Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 08:07 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyboy1225 View Post
depends on where you are from? I am from chicago and to me scottsdale is small time and their malls are nothing compared to malls here, IMO. Not downtalking scottsdale at all. If you are from small town w/ no nightlife, it'll seem like that but if you are from bigger town like chicago, ny, la, miami, boston even, its really nothing at all.
Scottsdale Fashion Square is the largest shopping mall in Arizona and the American Southwest, with approximately 2 million square feet (180,000 m²) of retail space, and is among the top 30 largest malls in the country.[1] It is one of the top 10 most profitable malls in the country with over $740 sales per square foot, more than $400 over the national average.[2][3] The mall is located on the northwest corner of Scottsdale Road and Camelback Road in Scottsdale, Arizona and has been owned by Westcor, a subsidiary of Macerich, since 2002. [4] With the explosion of new retail developments and dining options in the nearby vicinity, the term Scottsdale Fashion Square has become more generalized in recent years to include the retail shopping districts adjacent to the complex, including the Scottsdale Waterfront and Southbridge.

Compared to Chicago suburbs:

Woodfield mall in Schaumburg is bigger, but less upscale.

Oak Brook Center is smaller but about as upscale.

List of largest shopping malls in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you don't count the magnificent mile on Michigan Ave. Woodfield is a little bigger and thats it.

I guess the argument is stupid. But I "Chicago is the center of the universe" attitude is most annoying and ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 05:10 PM

725 posts, read 2,322,642 times
Scottsdale is pretty big and diverse. Seems to be mostly Downtown that gets the Bar-hoppers, Clubbers, and Fashionistas. Take out Waterfront, Fashion Square, and Old Town and what have ya got---------
Just an upper Middle-class Suburb!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-26-2010, 07:11 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmadsen26 View Post
Hello all,

I have read lots of posts here and around the web about scottsdale; even a travel book I picked out didn't stop mentioning that people in Scottsdale focus on drinking, going out, and showing off their new clothes....

I & my boyfriend are hoping to move to AZ this summer. He should be getting a job at one of the resorts out there and I do office work/contracting/etc. (or rather, I'm have a MA and am like most people in this country with little experience - job hunting).

Anyways, we want to know if there are down-to-earth people too (I know the general sense there are everywhere..). What I mean is, would we be "weird" to be homebodies, cook at home, and not really care if we're shopping at Bebe? Are there any low cost shopping areas, coffee shops, and dining areas in Scottsdale.. p.s. we're going to be renting, don't want a long commute, and have seen a few places <$800 month.

As always - thanks for your input!
Honestly, you don't really see the faux Scottsdale elitist mentality until you go out. You won't see it in the day unless you are at Fashion Square. Scottsdale has plenty of wealthy snowbirds as well who stay indoors.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:58 PM

123 posts, read 354,393 times
That's true, Azriverfan. The 'snotty' attitude is really only seen while out at nightclubs and bars in Scottsdale. Out and about during the day, most people are in shorts and very laid back.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:47 AM

725 posts, read 2,322,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB90 View Post
That's true, Azriverfan. The 'snotty' attitude is really only seen while out at nightclubs and bars in Scottsdale. Out and about during the day, most people are in shorts and very laid back.
Even in the Scottsdale Club and Bar scene there isn't much snobbery - just people trying to look good to attract others and have a good time!!!!!!

Old 04-26-2010, 02:38 PM

930 posts, read 2,423,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyboy1225 View Post
depends on where you are from? I am from chicago and to me scottsdale is small time and their malls are nothing compared to malls here, IMO. Not downtalking scottsdale at all. If you are from small town w/ no nightlife, it'll seem like that but if you are from bigger town like chicago, ny, la, miami, boston even, its really nothing at all.
Wow. Sounds like Chicago is big time. Impressive.

But we have wayyyyyy better looking women (said while pointing and laughing at you)

Old 06-08-2010, 01:20 PM

18 posts, read 70,994 times
I just got back from visiting a gorgeous blonde chick in Scottsdale this past weekend and I thought it sucked. Here are my pros and cons:

Pros:
-Nice little luxury shopping mall. (Fashion square or something like that?) But I wouldn't care to shop there again.
-Good Restaurants: I was suprised to find a great seafood restaurant in the middle of the freaking desert.
-Weather: The hotness took quite a bit of getting used to. But I think I can manage living in desert temperatures after few weeks.
-Hot tanned chicks: Wow! They obviously work hard to be "seen" as compared to the east coast...especially in the DC area.
-Beautiful homes: Ok people obviously have money in North Scottsdale!

Cons:
Mod Cut: No city-vs-city bashing
-2nd rate clubs: Boring! Few pretty night clubs at this bar district (forgot the name of it) had few outdoor patios hre and there. Obviously, lot of young people there weren't done with the college bar scene.
-Hot tanned chicks: They can be considered cons for their materialisticness (if thats a word) and snobbiness. But that was expected anyway.
-Boring: Even though Scottsdale is a very safe area outside Phoenix with the normal luxury shopping and restaurant experiences- I really can't imagine an energentic city slicker from the east coast enjoying living here without desperately seeking new things to do.

Not to **** anyone from Scottsdale off. Just giving my two cents!

Thank you

Last edited by Grannysroost; 06-09-2010 at 10:21 AM..

Old 06-08-2010, 01:25 PM

18 posts, read 70,994 times
Oh by the way.... WTF is up with so many New York Yankees fans in the Phoenix/Scottsdale areas????? Are they transplants??

Maybe it's just me, I dunno but saw a Yankee hat from men of all ages every few hours.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:12 AM

257 posts, read 491,660 times
sounds about right to me. Yes there are alot of transplant Mod cut from NY and CHI

Last edited by Grannysroost; 06-09-2010 at 10:21 AM..

Old 06-09-2010, 10:17 AM

40 posts, read 131,454 times
I still love how they all tell you how much better Chicago and NY are than Phoenix....but non of them live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area