Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 02:27 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
An insured labor? That is kind of a weird concept. I would do it if it was on a Thrusday or Friday. I've moved 15 or so times between Arizona and California.
Insured meaning if the mover gets injured on the job, you would not be liable if they incurred any injuries. It can also mean if they damage your property, the mover's insurance would reimburse you for damages up to a certain limit. I would not hire someone who was not insured.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 02:39 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,062 times
What happened to days of hiring neighborhood teens to do the work? We need licensed and bonded to cut grass or move furniture?

Old 06-27-2009, 02:48 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
I will be facing this issue pretty soon. I will do the move myself, but my wife can't help me with the real heavy stuff. I don't want to contribute to the problem by hiring Mexican day laborers. But I think it's no worse than contributing to a silly state bureaucracy of having to pay insurance and taxes through some temp agency for hiring two guys for a few hours of work. I hope I can just find a few teenagers in my neighborhood who want to earn a few bucks. I don't need pros. I just need some strong backs and extra sets of hands and eyes for a few hours.
In my experience in Arizona, most companies involved with labor like landscaping, and moving just hire illegals anyway. You are paying a middle man. It happens all the time here. The company will have a name like Smith Landscaping. You will speak to an American on the phone but guess who shows up to actually to do the job...yup illegals, except you just paid three times more than if you hired them yourself. And the companies that are legitimate are far more expensive because these companies have to endure the cost of paying for legal workers. In my experience the only people who hire these companies are rich people because they are the only ones who can afford to do so.

I agree that hiring illegals is wrong and it contributes to the problem. But often the people who are condemning others for doing that are "unaware" they are doing the same thing by hiring companies who simply outsource illegals. I mean seriously, you can' be that dumb to not recognize John Doe Movers hired illegals to do your lawn. When three Hispanic men show up to your house and don't speak English, do you really think their American employers did all they could to verify their employee's documents were legitimate. But of course Mary and Johnny in North Scottsdale feel great because they didn't hire an illegal. There is this huge hypocritcal stance in the valley in which it's wrong for residents to hire illegals to do small jobs but it's completely acceptable if companies hires them. I don't see people throwing a fit when they see John Doe Builders hiring illegals to build houses but if Mary down the street hires someone to do her yard, it's suddenly a grave sin

Last edited by azriverfan.; 06-27-2009 at 03:09 PM..

Old 06-27-2009, 02:57 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
In my experience in Arizona, most companies involved with labor like landscaping, and moving just hire illegals anyway. You are paying a middle man. It happens all the time here. The company will have a name like Smith Landscaping. You will speak to an American on the phone but guess who shows up to actually to do the job...yup illegals, except you just paid three times more than if you hired them yourself.

I agree that hiring illegals is wrong and it contributes to the problem. But often the people who are condemning others for doing that are unaware they are doing the same thing by hiring companies who simply outsource illegals. I mean seriously, you can' be that dumb to recognize John Doe Movers hired illegals to do your lawn. When three Hispanic men show up to your house and none of them speak English. Do you really think their American employers did all they could to verify their documents were legitimate. But of course Mary and Johnny in North Scottsdale feel great because they didn't hire an illegal. There is this huge hypocritcal stance in the valley which condemns people from hiring illegals themselves but it's okay businesses do it.
Thumbs up...I agree 100%.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:14 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,353,604 times
Well, I have unknowingly had illegals work on my yard, but I wasn't writing the check. My landlord was and he sent them out here. I'd love to hire some neighborhood teenagers. But I never see any! Where are they? I sometimes see very young kids out playing in my neighborhood, but I don't think any are more than 12 yrs. old. I may try the the Albertson's by my house. I'm sure some of those kids are responsible, since they already have a job, all speak native English and I'll pay them a lot more per hour than they're getting there. I just hope none of them ask me to buy them beer, like customers did for us when I was a mover in high school.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:11 PM

611 posts, read 1,990,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
I just hope none of them ask me to buy them beer, like customers did for us when I was a mover in high school.
Ah the good old days. HS class of '79

Old 06-28-2009, 08:33 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
Unfortunately, the teen agers of today do not want to do manual labor. Cutting grass is beneath them. I doubt if there are many teen agers who will want to haul furniture unless you pay them $25/hr. And if they hurt their back, rest assured that their parents will sue you. For that reason, I would not hire a teenager.

However, my 14 and 16 year old granddaughter and grandson will do any type of work for me because we're good friends and I've done a lot of activities with them all of their life.

When they're available I use them to do some work on my properties, to give them work experience, some extra money, and to spend time together. They're fun to be around, and they're only willing to do that work because we enjoy each others company.

But there is no way that my grandson would do gardening work as a job. He won't work at the McDonald type fast food places either. The job has to be "cool". For the summer he applied to Home Depot and an auto supply store because that was "cool". He didn't get either one.

The reason the Hispanics are doing this manual labor type of work is because they don't mind working hard to earn money, and they don't have the education to get white collar type jobs. The sharp ones move on to starting their own company.

There are many Hispanics out there who are here legally, so don't fall into the trap of thinking that every Hispanic is illegal just because they don't speak fluent English.

Val Vista Lakes, in the past, hired their in-house landscape crew without checking for legality. Last year, in compliance with the new law, they fired those who were illegal. In the hiring process the only applicants were Hispanics. Not all of them speak good English.

My Hispanic father in law came to this country legally many years ago, and he never learned to speak good English. He and I could only communicate with a few words, and unfortunately he died within a year of our marriage, so I never got to spend a lot of time with him.

He worked at the Ford plant for many years but lived in a predominately Hispanic area and only hung out with Hispanic friends and they all spoke in Spanish.

The same thing happens today. I use a Hispanic lady (who has a green card) to do some cleaning of my properties, and she doesn't speak English. Her 10 year old daughter and her boy friend translate for her, so it allows her to be lazy as far as learning the language.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:09 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,695,475 times
It's a damn shame no one takes personal responsibility anymore. I was doing yard labor and house cleaning since age 8. Everyone has to be insured and you have to watch out for being sued. It's stupid. It would be funny to see this country go into a bad depression and people wanting to do labor, oh you are not insured we can't help you.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:51 AM

49 posts, read 159,290 times
We are in the same situation. We need help moving from Surprise to Goodyear and just need some strong bodies. So far the quotes I have received are $700-900. Huh? Really? To move a 2000 sq ft house of stuff half an hour away?? When I choked at the 900, one guy said he and a buddy would do it for $500 if we paid for the truck ourselves. That would be roughly $100 an hour for 2 guys.

I am going to keep looking... any recommendations on reputable movers who do not cost a bunch?

Old 06-29-2009, 09:10 AM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,075 times
what ever happened to the temp agency called " Man power " ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area