Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 04:40 PM

426 posts, read 1,307,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladdin View Post
I like the idea of putting the legs of the bed in glass jars, but what kind of jars would be strong enough where the weight of the bed wouldn't crack or break them? I've also heard that you should put the bed legs in cups filled with water....not sure if that works.
Go to Crate and Barrel, or one of the hobby stores. They should have some decent choices. You're looking for thickness at the base more than anything.

We have our girls' cribs legs in square and thick vases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 03:02 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,745,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladdin View Post
I like the idea of putting the legs of the bed in glass jars, but what kind of jars would be strong enough where the weight of the bed wouldn't crack or break them? I've also heard that you should put the bed legs in cups filled with water....not sure if that works.
When the Panama Canal was being built, this was routinely done for hospital beds. Years later it was realized that the dishes of water became breeding grounds for mosquitoes, resulting in a large number of deaths from Yellow Fever.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:52 PM

197 posts, read 393,138 times
I believe your area has had a higher percentage of scorpion infestations. The best recommendation I could offer is to not skimp on professional help for the problem. Sometimes in the long run, it pays off, and hopefully you can sleep better at night.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:58 PM

103 posts, read 229,392 times
I just found it funny your scared and you're wife is okay.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:19 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,752,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr72 View Post
Hi everyone,

Several weeks ago, I came on here asking for input about where to buy a house in the East Valley. My wife and I settled on west Chandler (85226) -- Village of Gila Springs, to be exact. Just south of the Kyrene & Ray intersection. The house is beautiful and the neighborhood quiet, but in three days we've already killed four bark scorpions in the garage and one in the downstairs bathroom. I can't sleep at night and I've had paranoid delusions of scorpions crawling on me in bed, sometimes even feeling stings that aren't real. My wife isn't nearly as fearful as I am, but when I wake up in cold sweats at every hour of the morning, kicking sheets off of me, she is also jolted out of sleep.

I don't know what to do. I fear going home every night and I want to sleep in a hotel. I've tried to push it out of my mind and just relax, but I have a hyperactive imagination when it comes to these kinds of things. No matter how I try, I cannot control my fears psychologically. I need absolute assurances that the scorpions are being kept out.

The yard is LUSH -- watered lawn, decorative rocks, plants everywhere, a wood shed in the back, and stacks of firewood. The green is nice, but if it's harboring scorpions, I want it out -- so on to my question -- will xeriscaping the yard reduce our scorpion population? I'm willing to do anything to help the problem.

I've read that pesticides aren't very effective, so I'd rather not go that route. Is paying a professional to seal your house worth it, or is it something I could do easily enough on my own for much less money? I don't want to tear up the yard if getting the home 100% sealed will spell the end of our scorpion visits, but on the other hand, I don't want to pay the money to get the house sealed if a landscape change (presumably less expensive) will stop the problem in its tracks.

Thank you to all who respond.
Tuck your sheets in very well. My neighbor was stung in bed and she now checks every night and tucks the ends in very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area