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area