Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 10:31 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,228,371 times

Advertisements

as an upstate NY native you could easily survive without 4X4 and we had to deal with hills, ice and buckets of snow ........... most of the population doesn't really need it

for us rear wheel drive would make it more difficult, but front wheel drive would usually get you safely through the country roads without having to dig yourself out of a ditch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 10:44 AM

812 posts, read 2,307,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Escalades are all the rage, even though theyre just a glorified Chevy Suburban. But people want the big, ugly Caddy symbol up front, and 24" chrome rims on them to show off. To me, thats a status symbol. Caddy even took note of that trend and started putting 22" chrome rims on them as OE!!!! Porsche Cayennes are another example of a SUV status symbol.

Another funny one!

Old 06-20-2008, 10:48 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,302,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Well I wouldn't necessarily say it's "normal" to see a Bentley or Rolls Royce driving around but it seems that ultra-expennsive cars are more abudant than other parts of the country. I live in North Scottsdale and still don't see these types of vehicles that often unless I go to Paradise Valley. Phoenix is a very car-centered city and people here like to show off a bit of their personality and style by what they drive. I figure as long as you can afford the payments, you should be able to drive whatever you want without people criticizing your decision. I'm not a fan of the lifted truck scene but I'm not going to lecture someone about why they shouldn't drive one, etc. In the end it's their money and they have a right to spend it on what they like.
I was speaking relatively. Of course, a Bentley or Rolls Royce by definition wouldn't be normal because very few are produced. Nonetheless, I drive an SUV and was considering buying a Toyota Tacoma next year. I like SUV's and trucks for several reasons. I like driving high above the ground because I feel like I can view the road better. I also feel safer in a bigger car in regards to being protected during a collision. And yes, I do like the image of driving an SUV or truck. No, I don't feel like some stud in which people are checking me out driving an SUV. But on a personal level, there is some weird spiritual connection I feel with driving a truck or SUV and I enjoy it for that reason. No, I didn't raise my SUV or put gaudy wheels on it but I think there is something a little masculine about having a truck or SUV. I like other cars as well but I've always felt like I need some type of truck or SUV in addition to the other cars we have.

That being said, I found value in the criticism facing driving an SUV or truck. I didn't take offense to it. Rather, these criticisms have made me face the reality that I'm essentially driving an SUV out of some false sense of power. This thread has made me reconsider my decision to purchase a truck in the future. In hindsight, it does seem a little silly to be driving an SUV in Phoenix. The weather is perfect and we drive on long stretches of highways wherever we go. Also, the increased gas prices make it seem like a bad idea. Sure, I think I will never feel as cool driving a hybrid but it makes sense to drive one in every other regard. Right now, I'm thinking about purchasing a hybrid next year instead.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:13 AM

399 posts, read 554,761 times
Yeah, he pretty much covered it!!! Its all about status and trying to present they are hardcore or tough.
This actually comes from the "Southern-California" culture of trying to be accepted and fit in with the crowd. (By using huge trucks as a means of status)

But I'm sure that since gas is going up those "Bro's and White Lifted Truck dudes, are going to be even more insecure when they have to trade those trucks for a honda civic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Some actually use them to tow and/or go off-roading, others just buy them as some kind of lame status symbol to make up for their winkie size/insecurity.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:37 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilldirrty View Post
are going to be even more insecure when they have to trade those trucks for a honda civic!
If one is involved in outdoor recreational activities - such as RVing, Boating etc - there will be no trading for a "civic" -

Old 06-20-2008, 11:39 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,236,769 times
People have the right to own whatever type of vehicle they want. If they can afford gas on a huge car or truck then more power to them. Who are we to say what type of car other people should have.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:43 AM

1,170 posts, read 3,437,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilldirrty View Post
Yeah, he pretty much covered it!!! Its all about status and trying to present they are hardcore or tough.
This actually comes from the "Southern-California" culture of trying to be accepted and fit in with the crowd. (By using huge trucks as a means of status)

But I'm sure that since gas is going up those "Bro's and White Lifted Truck dudes, are going to be even more insecure when they have to trade those trucks for a honda civic!
30k millionaires babe...its all about 30k Millionaires....but they are everywhere, not just here, not just there, EVERYWHERE, like the Visa card...

Old 06-20-2008, 11:44 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
People have the right to own whatever type of vehicle they want. If they can afford gas on a huge car or truck then more power to them. Who are we to say what type of car other people should have.
We have no right to say what they should drive, but we sure as hell have the right to laugh. Especially when you see a Ford F-150 with a 6" suspension lift and 20" chrome rims on 305/40R/20 wheels. They aint fooling anyone with that useless setup.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:44 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,228,371 times
yep - i know some people who have real money and real class to go with it

i'm secure enough to roll in my cavalier, save some $$$ and live a comfortable, but not showy life

so many people are trying to act a role - it's insane and it is everywhere

Old 06-20-2008, 11:53 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
We have two SUV's. Volvo's. Not "jacked up". But, they are used for travel and for recreational purposes and for tending to our property.

We pull a boat, a RV, a trailer for the bikes, a flatbed for things for the property.

My office is 40 miles each way -

And, we do not in any way complain about our vehicles - just the opposite
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area