Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 11:38 AM

674 posts, read 2,553,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh1013 View Post
We may divorce
You should
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 01:06 PM

467 posts, read 1,190,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
Katy is not Houston. It's major suburbia, as evident in your description. Katy --> central Houston = 30 miles. It's like a different world.
Well, I have lived in Houston for 10 years, Seattle for 10 years, Hawaii 1 years, Groton Ct. for 2 years, Albuquerque for 10 years and Scottsdale for 10 years.

Out of all the places I liked the best, it was Seattle. Even though it rains all of the time, their is so much stuff you can do there. You name it....it's there.

Houston! On a scale from 1 to 10...yeah, it's a 4.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:57 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,847,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head coach View Post
Well, I have lived in Houston for 10 years, Seattle for 10 years, Hawaii 1 years, Groton Ct. for 2 years, Albuquerque for 10 years and Scottsdale for 10 years.

Out of all the places I liked the best, it was Seattle. Even though it rains all of the time, their is so much stuff you can do there. You name it....it's there.

Houston! On a scale from 1 to 10...yeah, it's a 4.
Then you'd probably give Katy a 1!

But Houston has changed a lot in the last few years... for the better.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:34 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,020,724 times
Quote:
Then you'd probably give Katy a 1!

But Houston has changed a lot in the last few years... for the better.
I don't dislike Texas as a whole but I do not like Houston. I love San Antonio (not the Spurs), and Dallas is fun, but Houston may have a great job market but its just ugly, extremely humid and hot, the most obese American city, polluted, high crime against persons, and in S.E. Texas...enough said.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:09 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,847,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
I don't dislike Texas as a whole but I do not like Houston. I love San Antonio (not the Spurs), and Dallas is fun, but Houston may have a great job market but its just ugly, extremely humid and hot, the most obese American city, polluted, high crime against persons, and in S.E. Texas...enough said.
"Ugly" would describe the views from freeways and large roads. Once you're down in the city and away from that, I don't see how it's ugly. It's certainly got a lot more natural beauty (large trees, greenery, bayous and creeks) than Dallas (which lacks much of that in comparison).

San Antonio isn't much less hot/humid. And Dallas is actually hotter.

It's not the most obese city either. That was a flawed Men's Fitness Magazine (Men's version of Cosmo Magazine... yeah) list from years ago. They measured things like number of restaurants to determine if a city was obese. Check CDC stats instead (which actually looked at samples of the population) and you'll see otherwise (like San Antonio ranked much more obese than Houston).

Dallas ranks only two spots behind in ozone pollution. Oh, Dallas also has a higher crime ranking than Houston, and has for many years.

I think you should do more research on these things to find out the facts, rather than going on some sort of impression or stereotype (which is what it sounds like...) I've got links if you need them, but I'm surprised you haven't found these things out yourself.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
"Ugly" would describe the views from freeways and large roads. Once you're down in the city and away from that, I don't see how it's ugly. It's certainly got a lot more natural beauty (large trees, greenery, bayous and creeks) than Dallas (which lacks much of that in comparison).

San Antonio isn't much less hot/humid. And Dallas is actually hotter.

It's not the most obese city either. That was a flawed Men's Fitness Magazine (Men's version of Cosmo Magazine... yeah) list from years ago. They measured things like number of restaurants to determine if a city was obese. Check CDC stats instead (which actually looked at samples of the population) and you'll see otherwise (like San Antonio ranked much more obese than Houston).

Dallas ranks only two spots behind in ozone pollution. Oh, Dallas also has a higher crime ranking than Houston, and has for many years.

I think you should do more research on these things to find out the facts, rather than going on some sort of impression or stereotype (which is what it sounds like...) I've got links if you need them, but I'm surprised you haven't found these things out yourself.
I'm actually listing why I dislike Houston. I don't need surveys to tell me I don't like it. But you are right, Memphis replaced Houston as the most obese city a while ago. It has a higher crime rate, murder rate, assualt rate then Phoenix, therefore my POV stands, it is humid, I don't need a link to know that, and I like San Antonio and Dallas more. I don't need a survey to tell me that either. It is very polluted. Unlike most people who post negatives about Phoenix, they tend to berate and flat out lie, I am not berating just listing why I don't like it. One thing Houston does have is lots of oil money and a great job market...but there are too many reasons not to like it. However, remember, these are reason I do not like it. Just like there are real reasons people do no like Phoenix; too hot for them, a currently bad real estate market, huge suburban expanses (same as Houston or any western city), desert vegetation and lifestyle, etc. But most people who don't like Phoenix try to pass it off as one of the most dangerous cities with a bad economy. It is not a dangerous city, and the real estate market is horrible for the moment but the career and business environments are strong. I think this is the main reason for the OP's dislike of Houston and why I sympathize with him.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:36 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,404,910 times
What the heck is "desert lifestyle"? Seriously, Im curious. Thanks.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
What the heck is "desert lifestyle"? Seriously, Im curious. Thanks.
A desert lifestyle is one that encompasses use of little water and lack of large green expanses. Phoenix is in a desert and therefore many trees and high pollunating plants have been banned from future planting and use. Many varieties of plant life in Phoenix that was imported in the past have been plucked by the city. The lack of 4 seasons, extremely high number of days without rain or clouds, intense sunshine, etc.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:47 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,404,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
A desert lifestyle is one that encompasses use of little water and lack of large green expanses. Phoenix is in a desert and therefore many trees and high pollunating plants have been banned from future planting and use. Many varieties of plant life in Phoenix that was imported in the past have been plucked by the city. The lack of 4 seasons, extremely high number of days without rain or clouds, intense sunshine, etc.
Thats not a "lifestyle". You're talking about lack of greenage, water conservation, non-native flora and weather.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:58 PM

Sure it is. It's a way of life, a way of living, hence... a lifestyle. You're telling me the weather does not influence a lifestyle??? Seriously?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area