Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 07:40 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by military spouse View Post
We did that about a month ago. The water was wonderful, but I think we are a bit too old to do it again. Fortunately, our 10 year-old daughter was oblivious to the "scene." I did have fun though!! Right now I'm trying to decide between a $3000 4 overnight trip to Seattle or a $600 4 overnight trip to Overgaard. Any thoughts? I should add that I'm particularly attracted to my $3000 and would hate to part with it! However, I would hate to not provide my husband with a true vacation and have him run back to where we came from!!!!!!!!! He is already peeved that I picked up a shift at work that has resulted in a much shorter vacation!
I'd take a trip to Greer, AZ myself. "Up the road a couple hours from Overgaard. It's another world up there with a stream running through a little mountain town in the tall, tall REAL pines. They have a couple resorts so there is dining but not much other action but endless hiking opportunites and relaxtion in a majestic setting. Otherwise, I don't like cities - any of them - would not pay good money to visit one when I could be sitting in a hot tub in the middle of Mother Nature's backyard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 08:15 PM

942 posts, read 2,520,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I'd take a trip to Greer, AZ myself. "Up the road a couple hours from Overgaard. It's another world up there with a stream running through a little mountain town in the tall, tall REAL pines. They have a couple resorts so there is dining but not much other action but endless hiking opportunites and relaxtion in a majestic setting. Otherwise, I don't like cities - any of them - would not pay good money to visit one when I could be sitting in a hot tub in the middle of Mother Nature's backyard.
Any nice places you can recommend in Greer?

Old 07-21-2008, 08:52 PM

71 posts, read 211,039 times
Just your username leads me to KNOW that you change your location every 2-4 years. We just finished living that life. Unfortunately, we moved her AFTER retirement from the military (lived here all of 3 weeks) and we can't go back, so to speak. I admit it's freaking me out that I have to endure these summers. I keep saying to myself "one summer at a time". Yes, secretly I am craving those cold temps that we experienced in New England

I have also heard you NEVER get use the heat...just learn to expect it and deal with it having 6 mos. of ideal temps.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Any nice places you can recommend in Greer?
I think this is the nicest place. I have been to the Molly Butler which is more rustic and is a historical place as well.

Greer, Arizona Cabin Rental, Vacation Rental Cabin in Arizona, Bed and Breakfast – Greer Lodge Resort - Home

Old 07-21-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
I think this is the nicest place. I have been to the Molly Butler which is more rustic and is a historical place as well.

Greer, Arizona Cabin Rental, Vacation Rental Cabin in Arizona, Bed and Breakfast – Greer Lodge Resort - Home
Thanks! That looks very nice and I will probably book it tomorrow and save Seattle for Thanksgiving.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Thanks! That looks very nice and I will probably book it tomorrow and save Seattle for Thanksgiving.
I hope you have a great time. I have a lot of wonderful memories from days spent in Greer. I've never stayed at Greer Lodge but have had dinner there. The food is awesome and the service is unbelievable. I think it is a 5-star restaurant. Anyway, enjoy!

Old 07-21-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinginSDagain View Post
Just your username leads me to KNOW that you change your location every 2-4 years. We just finished living that life. Unfortunately, we moved her AFTER retirement from the military (lived here all of 3 weeks) and we can't go back, so to speak. I admit it's freaking me out that I have to endure these summers. I keep saying to myself "one summer at a time". Yes, secretly I am craving those cold temps that we experienced in New England

I have also heard you NEVER get use the heat...just learn to expect it and deal with it having 6 mos. of ideal temps.
Actually, my husband retired about 2 years ago and we chose to move here and will probably be here for awhile. You probably understand the pressure associated with feeling obligated to remain in one place. There is a lot of pressure!!!!!!!!

Old 07-21-2008, 10:09 PM

219 posts, read 779,258 times
I moved here in mid June and my first week it was 112-115 every day, the monsoon has cooled it down considerably and it has been much cooler since, typically around 100. Granted, it is a bit more humid, maybe 25-30% but I still consider it dry. I don't care what others say about monsoon moisture making it worse now, there is nothing worse than 115 degrees, no matter how dry it is. Everything feels like it is on fire. I would much rather it be 100 and 20% humidity.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
I hope you have a great time. I have a lot of wonderful memories from days spent in Greer. I've never stayed at Greer Lodge but have had dinner there. The food is awesome and the service is unbelievable. I think it is a 5-star restaurant. Anyway, enjoy!
One last thing. I suggest you drive via Globe (US 60) to Whiteriver and from there up to AZ 260 if you have not seen Salt River Canyon. It's real eye candy. Come back the other way through Show Low Pinetop across and down the rim on 260. .

Old 07-21-2008, 10:30 PM

92 posts, read 311,164 times
What I've noticed in the brief week I've been here is that if you are not an outdoors person (as I am currently not), then there's no problem. It's a great scenario: you're indoors enjoying AC either at work or at home, in a car or in a store...BUT...the sun is beautiful so you feel uplifted driving everywhere. When I am out in the heat for a brief period of time, it's almost calming. I haven't noticed the "you'll burn your hand on a car door" kind of heat yet. When does that happen? One downside: I love A/C, but at a training session today the A/C was so cold it gave me a headache. I *never* complain about A/C, but they opened an exterior door because it was so cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area