Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 02:13 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,019,212 times

Advertisements

I thought this was an eye catching article, enjoy the nice weather now because we will return to normal by next week. The weather however, has been marvelous this month.

Picture by Nick Oza/The Arizona Republic, June 2009
[IMG][/IMG]
Quote:
June hasn't been this nice since ... 1913
But Valley's stretch of days below 100°, now at 14, is about to come to an end

by John Faherty - Jun. 19, 2009 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic

Meteorologists are reluctant to call a month "nice." They have their data and their science and typically do not describe the weather in such subjective terms.

Except now, because the data prove it.

"It's probably the best June since I've been here, and I've been here most of my life," said the National Weather Service's Valerie Meyers, who is in her late 40s. "It's been really nice."

Possibly the nicest June ever.

It's that type of thing that is fun to say but hard to quantify.

Thursday, however, was the 14th consecutive day to stay below 100 degrees. That's the longest stretch of its kind in any June since 1913.

The lower temperatures have allowed people to sleep with windows open and drive with their arms out vehicle windows. Evenings, too, have been spent chatting with neighbors while children or grandchildren play. Those events are not life-changing, but they are, well, nice.

Typically in June, high-pressure systems begin to form above the Valley. High pressure means clear skies and little wind. And, in June, clear skies let in the sunshine, sending the temperatures soaring.

This June, though, has remained cool because of what Meyers called "a persistent area of low pressure off the West Coast."

The low pressure has prevented the high-pressure systems from getting into place.

Alas, all good things must come to an end. This weekend, the days will heat up. Temperatures are expected to be back in the 104-105 range by the middle of next week.

Last edited by fcorrales80; 06-19-2009 at 02:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 03:38 AM

963 posts, read 2,302,433 times
Default I couldn't agree more!

http://abqstyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/sunny-phoenix-downtown.jpg (broken link)

I agree wholeheartedly! It's a great time to be in Phoenix! Instead of the all pervasive, hot, pale blue haze that bleaches everything in sight, we’ve had the sort of partially cloudy days that are more typical of the winter months. This is great for my photography, yielding more attractive daytime photos. Look at that rich blue sky . . . nice! Normally, you can see the heat!

Though I know that it cannot last, I hope that the forecasters are wrong!

Old 06-19-2009, 04:33 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,666,076 times
I live in WA and this is the best June I have experienced in my 18 years here. Usually it is raining, but we have had a whole month of dry sunny days. On the other hand the wildlife, the plants and the grass don't know what to do. Almost everything in my garden has bloomed, where usually things bloom from June through August. Weather is certainly changing.
As I am looking into relocating to Phoenix next year, I am happy at your post.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:31 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,412,662 times
Smile Tell it to the global warming believers

Is this evidence that global warming might not be true??? Shouldn't it be getting hotter if the global warming myth were true??

Old 06-19-2009, 10:41 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,063,792 times
I live in Indiana and this is just another typical average Summer here. Daily Highs in the high 70's/low 80's with lows in the 30's at some points

Old 06-19-2009, 11:22 PM

638 posts, read 2,244,369 times
We've been enjoying the great weather in Las Vegas too! We did not get much rain, but the clouds have been a welcomed change from the sun.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:34 PM

639 posts, read 2,711,626 times
Quote:
Is this evidence that global warming might not be true??? Shouldn't it be getting hotter if the global warming myth were true??

No, actually this type of weather is consistent with global warming.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:32 AM

42 posts, read 153,670 times
It's been wonderful weather, the best June in my 5 years here -- I've been loving it! Although it looks like I'll be moving, it's tempting to try and stay here, then again, 1913 was the last time...

Old 06-20-2009, 11:01 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,607,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
I live in Indiana and this is just another typical average Summer here. Daily Highs in the high 70's/low 80's with lows in the 30's at some points
compare your winters to ours then return...

This is great summer weather for the Phoenix area. This would be comparable to you having 70 degree weather in the dead of winter.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:00 PM

307 posts, read 954,333 times
Question I don't get the comparison???

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
I don't get why the comparison to Indiana?

The point of the OP was saying how PHX typically is hotter...

Yes, I have been driving around with my windows down, spending a lot more time outside, etc.

Typically, a lot of PHX residents would shy away from spending so much time outside this time of year...

But again, what does that have to do with Indy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: