Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 08:59 AM

1,707 posts, read 4,342,135 times
Of course this morning is one of those times the commute from CG into Phoenix is REAAALLY bad! (Bus crash with 6 dead and 15 injured WB on I 10).

When there is a bad crash on this portion of I 10 there is not alot of options.

Sad for the loss of life too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 06:05 PM

725 posts, read 2,322,450 times
Widening I-10 would help the travel time!!!!!!

I mean, it's a wide Freeway once you get past the south leg of the Loop 202 Interchange but south of there is only 2 lanes in each direction all the way to Casa Grande.

Yeah, I know - the State doesn't have the moola right now. They could have widened this stretch when there was $$$ available!!!!!

Old 03-05-2010, 07:33 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,342,135 times
Yeah, I was surprised they chose to widen to 3+ lanes from south of Eloy to Tucson (which they just recently completed). before doing the stretch from CG to Phoenix. I hear the theory has to do more with the amount of interstate travel rather than daily commute. But sure seems like it woulda made more sense to do the north stretch first. The fact its all on the GRIC land may have played a role also.

But I agree homlish!

Old 03-06-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
Yeah, I was surprised they chose to widen to 3+ lanes from south of Eloy to Tucson (which they just recently completed). before doing the stretch from CG to Phoenix. I hear the theory has to do more with the amount of interstate travel rather than daily commute. But sure seems like it woulda made more sense to do the north stretch first. The fact its all on the GRIC land may have played a role also.

But I agree homlish!
I read that they're planning to make all of I-10 3+ lanes in each direction from Phoenix to Tucson someday. Can't see that happening anytime soon when the State can't even balance the Budget!!!!!!!

Old 03-07-2010, 11:07 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homlish560 View Post
Widening I-10 would help the travel time!!!!!!

I mean, it's a wide Freeway once you get past the south leg of the Loop 202 Interchange but south of there is only 2 lanes in each direction all the way to Casa Grande.

Yeah, I know - the State doesn't have the moola right now. They could have widened this stretch when there was $$$ available!!!!!
That's ADOT for you! Regardless if they have money available for road projects, they will usually claim that there is not enough funding for freeway improvements, or new highways. You weren't here in the '80s when 231 miles of new freeways were promised to us after we passed a half cent sales tax increase. Nearly 25 years later, we're left with a scaled back system, and about half of what was initially proposed.

There are a few people I work with who live in Casa Grande & Maricopa, and make that long commute into the SE Valley every day. If those two communities keep growing, then the I10 between Chandler and Casa Grande will become bottlenecked (even if I10 is eventually widended).

Old 03-09-2010, 09:55 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
That's ADOT for you! Regardless if they have money available for road projects, they will usually claim that there is not enough funding for freeway improvements, or new highways. You weren't here in the '80s when 231 miles of new freeways were promised to us after we passed a half cent sales tax increase. Nearly 25 years later, we're left with a scaled back system, and about half of what was initially proposed.

There are a few people I work with who live in Casa Grande & Maricopa, and make that long commute into the SE Valley every day. If those two communities keep growing, then the I10 between Chandler and Casa Grande will become bottlenecked (even if I10 is eventually widended).
There's just nothing in the state's budget for any highway expansion right now.

It disappoints me as much as you and everyone else, I was looking forward to the new freeway loops planned for the southwest valley.

The ultraconservative knuckleheads in the legislature are too busy closing down state parks and cutting back on healthcare and education funding right now. Transportation enhancements are on the back burner.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
There's just nothing in the state's budget for any highway expansion right now.

It disappoints me as much as you and everyone else, I was looking forward to the new freeway loops planned for the southwest valley.

The ultraconservative knuckleheads in the legislature are too busy closing down state parks and cutting back on healthcare and education funding right now. Transportation enhancements are on the back burner.
Totally agree about this Budget mess!!!!!!!

The point about I-10 and the funds is that the State could've widened that section from Chandler to Casa Grande to at least 3 or 4 Lanes in each direction back when the $$$ was available.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:37 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,765,229 times
Mod Cut: Orphaned. If your wife commutes to Tuscon and the OP travels to Phoenix reality is they will rarely see each other. This could take a toll on a marriage.

Last edited by Grannysroost; 03-10-2010 at 04:22 PM..

Old 03-11-2010, 12:00 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homlish560 View Post
Totally agree about this Budget mess!!!!!!!

The point about I-10 and the funds is that the State could've widened that section from Chandler to Casa Grande to at least 3 or 4 Lanes in each direction back when the $$$ was available.
No arguments there.

I'm just saying that we can thank the clownery of the state government for being unable to perform basic functions now like road widening, improving education, or keeping parks open.

Hopefully this embarrassing stupidity will be short-lived, Election 2010 is coming up soon.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:33 AM

641 posts, read 2,366,643 times
My husband was on his way to work and saw that bus accident. Very very sad. It delayed him an hour getting to work . We have seen a lot living off the I-10. Saw the Semi that had caught on fire and turned over not long ago. It seems rite here around the CG area, there is always something . Then there was that bad accident from the dust storm. I saw stagnant traffic, and turned around in the center dirt, just in time.

They do happen, but my husband has only been late in the last year twice as a result. We live in Arizona city and he works on 75th ave and Buckey . It takes him an hour and half each way.
Now just going to Chandler, or Mesa takes me 45 min.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area