Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 06:58 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,694,054 times

Advertisements

The only vehicles brands I consider "upscale" would be Bentley, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maybach, and Rolls Royce. Each vehicle from these brands starts at OVER $100K and some surpass the $500K mark ,to me that says that whoever driving this vehicle:

a) Has money.
b) Wants to be noticed.
c) Has good taste in automobiles.

Many average people can afford to drive a fancy SUV such as an Escalade or a luxury car like a BMW 5 Series but not many can afford to buy a new Bentley. People who think driving around in a leased Beamer or Mercedes makes them "upper-class" have never really been around true wealth.

Someone mentioned a Yukon Denali being a status symbol, well I drive one and love it but I know it's a very common vehicle (albeit a nice one).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 07:43 PM

648 posts, read 3,089,764 times
i just spent 6 days exploring upstate ny and could probably count on my two hands the amount a big pick up trucks i saw. the majority of cars on the road are mid-size. there are way more mid-size cars than suv's as well. i've also thought there were an abundance of giant trucks and suvs here.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:11 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,258,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbean View Post
Have only been in PHX for a month, but have noticed an abundance of SUV's and giant pickups, usually 2-3 feet off the ground (large tires w/ lift kits).

My question is....why?
Various reasons that have already been mentioned. Some are for very practical purposes such as self employment reasons (hauling), or for recreation (pulling boats, offroading, etc.). On the other hand, Steve-o is probably right that a good percentage also drive those big trucks around to compensate for a lack of something upstairs or downstairs. After all, I see quite a few of those 4x4 trucks around that AREN'T hauling or pulling anything ... so that part is definitely an ego thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower123 View Post
It's easier to blame Bush and besides, it's their American right to drive a 10MPG vehicle.
Give me a break! There is no "right" to drive. I'll leave it to you to reveiw the Constitutiton, and indicate where it specifically says that driving is a right. I would say that's owning one of those roadhogs is a PRIVILEGE ... and if someone wants to make a lame attempt to appear macho, or shell out three times as much money on fuel as the average car consumes, so be it. I look at it this way: they're paying through the nose every time they buy gas. As long as I don't have to contribute to their addictions, let them drive what they want.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:13 PM

812 posts, read 2,306,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
LOT"S of people in the West pull their Boats, RV's, Toy Haulers etc - AND, we have our homes too -

Many have that 2nd home up North - and haul materials on the weekends to that Cabin they are building
And? We have home's too, I still won't spend money on "things" to prove myself as a where or what my status is. Things we buy are because we need them for a purpose, not show. My character, education, how I live or my husbands and my accomplishments speak for itself. Even if I did nothing or had nothing but lived a good honest life an SUV would give me no status. When I see cars on the road, it just doesn't matter to me.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:24 PM

162 posts, read 543,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJinAustin View Post
Because they are compensating for a certain body part that is very small. The truck becomes the extension of their lack of physical masculinity...haha.

I think Arizona still has a bit of the western frontier bravado - like Texas - and that is where some of that comes from. I've seen many people carry guns in AZ...strapped to their waists in a restaurant, etc. It's just part of that frontier culture that has never left.
very well put and makes a lot of sense to us 'transplants'!

Old 06-19-2008, 09:29 PM

162 posts, read 543,053 times
WOW, quite the discussion the original post initiated!
Its weird in this country...people complain day after day about gas prices, but yet, you see all the 'big rigs' on the road.

Travel around in Europe, a few times and you can count the number of suv's or trucks on a single hand.

Reasons why...I have no clue, just trying to point out obvious discrepancies and seek some explanation.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:31 PM

23 posts, read 90,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbean View Post
Travel around in Europe a few times and you can count the number of suv's or trucks on a single hand.
Europe has a GREAT public transportation system- trains, busses, subways, etc. While America doesn't. Europe built up not out. There is a big difference in that most Europeans really don't have a NEED to even own a vehicle. I lived in Europe for a few years. Unfortunately, the way that most towns and cities are here in the US, we don't have that luxury.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:36 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,449,057 times
Oh, I only drive a 2002 Honda Accord (with less than 40K miles!) Only thing I can think of is status symbol.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:59 PM

27,339 posts, read 27,390,428 times
You know, a mini van is just as economical as an SUV, if not more, when it comes to hauling large families. Depending on the streamline of the body, of course. Typically, an SUV can only seat 5-6 people, depending on whether the front seats convert to bench when you lift that console. But then, a car holds 5-6 people too. So the idea that an SUV is needed for larger families is a myth. A mini van makes more sense. But because they dont meet 'status' requirements, people choose other means. Thats the facts.
As far as the trucks being lifted, theres a story behind that, lol, as most of us have heard...though Im not sure how true that is. And personally, Id rather see a slightly lifted truck than a lowered one, anyday!
Most of the cities in Az that have that 'status' thing going on are really not much different than many other city where status means so much
to some. "Look at me, I fit in, here!". Jeeze.
So many great replies to this topic, and Im tossing in my 2c worth. Kudos to you folks who too, feel the same way.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:50 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,292,121 times
There are a lot of Escalades, Hummers, Forerunners and Navigators. I've never seen a high-rise truck dealership in the valley so you must be living in an area that I don't frequent too often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area