Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 09:05 AM

2 posts, read 22,879 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm thinking about moving to Gilbert, East of Val Vista, North of Ray and there is a railroad that cuts diagnally through the neighboorhood. It is owed by Union Pacific and I know it's active. I was wondering how often the train runs and if it blows the horn? I don't mind the rumbling noise, it's the horn that wakes me up. Right now I live in Queen Creek south of Johnson Ranch just 1/8 of a mile from the tracks here and I can't sleep with the window open because of the horn, other than that it doesn't bother me. So any thoughts about the horn noise, # of times per day the train goes by, and the neighboorhood itself would be helpful. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 09:42 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,294,291 times
I live not too far from the train and i've seen it several times. My guess is that a train goes through at least once a day. I don't think i've ever heard the horn blow, but you can still hear it going by.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:02 AM

2 posts, read 22,879 times
Thanks. I know it crosses the road at Val Vista south of Warner and was wondering if it blows the horn for that intersection as I can't find any info on quiet zones.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:34 PM

80 posts, read 289,265 times
I live near Val Vista and Greenfield and we do hear the horn of the train. We do not hear the rumble of the train going by (too far away I think) but we do hear the horn. It is going to depend on just how far you are from the tracks as to how loud it is. It goes right next to the Western Skies Golf community and I think it might be pretty loud over there. We hear it, but it is not too objectionable. Usually it goes by more than once a day. Quite often it goes by about 5 in the morning and then again a little later. Knowing now about the train, I would still buy our house here. Love the location. We also get some noise from the Gateway airport, kind of a dull roar from the bigger jets. Again, not too bad and it would not stop me from buying here.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:42 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,777,192 times
The area north of the tracks around Greenfield/Higley and Ray Road have very popular communities. South of the tracks there are nice homes also, but the Agritopia community on the north side is one of the more popular communities.

I have two clients that are buying in Agritopia now. One has a cottage there and is buying a larger home. They love the area and said they hardly even notice the train anymore. Every homeowner that I've spoken with in that area say the same thing.

My house is near Guadalupe and Val Vista, and if I'm in my home office at 6am, I'll sometimes very faintly hear the horn. I'm told that it goes by from 3 to 4 times a day, but the only time at night that I'm aware of is the approximately 6am train, and I don't think that goes every day.

There probably is not a quiet zone anywhere. I believe they are required to blow the horn as they're approaching street crossings.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:03 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,955,153 times
I live in that area as well. I was concerned about the train when I bought here but it's really a non-factor for us. My bedroom window faces the track and we have slept with the window open and that train goes by several times in one night and I don't even notice it.

If anything I was more annoyed with the noise from the planes when I lived over on Guadalupe and Power.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:47 PM

643 posts, read 1,393,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
The area north of the tracks around Greenfield/Higley and Ray Road have very popular communities. South of the tracks there are nice homes also, but the Agritopia community on the north side is one of the more popular communities.

I have two clients that are buying in Agritopia now. One has a cottage there and is buying a larger home. They love the area and said they hardly even notice the train anymore. Every homeowner that I've spoken with in that area say the same thing.

My house is near Guadalupe and Val Vista, and if I'm in my home office at 6am, I'll sometimes very faintly hear the horn. I'm told that it goes by from 3 to 4 times a day, but the only time at night that I'm aware of is the approximately 6am train, and I don't think that goes every day.

There probably is not a quiet zone anywhere. I believe they are required to blow the horn as they're approaching street crossings.
When I went to Buy a house my damn realtor talked me out of Agritopia because of the tracks. Should have fired the realtor because Agritopia is my fav neihborhood in the valley. Also said the lake at val vista lakes stinks

Old 12-13-2009, 06:25 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,777,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpresley View Post
When I went to Buy a house my damn realtor talked me out of Agritopia because of the tracks. Should have fired the realtor because Agritopia is my fav neihborhood in the valley. Also said the lake at val vista lakes stinks
That's unfortunate. I live in Val Vist Lakes, on the lake, and I can assure you that the lake does not stink. And we just won another award for best community.

Agritopia has the reputation of being a fairly close knit, friendly, and safe community. Many people like the 1940's type house exterior's, and the interiors are all modern of course. I like the Farm Grill there because of the hamburgers and milk shakes.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:10 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,516,977 times
I used to live by a (much busier) Union Pacific main line near Tucson. One gets used to the noise very quickly.

"I like the Farm Grill there because of the hamburgers and milk shakes."

Joe's Farm Grill is great!

"I live in Val Vist Lakes, on the lake.... And we just won another award for best community."

Is that from the Ranking Arizona poll?

Old 12-13-2009, 11:28 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,057,239 times
I live near an intersection in Gilbert where the train crosses two main streets, so, it blows the horn twice. If it's the time of the year when you can leave your windows open, it can sound very loud. But, that's not very often. I can go a couple of months without hearing it at all. Unless the home backs to the tracks, I wouldn't let it stop you from buying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area