Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 02:27 AM

919 posts, read 3,395,544 times

Advertisements

Many of the newer, high end steak places in PHX are located at hotel/resorts. Why not a major retail destination? From a business perspective, you want to put your products near masses of people in a spending mood. This is a proven, 4 season destination for locals and travelers. It makes great sense.

Initially I thought the idea was absurd. However I know see the restaurant isn't uber expensive... the author simply highlighted the highest price menu item. And it's not in the food court of the mall, next to Hot Dog on Stick, but part of the Barney's addition. Location-wise, it's not that different than many of the 4 star Vegas restaurants that are part of a retail/entertainment mix.

That noted item, by the way, is an Akaushi (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/MYSA122607_01A_akaushibeef_2600171_html11458.html - broken link) steak, which is considered by some to be the best variety of beef one can buy in the world. I'm not even sure it's available in Arizona outside of this venture. So in a way, we're really not debating their offering versus a T-bone from Frys or Black Angus or a prime piece from Durants. This is a steak you'd be pressed to find anywhere. For serious steak lovers, it might actually be a destination eating place, which just happens to be in a retail center. But I leave it to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 03:06 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,417,073 times
I work at a hotel in Old Town, we often refer people to these type of restaurants, when we ask people how much they're looking to spend they often say it's not an issue.

The perk is that we go to these restaurants, name drop where we work, and get VERY good discounts.

I am hoping to try this steak without paying $78.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:23 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,208,622 times
Quote:
Have you been to a "Fresh & Easy"? I've been hearing about there move to the USA for years. Wondering what their prepared foods are like?
bongofury, your question may get more answers if you start a new post since this sort of is off the topic of this post. But that said, IMHO I don't particularly care for the few things I've tried from Fresh & Easy. I far prefer Trader Joe's and Whole Foods for prepared items. I was at TJ's yesterday, and they were sampling a bbq brisket with baked beans. I liked it and actually bought it. (Along with the maple-filled cookies which I REALLY needed and definitely like lol!) It does appear TJ's is either starting to carry more "pre-prepared" heat & eat kind of stuff than it has been, or just moved it from another location in the store and I simply wasn't paying attention. A good portion of the case where the prepared salads and sandwiches and pizza dough were is now heat & eat stuff. And no $78 steaks in sight lol!

Old 11-01-2009, 07:48 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,570,002 times
I think I've seen some Fresh & Easy stores somewhere in the South Bay part of LA. Never been in one yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongofury View Post
I love TJ's (but my how their prices have rose since the good old days). Been a TJ's fan since my wife worked at their store in Atwater/Silverlake area of LA. Have you been to a "Fresh & Easy"? I've been hearing about there move to the USA for years. Wondering what their prepared foods are like?

Old 11-01-2009, 08:04 PM

691 posts, read 2,328,899 times
Well, it makes sense, after all, the mall is where people are. Probably got a pretty good deal on rent, stores are not doing too well right now, but restaurants will always do okay, even in worse econonmic times. Also, it is a destination place, so women could shop all day, and have men meet them there for dinner.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:29 AM

172 posts, read 422,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kek1993 View Post
Well, it makes sense, after all, the mall is where people are. Probably got a pretty good deal on rent, stores are not doing too well right now, but restaurants will always do okay, even in worse economic times. Also, it is a destination place, so women could shop all day, and have men meet them there for dinner.
You think? I see many examples to the contrary and 2010 is likely to be more of the same (or worse) economically. Many malls are/have shut down. Many people are/have cut back on their spending. When mall anchor stores talk of closures and poor sales the survival of the whole mall is threatened. These times demonstrate how most of America shops now. Wal Mart is a perfect example of the new America. The illusion of buying local with the actuality of buying third world. America is no longer the top notch have it all, we are the free market buying cheap from communism. Where will we be when things pickup in the future? I'm thinking we the American middle-class will be changed profoundly from our experiences with this economic downturn as it's become so protracted, and one consequence will be some old consumer models will no longer be valid. It's to depressing to think we will have learned nothing and will try to return to our old ways of consuming. Will the young learn from the mistakes of their parents?

Old 11-02-2009, 06:41 AM

557 posts, read 1,675,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
I wouldn't pay $78 for a steak though, I can grill up a steak myself better than most restaurants, some poeple just don't understand the difference between medium and medium rare.
I never order steak anymore when I go to a nice restaurant. That's because I've never had a restaurant steak that comes remotely close to the ones I do at home. You can get beautiful Angus filets at Sams for under $9/pound, and when prepared and grilled correctly, over charcoal or mesquite, no restaurant can compete. Plus, there's just something really fun about working the grill!!

Old 11-02-2009, 07:06 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,125,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Malls are destinations for spending on new shoes, jeans and purses.

But now Valley residents are asking themselves if they're ready to go to the mall for a $78 steak and a fancy cocktail.

Modern Steak opens today at Scottsdale Fashion Square with all the opulence of a high-end steakhouse - mirrored ceilings, glittering chandeliers and even a concierge desk. There are cozy leather booths for canoodling couples

Newest hot spot for a $78 steak: A shopping mall
Give me McDonalds, over that, anytime!!!

Old 11-02-2009, 08:12 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,417,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsherman9901 View Post
I never order steak anymore when I go to a nice restaurant. That's because I've never had a restaurant steak that comes remotely close to the ones I do at home. You can get beautiful Angus filets at Sams for under $9/pound, and when prepared and grilled correctly, over charcoal or mesquite, no restaurant can compete. Plus, there's just something really fun about working the grill!!
If you check out Fry's grocery, they put all their meat that is about to exprie on "Managers Special" and I have been consitently getting Sirloins and other higher quality cuts for around $4-5/lb.

For me and my fiance, two large sirloins or ribeyes is usually enough, and I have yet to find a restaurant that can make a steak the way I like it. I prefer a good medium to medium rare, if it's cooked correctly. I love seeing the blood boil up to the top in the steaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area