Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 11:28 AM

253 posts, read 376,581 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if anyone else has been following this story and what your thoughts are. The auction brings in over $94 million to the Scottsdale economy each year (not even counting the money spent at the auction itself), which is far more money than the FBR Open brings in ... yet Scottsdale has finally infuriated Craig Jackson to the point where he announced this week that he's pulling out of Scottsdale and moving the event to Vegas.

I don't live there anymore so it's not a big deal to me at this point, though I was looking forward to going every year along with friends who live in the area, who go religiously. I'm not a big fan of Vegas and it's a lot colder there in January, but at least they don't get the rain that has put a damper on the event in recent years.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:53 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
I figured it would move sometime. Scottsdale always struck me as an odd place to hold such an event. Moving it to Vegas seems like a smart move if you think about it.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:22 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,168,409 times
I heard this morning that it wasn't final yet. That they may make the Scottsdale one smaller this year and have a larger one in Vegas. They want to construct buildings at West World instead of using tents, or they may sell parts of it to BJ.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:23 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,168,409 times
Why is Scottsdale a weird place? There are tons of car enthusiasts here in Scottsdale that go to it. Vegas, to me, seems weird.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:40 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
There are TONS of car enthuisiasts everywhere, not just in Scottsdale. ;-) Obviously.

Scottsdale itself isnt weird, its the area they hold the show in thats weird. Its dusty, etc. Not exactly a place Id want to roll an original 65 Shelby Daytona coupe if you know what I mean....

Holding the show in Vegas is not weird at all. Its a gathering place for all different kinds of shows (hot rod, rat rod, import, etc). Not only that, but its the biggest convention city in the world, and there is lots more to do in Vegas than Scottsdale. Vegas has all the glitter that will make the environment more exciting. Moving the show to NV makes perfect sense to me.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:14 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,607,287 times
Vegas is a hot dusty town as well...So that cannot be the reason.

Vegas is already the home of SEMA. And like someone said, Vegas is the biggest convention city in the world. The whole Vegas area just offers more in terms of entertainment. More high rollers might actually go to Vegas and do the bidding themselves...as opposed to having people represent them in Scottsdale.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:22 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Well, the latest is that they (Scottsdale and BJ) are again talking. Sounds like the usual tactic developers, sports moguls and now, used car salesmen, use to wrest money from the taxpayers to fund their business ventures.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:20 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,701,216 times
I heard that it wasn't final, hopefully Scottsdale will be able to hold onto it. I've gone every year since I've been down here and I don't care for the idea of flying up to Vegas each year to see it. But as I won't reside in Scottsdale in 2 years, I'd have to fly anyway no matter where it was held.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:44 AM

253 posts, read 376,581 times
The one problem about Vegas is that it's COLD in January. I lived there a few years before I moved to Phoenix, and, believe me, it's COLD by comparison. High temps in January are around 50 daytime with lows in the 20s at night. But on the other hand, it doesn't rain ... B-J got rained on 2 of the last 4 years I've been there.

I suppose if they had it at the Las Vegas Convention Center it'd be indoors, so the weather would not be an issue.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:12 PM

172 posts, read 609,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevercoldcall View Post
The one problem about Vegas is that it's COLD in January. I lived there a few years before I moved to Phoenix, and, believe me, it's COLD by comparison. High temps in January are around 50 daytime with lows in the 20s at night.....
Really? Where abouts in the Valley did you live, cause I do know that the average high at McCarran is in the mid to upper 50's with lows in the mid to upper 30's.....so that is cold by comparrison to Phoenix, but not as cold ON AVERAGE as you seem to be making it out to be, unless you lived in the west part of the Valley, i.e Summerlin, Lone Mountain, down in Rhodes Ranch....which are at a higher elevation (in some areas by 1,000 feet) than the Strip, I can see it being that cool there. Anyways, I think either location is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area