Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 12:39 PM

149 posts, read 533,651 times

Advertisements

We had CertaPro Painters (through CostCo) painted the exterior of our house starting Tuesday 5/5. The job completed on Saturday 5/9. The next day 5/10, we noticed that the stucco repair materials that they used started to come off the stucco wall all around the house. We now can see white patches everywhere. I have attached a photo of an area where the problem occurs.

I am sure CertaPro will try to fix the problem but we are not sure if they will do it properly. This is based on several other minor problems that we found with the quality of their workers.

What should we expect them to property fix the problem? I don't think repainting is a proper way to fix this. Should all the stucco wall areas be scrapped off before they repaint? We spent 5K for this job and were totally disappointed.
Attached Thumbnails
Exterior paint job headache.  Need advice from experts.-img_0463_small.jpg  

Last edited by SpaceNeedle; 05-11-2009 at 12:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 12:54 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,710,724 times
Did you receive / request a written contract, Space?

If so, what are the conditions or limits of the work being performed?

Old 05-11-2009, 01:06 PM

Thank you for you quick reply Bummer .

Yes, we did receive a written contract but my husband took it to CostCo today. According to their fine prints (if I remember correctly), they will guarantee their work as long as the paint defects are not caused by something beyond their controls. The actual text is half a page long.

This is the 3rd major projects we made to our house since we moved to AZ in 2004. All, except one, were a big headache with the workmanship. This time around we thought we could have some peace of mind since CostCo was behind this company. Well, I guess we were wrong.

Again, I'm sure they will try to fix it. But we want to know what's the correct way to fix this problem.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:03 PM

410 posts, read 1,293,752 times
Hmmm.. gosh I really don't know what the proper way to fix stucco is, but I am anxious to see more replies. We are going to be painting the exterior of our house later this year and hadn't even thought of using Costco for that..

Old 05-11-2009, 05:00 PM

Quick Updates: My husband went to CostCo in Scottsdale today. A manager at CostCo told him that this was normal and we should be able to do touch ups ourselves!!! He couldn't believe what he was hearing. Do people here in AZ normally pay 5K for a paint job and start doing touch ups from day 1? These white patches are *all over* the wall around the house.

Can someone here confirm this?

Anyway, we called CostCo main office and they contacted CertaPro right away. Certa Pro will come out to our house on Wednesday.

Last edited by SpaceNeedle; 05-11-2009 at 06:12 PM..

Old 05-11-2009, 05:57 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,295,875 times
Doing touch ups yourselves seems ridiculous to me. If you are paying professionals they should do it right and you shouldn't have to lift a finger!

I hope CertaPro fixes your problems, sorry to hear about your headache!

We are planning on painting the exterior or our house sometime this year.. at least now I know not to go through Costco..

Old 05-11-2009, 07:02 PM

410 posts, read 1,293,752 times
Wow, no kidding! Touch ups.. that's ridiculous! Costco usually goes out of their way to make it right, hopefully the main office will get it corrected ASAP. Please keep us updated.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:50 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,783,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azcater View Post
Wow, no kidding! Touch ups.. that's ridiculous! Costco usually goes out of their way to make it right, hopefully the main office will get it corrected ASAP. Please keep us updated.
Stay on them. Make them get the job done right. If they don't, then send a certified letter to both companies giving them 10 days to correct the situation or you will send a written complaint to the Contractors License board, and the Better Business Bureau, as well as the television station that investigates consumer complaints.

If they don't take care of it, then follow up and do what you have told them you'll do.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:53 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,067,197 times
yes, please keep us updated....very interested in what caused this...

Costco is a great company...that local manager may not have understood the problem or thought he was being helpful....or having a bad day or something...

touchups should not be done for years....a paint job is "do it and then do it again in ten years"....

you said you had some stucco re-patching or something as part of the paint job....that complicates it a bit, but shouldn't be doing what you show in the picture....

Old 05-12-2009, 03:49 PM

82 posts, read 205,711 times
I have done alot of painting in my life and it sounds to me like the areas painted were not prepped properly IE: sanded, scraped, chemically treated if necessary etc. Were you home when they started and if so did you see any prep work being done? I would demand they reprep the entire house correctly and then repaint the entire house over again. If they don't do this then you will not be sure how long the paint job will last. You might also contact the paint manufacturer regarding the white spots. They have usually seen it all and probably know exactly what went wrong. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area