Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 07:34 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
My opinion is this: when you are young, you should take the opportunity to live in a city like NY, SF, Chicago, Boston, Seattle etc. I think you will learn a lot and it's a wonderful experience. However, when it comes time to settling down, I would examine cities like Phoenix, Denver, Dallas, Houston, LA...even Chicago suburbs. SF isn't a city you want to live in if you are raising a family. My wife and I are anticipating twins and I'm so glad I live in Phoenix. I couldn't imagine having to raise a set of twins living in San Francisco. Sorry I'm not Bob Saget and I don't have Uncle Joey and Uncle Jesse living with me. Maybe if they were available as free nannies and I worked as a Broadcaster working 20 hours a week, i would consider it. Your lifestyle and quality of life would suffer incredibily if you lived in SF unless you were a celebrity who made a lot of money and simultaneously had a lot of free time aka Actor/Actress/Musician/Trust Fund Baby. For the other 99.9 percent of us, that doesn't apply.

This isn't to say that Phoenix lacks a vibrant night life and singles scene because it has that but I think living in a city like NY or SF for 2-3 years is a good idea if you are young, single and lack any real responsibility. But I would never settle down in those cities. If I want fun nightlife and shows, I can fly to NY for a weekend and stay at the best hotel and dine at the best restaurants and get my fill and then come back to Phoenix and enjoy day to day great quality of living. I don't want to live in a prison cell called a 800 sq ft apartment and take public transport and just have basic everyday living activities be harder because I want to feel cool and live in an urban area. No thanks
I guess it's a matter of taste, where I lived in San Francisco was great for raising a family, I love Muni and Bart, and my Apartment was 2,200 sq ft.
Phoenix for me was a bunch of cranky old people who didn't know where anything was. You had to drive if you needed a quart of milk or loaf of bread. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford to buy there so I'll be in Arizona because I can afford it

Old 07-21-2009, 07:48 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,452,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I guess it's a matter of taste, where I lived in San Francisco was great for raising a family, I love Muni and Bart, and my Apartment was 2,200 sq ft.
Phoenix for me was a bunch of cranky old people who didn't know where anything was. You had to drive if you needed a quart of milk or loaf of bread. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford to buy there so I'll be in Arizona because I can afford it
Time to retire the stereotypes.

San Francisco median age: 36.5

Phoenix median age: 30.7

San Francisco actually has one of the oldest populations among major U.S. cities; Phoenix has one of the youngest.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:52 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,696,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Maybe the climate of northern California, but southern California can not be beat climate wise. San Francisco is nice, but San Diego is always were I wanted to live, even much more so than Vegas. I tried to move there back in 1995, and quickly had a reality check with the cost of living expenses. But, I cannot understand how anyone who is successful would chose Phoenix over San Diego. You have the ocean, 75 degree highs in July, and beautiful winters.
Yes, but weather isn't everything. It does not matter how nice the weather is if you have to struggle to make ends meet. And besides, the PHX summers don't last the whole year. San Diego weather is boring because it is the same year round with ZERO change, yuck! I'd rather have 100 plus degree weather for 5 months instead of the same weather all the time. I'm not the biggest fan of heat but the San Diego climate wouldn't do it for me. I'd rather live in Seattle than San Diego. And San Diego's cost of living is high so PHX is still a better place to live and raise a family.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:59 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,982,834 times
Quote:
It is amazing to me how vehemently the people in Phoenix have to defend their town, like they have something to prove.
My reaction as well, but when you think about it, ask yourself under what circumstances people typically get the most defensive, then the answer becomes clear.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:04 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
Gay Pete is lovin' this...

6 pages of y'all defending your town.

I'd bet Pete ain't even gay. not there's anything wrong with that..
Bein' gay, I mean....
Peace.

Trolls still hate me. thanks, Bydand.

FYI.

Bydand is the resident troll seeker on the Michigan board...

BTW, I love feeniks....

Old 07-21-2009, 08:09 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,625,437 times
If you could make the Los Angeles area like it was in the 1950's, I would be still living there at Wilshire and Virgil; however, LA is the pits now and there is no place like Phoenix, even with its problems.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:11 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
Yes, but weather isn't everything. It does not matter how nice the weather is if you have to struggle to make ends meet. And besides, the PHX summers don't last the whole year. San Diego weather is boring because it is the same year round with ZERO change, yuck! I'd rather have 100 plus degree weather for 5 months instead of the same weather all the time. I'm not the biggest fan of heat but the San Diego climate wouldn't do it for me. I'd rather live in Seattle than San Diego. And San Diego's cost of living is high so PHX is still a better place to live and raise a family.
I understand what you are saying. I personally like a more temperate climate where it is comfortable year round. I love Vegas, but I am not happy with the weather here either. It gets way too damn cold in the winter, and way too hot in the summer. I tried Seattle too back in 1995. I found it to be a very beautiful city, but I hate the rain, so I was out of there quick. I like San Diego overall, but as I said I would not make it with the low paying jobs I can get. But, if I was a lawyer or Doctor, I would be living in San Diego or Oceanside, Ca.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:12 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
My reaction as well, but when you think about it, ask yourself under what circumstances people typically get the most defensive, then the answer becomes clear.
agreed

Old 07-21-2009, 08:17 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Quote:
agreed
Ahhhh.... Can you feel the love tonight?

Old 07-21-2009, 08:19 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
I have been to phoenix as well & i dont think much of it. The weather from april-oct is horrid & the nights are too warm. If i was to move to az it would be Flagstaff. At least in az its cheaper to live then over priced San Francisco & lets not forget SF welcomes illegal alians & has a "freak" for a mayor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area