Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 09:41 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,452,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Thanks for the leads, but I would have to move to be in their districts....
The Arizona Dept of Ed controls everything, and therein lies the problem.
There is no alternative where I live.
Usually, you can enroll across district lines if there is space available in the desired school outside your district, and charters of course have no district boundaries at all. Nevertheless, I can certainly understand that there might be transportation issues depending on where you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 09:47 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,515,416 times
Please let me know about the Virginia Online program and I will definitely look into it, and thanks!

Old 06-29-2008, 09:51 PM

My son came from a school where he was in all advanced placement classes. When they put him in AP classes here, he came home and said it was a joke, that they were 2 years behind where he was.
Also, I am not going to move again....because this school district doesnt have that. I cant keep moving around, its expensive.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:56 PM

133 posts, read 376,911 times
Quote:

I like many others cannot afford $12K a year for high school. Where I came from, the suburban schools of Indianapolis: Carmel, Zionsville, Westfield, Fishers, Greenwood, and others were way above what I am finding here. Even some schools in the ISD like North Central, were repeatedly named as top schools by Newsweek.

Doesn't look like the competition here with charter schools has done anything. I don't see anyone catering to the higher excelling student.
You should definitely check out the Higley school district then, because the prinicipal of Williams Field High School is from Indianapolis and she is a world class educator. I am really excited about what the superintendent (who is from Ann Arbor, Michigan) is building. They are really focused on creating (finally!) a district based on professional standards and high expectations. I believe that the Higley Unified School District is absolutely going to set the bar much higher, which will help all Arizona schools move into this millenium.

Check out their website for more information:
Higley Unified School District (http://www.husd.org/Default2.aspx - broken link)

Old 06-29-2008, 10:02 PM

133 posts, read 376,911 times
Quote:
Please let me know about the Virginia Online program and I will definitely look into it, and thanks!
It may have to wait til the morning, but I will get the info to you. It is a charter school, so there is no charge to you.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:21 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,019,212 times
This is information I post on another thread that is exactly the same topic as this thread:

"There are gang counts and estimates done by the Phoenix PD and other law enforcement agencies like the FBI for metro areas. When looking at school performance at Arizona, one must take into account the dynamics are work with school rankings. Arizona uses one of the most stingent forms or self-evaluation and include schools on Indian Reservation (no other state does). Schools perform bad in Arizona because of the huge migrant population of illegal hispanics (which may soon change due to laws). Those student place horribly in ALL test given because of a lack of basic education from

were they came and from knowing very little proper English. Your average American kid (white, black, hispanic, asian, etc.) in Arizona is not failing like those groups that bring down ratings of AZ schools. And remember, Phoenix area schools actually out perform the rest of the rural state and schools on poor indian reservations and in poor rural counties. Mesa PS has the highest graduation rate in the nation and many Phoenix schools have average SAT test scores that are above the national average. Some more info:

"Both North and North Canyon high schools made Newsweek's 2007 list of the top 1,351 high schools in the country, based on how well schools prepare students to excel in college. Also on the list: Paradise Valley's Pinnacle, Scottsdale's Chaparral and Desert Mountain, Glendale Union's Sunnyslope, and Chandler's Hamilton and Chandler High. "
List of schools with exceptional academic programs

"Greater Phoenix schools rank above national average
An important issue for residents in any location is the quality of education. The table below shows
the high school and unified districts that serve GPEC’s member cities. Arizona schools have[/SIZE]
adopted a new program that focuses on raising standards, requiring more discipline and[/SIZE]
expecting greater achievement.[/SIZE]
A statewide dropout prevention program was established in 1987[/SIZE]
In 1987, high school graduation requirements in math and science were also[/SIZE]
strengthened[/SIZE]
•The majority of Greater Phoenix school districts rank well above national averages on[/SIZE]
standardized achievement tests[/SIZE]
A number of the districts offer extensive “magnet” and other programs to help keep[/SIZE]
education relevant and interesting[/SIZE]
These districts provide specialized courses in career and vocational fields, articulating [/SIZE]
programs with the community colleges[/SIZE]
Magnet programs include: aeronautics and aerospace, visual arts, performing arts,[/SIZE]
agribusiness, computer studies, international baccalaureate, applied science and [/SIZE]
engineering, and 21st century leadership[/SIZE]"

http://www.surpriseaz.com/common/mod...w.asp?DID=2065 (broken link)

Old 06-29-2008, 11:58 PM

So any student living in Arizona can go to any school district and attend their schools? That's not what Scottsdale told me.

Also, the criteria measuring AZ schools is so much lower, than say, Indiana. Take a look at the top IN schools. RAte this Indiana school compared to the top AZ high schools here. Carmel High School: Best High Schools - USNews.com

Old 06-29-2008, 11:59 PM

Some of the schools you listed, such as Brophy, are not public schools and cost as much tuition wise as any college.
I am talking public schools here.
If you want to list affordable private schools, fine, but $12,000 a year is out of most folks's ranges.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Some of the schools you listed, such as Brophy, are not public schools and cost as much tuition wise as any college.
I am talking public schools here.
If you want to list affordable private schools, fine, but $12,000 a year is out of most folks's ranges.
That was one school, the rest are public.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:07 AM

Quote:
So any student living in Arizona can go to any school district and attend their schools? That's not what Scottsdale told me.

Also, the criteria measuring AZ schools is so much lower, than say, Indiana. Take a look at the top IN schools. RAte this Indiana school compared to the top AZ high schools here. Carmel High School: Best High Schools - USNews.com
I'm not sure what your point is. But if you want to compare single high schools, then you will be surprised to know that the best high school in the nation is in Tucson and is public...no Indiana school made the top 100 list. And the topic was Phoenix High Schools, which out perform the nation as I stated earlier.

America's Top Public High Schools | Newsweek Best High Schools | Newsweek.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area