Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 09:34 AM

6 posts, read 21,948 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Several weeks ago, I came on here asking for input about where to buy a house in the East Valley. My wife and I settled on west Chandler (85226) -- Village of Gila Springs, to be exact. Just south of the Kyrene & Ray intersection. The house is beautiful and the neighborhood quiet, but in three days we've already killed four bark scorpions in the garage and one in the downstairs bathroom. I can't sleep at night and I've had paranoid delusions of scorpions crawling on me in bed, sometimes even feeling stings that aren't real. My wife isn't nearly as fearful as I am, but when I wake up in cold sweats at every hour of the morning, kicking sheets off of me, she is also jolted out of sleep.

I don't know what to do. I fear going home every night and I want to sleep in a hotel. I've tried to push it out of my mind and just relax, but I have a hyperactive imagination when it comes to these kinds of things. No matter how I try, I cannot control my fears psychologically. I need absolute assurances that the scorpions are being kept out.

The yard is LUSH -- watered lawn, decorative rocks, plants everywhere, a wood shed in the back, and stacks of firewood. The green is nice, but if it's harboring scorpions, I want it out -- so on to my question -- will xeriscaping the yard reduce our scorpion population? I'm willing to do anything to help the problem.

I've read that pesticides aren't very effective, so I'd rather not go that route. Is paying a professional to seal your house worth it, or is it something I could do easily enough on my own for much less money? I don't want to tear up the yard if getting the home 100% sealed will spell the end of our scorpion visits, but on the other hand, I don't want to pay the money to get the house sealed if a landscape change (presumably less expensive) will stop the problem in its tracks.

Thank you to all who respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 02:05 PM

bump

Old 11-26-2008, 02:21 PM

824 posts, read 2,336,387 times
Here is what I did.

Seal all of your doors and windows and their frames immediately. Check for other sealing issues after these are done.

To the extent that you feel comfortable, use several generic bug foggers in your garage and throughout your house. It is tough to kill scorpions, but they do work to some extent, including killing the insects that serve as food for the scorpions. Do not forget to fog any attic space.

Buy 50 pounds of food-grade diatomaceous earth and spread it around the entire perimeter of your house after rain is no longer in the forecast. Repeat this every six months.

To the extent that you are not sleeping, put on a small light in the room and wear a sleep mask. Modest light is basically like kryptonite to these things. Well, not kryptonite, but they do not like any light.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:28 PM

Thanks azjack. Do you know where I can pick up food-grade DE locally?

Old 11-26-2008, 02:34 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Follow azjacks suggestions. Changing your yard to xeriscape will make no difference. Actually xeriscape is their natural habitat.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:51 PM

824 posts, read 2,336,387 times
Quote:
"Thanks azjack. Do you know where I can pick up food-grade DE locally?"
I looked into it and did not find any. Perhaps someone here will mention a place. But I found it online from eBay seller earthworkshealth ( 649) for $55 including shipping for a 50 pound bag of food grade DE. If you do not have an eBay account, it looks like they sell it for the same price on their website.

If you can find it cheaper than $55 total, then buy it. Otherwise this eBay seller always has it listed.

Wear a mask because of the dust inhalation factor, but it is non-toxic stuff to people.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:49 PM
RCR

264 posts, read 909,771 times
The pile of firewood mentioned sounds like a breeding ground to me. I would get rid of it. Also if you are seeing, or hearing, a lot of crickets around get the outside area of your house sprayed. Crickets are a favorite food of scorpions.

Old 11-26-2008, 04:15 PM

682 posts, read 2,566,909 times
When people talk about sealing their homes, are they talking about sealing the foundation or just doors and windows? What is being used for sealants?

altus2006

Old 11-26-2008, 06:32 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
I had Burns for about 2 years, then got smart.
I found out what they used and bought my own. I have a garden sprayer and a bottle of Demand CS. You mix with water in the sprayer and go all around the foundation 2-3 times a year.
No bugs in my house now ! I also got some for my daughter; chek out on line www.doyourownpestcontrol.com or something like that. Kills scorps, roaches, crickets and is safe around pets.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:57 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
I looked into it and did not find any. Perhaps someone here will mention a place. But I found it online from eBay seller earthworkshealth ( 649) for $55 including shipping for a 50 pound bag of food grade DE. If you do not have an eBay account, it looks like they sell it for the same price on their website.

If you can find it cheaper than $55 total, then buy it. Otherwise this eBay seller always has it listed.

Wear a mask because of the dust inhalation factor, but it is non-toxic stuff to people.
Have you tried, Summer Winds, Berridge, Baker's, or Harper's Nurseries?They all used to carry Diamatious Earth.
Dave the Garden Guy at Poco Verde carries the stuff: Garden Guy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area