Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 08:16 AM

1,942 posts, read 4,570,821 times

Advertisements

People in Phoenix do not signal, cut each other off rudely, make last minute lane changes. mostly from big redneck monster trucks. I'm tired of them. While I'm wary about privacy laws, driving on a freeway is a privilege, not a right. I love the speed cameras. Driving is more orderly now and there is more courtesy on the freeways. There are too many good-ol-boys here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 08:28 AM

Yes it does! Where is your logic? People upset about speed cameras SHOULD NOT BE ON THOSE ROADWAYS. Obviously those people think that speed limits are for the little people (sounds like Leona Helmsly's "taxes are for little people"). I have no sympathy for nut cases who think they are above the law.

There was one redneck who shot a worker. What you do NOT see is how many accidents were prevented because people obeyed the speed limits when they knew they are in the camera range. Traffic evenly spaced and orderly, no a$$hat trying to push another car ahead of him to go faster in the camera range.

[quote=Valley Native;8440017]I would like to add, however, that according to all the so called experts, photo radar cameras were put in place to make the freeways & streets "safer". Does this roadside murder equate to safer conditions??? Well, does it???

quote]

Old 04-22-2009, 10:10 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
People in Phoenix do not signal, cut each other off rudely, make last minute lane changes. mostly from big redneck monster trucks. I'm tired of them. While I'm wary about privacy laws, driving on a freeway is a privilege, not a right. I love the speed cameras. Driving is more orderly now and there is more courtesy on the freeways. There are too many good-ol-boys here.
BEAUTIFULLY STATED, Howard . . . I agree with all of your points.

You label them Good-Ol-Boys and Rednecks . . . I prefer first-person-singular, arrogant, rude THUGS with absolutely no respect for the other drivers on the road.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:47 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
I saw the picture of that shooter in the newspaper. He looks like one friggin' redneck - is he from Alabama? I'll bet he was incited by all the nutcases out there who raged about the cams. Now look at what they did!

Speed limits are there for a reason: safety. Cams are needed in Phoenix because there are too many people who drive so fast that they are hazards to others.

I'm an extreme believer in freedom and individual liberty (voted Llibertarian most of the last 30 years). And I know if those freeways were private toll roads, the companies would still impose limits. Order on roads is important. Freeway driving is a privilege, not a right.
You sound quite authoritarian for someone who votes Libertarian! I am also a Libertarian, and while I agree with you that driving is definitely a privilege vs. a right, the notion of forcing photo radar on Arizonans without a public vote is the main thing to consider. Napolitano stepped out of bounds several times as Governor, and implementing the speed camera program was the final straw. The ironic thing is that she even ADMITTED that the cameras would boost revenue for the state considering that we're in a budget crisis. So nobody can tell me that they are there for safety when it is obvious that their sole purpose is revenue generation!

And regarding your statement about driving not being a right, that would include everybody who operates a motor vehicle. For instance, nobody has the right to drive slow on a freeway (especially in the left lane) and obstruct the general flow of traffic. Arizona law specifically states that slow traffic must stay in the right lane, and that is an absolute law. Speed limits are not absolute, except in certain designated areas.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:51 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
I, too, left Phoenix for Las Vegas as a result of their methods of "revenue collection", as that's what it is, plain and simple.

As AARP predicts, in the future, the senior population is destined to become the biggest criminal population in our society. I was mugged in Quito, Ecuador a few years back by two well-dressed gray-haired senior citizens.
After the incident, I thought: Is the future for my country as well?

This incident shouldn't surprise anyone who has had secret dreams of doing something similar after having received their latest ticket. These people, who admit they hate the cameras, and say: This guy deserves to be executed, are really expressing envy, jealousy, in my opinion, that someone had the guts to do it. Fess up! Admit it!

Old 04-22-2009, 07:57 PM

Ok good points. I always stay in the right-most lanes when I go the limits. I understand that point.

At least I think you and I would agree that all roadways should be privatized. Like I say, I'm an extreme libertarian - "The Market for Liberty," by Morris and Linda Tannehill, "No Treason: The Constitution of No Authority," by Lysander Spooner, "How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World," by Harry Browne.

You get the picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
You sound quite authoritarian for someone who votes Libertarian! I am also a Libertarian, and while I agree with you that driving is definitely a privilege vs. a right, the notion of forcing photo radar on Arizonans without a public vote is the main thing to consider. Napolitano stepped out of bounds several times as Governor, and implementing the speed camera program was the final straw. The ironic thing is that she even ADMITTED that the cameras would boost revenue for the state considering that we're in a budget crisis. So nobody can tell me that they are there for safety when it is obvious that their sole purpose is revenue generation!

And regarding your statement about driving not being a right, that would include everybody who operates a motor vehicle. For instance, nobody has the right to drive slow on a freeway (especially in the left lane) and obstruct the general flow of traffic. Arizona law specifically states that slow traffic must stay in the right lane, and that is an absolute law. Speed limits are not absolute, except in certain designated areas.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:59 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Ok good points. I always stay in the right-most lanes when I go the limits. I understand that point.

At least I think you and I would agree that all roadways should be privatized. Like I say, I'm an extreme libertarian - "The Market for Liberty," by Morris and Linda Tannehill, "No Treason: The Constitution of No Authority," by Lysander Spooner, "How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World," by Harry Browne.

You get the picture!
LOL, you say you are an extreme Libertarian but your posts suggest otherwise, more like a liberal Democrat if you ask me.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:33 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:

You get the picture!
Matter of fact, I'm in favor of toll roads, which would be owned and managed by a private entity. Turning Arizona's highway system over to a private firm might actually get the additional proposed freeways built faster. ADOT and MAG are known for their long delays, squandering taxpayer money, and making lame excuses about why the funds that we approved as voters are suddenly not available to build or maintain these roads.

I'm glad you at least stay in the right lane when driving on freeways. However, I'm still confused as to why you favor photo radar when it is basically a tax on those use the freeways for driving fast, as freeways are designed for! Does it really make sense to have such an extensive speed camera program in Arizona where the roads are good and the weather is clear most of the time? You CAN drive fast in Arizona & still be generally safe, whereas you are not always able to do so in other places where the weather is forbidding. This is the last place where such an intense speed enforcement program is needed.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:47 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
The vans are back out there.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:58 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Matter of fact, I'm in favor of toll roads, which would be owned and managed by a private entity. Turning Arizona's highway system over to a private firm might actually get the additional proposed freeways built faster. ADOT and MAG are known for their long delays, squandering taxpayer money, and making lame excuses about why the funds that we approved as voters are suddenly not available to build or maintain these roads.
Unfortunately, Valley . . . Private Construction Companies tend to mimic the performance of Government Agencies such as ADOT and MAG when spending the Taxpayers' Money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area