Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 08:27 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by military spouse View Post
NYC! I'd have to have enough money to go to nice restaurants and the theater whenever I wanted. I would also want to live in a great area, maybe across from Bryant Park.
Apparently NYC has improved dramatically from its 'dog days' ca. 1976-84 till now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 08:31 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
If I had to leave the Southwest: the Puget Sound area would be high on my radar as well.
Did you mean the 'Goose Island', Dr. Falken?

Old 11-03-2008, 10:09 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Apparently NYC has improved dramatically from its 'dog days' ca. 1976-84 till now.
Oh YEAH!

I graduated from HS out in East Hampton on Long Island in 1973 and made many trips into the city back then. It was a PIT.

MUCH, MUCH better today - NO comparison.

Of course the same is true of Seattle. It was pretty bad off when I moved here (from NY in 73) and (except for traffic and the cost of housing) is a WHOLE lot better now than it was then.

Crime in particular is WAY DOWN in both places - as it is generally nationwide.

Ken

Old 11-03-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Oh YEAH!

I graduated from HS out in East Hampton on Long Island in 1973 and made many trips into the city back then. It was a PIT.

MUCH, MUCH better today - NO comparison.

Of course the same is true of Seattle. It was pretty bad off when I moved here (from NY in 73) and (except for traffic and the cost of housing) is a WHOLE lot better now than it was then.

Crime in particular is WAY DOWN in both places - as it is generally nationwide.

Ken
That is interesting about Seattle: the impression I have gotten from old timers who lived there 40 years ago was it was much nicer as in down to earth vs. the glitzy/moneyed atmosphere today.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:05 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
That is interesting about Seattle: the impression I have gotten from old timers who lived there 40 years ago was it was much nicer as in down to earth vs. the glitzy/moneyed atmosphere today.
There is some truth in that. Seattle WAS a pretty small city back then - much less glitzy/moneyed atmosphere than has today. The problem is, it was also pretty economically depressed - after all just a few year earlier the famous "will the last person leaving Seattle please turn off the lights" billboard had been put up. Back then many parts of the city were badly decayed and run-down and the crime rate was very high. Even the East Side cities of Bellevue etc were pretty quiet economically. On Sundays, downtown Bellevue was a ghost town. I spent the late 70's running a car wash in a very bad part of Seattle and have many pretty horrid stories to tell - including that of a girl I once dated being murdered by her then-boyfriend, my wife almost being robbed, and 2 dudes who (briefly) worked for me later being convicted of the murder of cops' wife (and attempted murder of the cop - who had arrested them for a previous crime). All in all, Seattle was not that great a place back then.

I MUCH prefer it nowadays.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
There is some truth in that. Seattle WAS a pretty small city back then - much less glitzy/moneyed atmosphere than has today. The problem is, it was also pretty economically depressed - after all just a few year earlier the famous "will the last person leaving Seattle please turn off the lights" billboard had been put up. Back then many parts of the city were badly decayed and run-down and the crime rate was very high. Even the East Side cities of Bellevue etc were pretty quiet economically. On Sundays, downtown Bellevue was a ghost town. I spent the late 70's running a car wash in a very bad part of Seattle and have many pretty horrid stories to tell - including that of a girl I once dated being murdered by her then-boyfriend, my wife almost being robbed, and 2 dudes who (briefly) worked for me later being convicted of the murder of cops' wife (and attempted murder of the cop - who had arrested them for a previous crime). All in all, Seattle was not that great a place back then.

I MUCH prefer it nowadays.
WOW!

That is interesting...........I had no idea that Seattle was that bad since at least WW II.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area