Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
East Valley 124 69.27%
West Valley 55 30.73%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 10:24 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times

Advertisements

it's definitely a silly arguement

and ASU fan - there is no "real" development on the SW corner of cotton & yuma at this time - there is some just starting to get built, but the newest thing is the LA fitness which has been around for about 6 months now - fresh & easy has submitted plans to build on the lot, but right now it's pretty much a field with a beat up old moose lodge and and LA Fitness

i'm sure there could be a tag or two, but they will be cleaned up pretty quickly .... you make it sound like the area looks like an 80s subway train rolling through NYC - this is far from the case .... I can say for a fact that there is zero graffiti in the entire safeway plaza up through the walmart on estrella - I looked this morning after getting gas .... they are starting to fill up the plaza though

I also agree that this is pretty silly - the whole "East & West" thing goes back to before there was much growth outward .... back when central avenue actually meant something

now you can't even really have just an east side or a west side - western phoenix is different in feel from surprise, which is different than NW metro, which is different than the SW valley, which is different than buckeye, which is different than the area out by lake pleasant which is different than laveen

I like the SW valley because it's very easy to get around, I have most everything I need in my backyard and there is very little traffic, I like how quiet it is

to each their own though

Old 03-30-2010, 10:39 AM

2 posts, read 5,775 times
I live in the West Valley and I really love it here. I admit, I don't go the East Valley much, but when I do, I found it less appealing. Although it is true that most things happening are in the East Valley and since I am looking for work, most of the companies I see hiring are in the East Valley too. So I will probably be commuting on both sides.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:59 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. The West Side has come along way and I can honestly say there are many nice areas on the West Side but if you are comparing it to the East Valley, how can anyone argue it offers more or has more to do. That's a joke of a statement. Nothing could further from the truth. You are going to compare Glendale, Goodyear, Peoria and Surprise to Scottsdale, Tempe, Chandler and Gilbert? There is no competition. The best nightlife in the valley is in Scottsdale. Tempe has ASU and Mill Avenue. Chandler has all of the technology companies. Gilbert was the fastest growing city in the country at one point. The West Side was associated with Gangs and Rednecks for the longest time until Arrowhead developed in the early 2000's and they built Westgate and added the stadiums. Even today, there are still redneck/gang references to the West Side and people will mockingly pronounce it as West Siiiiiide whenever something funny occurs in the west side; it's used to allude to to the old reputation of the west side and it's redneck and gangbanger culture. And even with this development, most of the crime in the valley is in the West Side. There is a lot of meth on the west side. Watch the news, and most shootings are on the west side. Goodyear just had a huge meth ring bust. A lot of kidnapping drop houses are on the West Side. The West Side is constantly developing and improving but saying it offers more than the East Valley....sorry but the West Side has a long way to go before it can make that claim and that's not a slam against the West Side, it's just the truth.

I've lived in both areas and I have fond memories of the West Side. There are some great places to eat but I will NEVER live there again. Let me give you an example of the West Side mentality. I was having lunch with friends at Arriba 5 years ago. One of our friends is known to be loud and curses. This guy sitting behind us comes to our table, slams his fists on our tables and says "Can you F sticks keep it down, I have 3 month old baby and you F...ers need to shut the F up and quit your cursing" This guy had a mullet and apparently worked for the fire dept there. He was right but there are countless other ways he could have told us to keep it down. We would have gladly done so but this guy decides to come out of nowhere and slam his fists on our table. Here is another example. One of my kids is a vegetarian so when we go to McDonalds, I'll order her a grilled cheese by asking for a cheeseburger w/out meat. Whenever we went to any McDonalds on the west side, they would always give us a hard time about ordering that. They would either laugh or not understand. Being in Chandler, we can orderthat and it's never an issue like it was in Arrowhead. That is totally West Side!!! I don't miss the lower sophistication of the west side. I also felt like service in restaurants was a lot worse there too.

I think there are exceptions. Surprise, Sun City and Sun City West felt pretty intelligent and laid back and reminded me of people in Chandler. Glendale, Peoria and Goodyear, however are another thing entirely.
We live in north Peoria and love it up here in the foothills. Our neighbors are doctors, lawyers, nurses, engineers etc. I don't consider it low in intellegence by any stretch. I can't speak for southern Peoria as I do not go there for any reason. Goodyear is coming along and will be a very nice city in time. Surprise has pockets of ugly like all cities, but has a lot to offer entry level buyers right now. It will also become a beautiful city in time. Glendale, other than Arrowhead Rnc, does not float my boat at all. I would move to Chandler tomorrow and be just as happy. So there is good and bad in all sections.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:11 AM
zox

344 posts, read 479,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
You got it. The east is in decay - the west will rule the day. It's like China and the US. Overall, though, I think this is a silly argument - east vs west.
If this is a silly argument then why did you contribute to it? I believe you have used the term decay not once but twice to describe the east valley. Are you saying you have made silly arguments? Despite the growth in China, you do recognize China is a third world country. Are you suggesting the west valley is third world compared to the east valley? I don't live in either the east or west valley. I live in Phoenix. I am interested in moving out of Phoenix and have researched both parts of the valley extensively. I have no reason to dislike the west valley. I am just reporting my findings as an objective observer. I can't logically find a reason why one would move to the west valley over the east valley unless money is a factor and one prefers a newer home at much lower cost. Based on my findings there is nothing the west valley offers that the east valley doesn't already offer or expand upon with the exception of the two stadiums. I researched jobs, education, dining, shopping, proximity to central Phoenix, outdoor activities and culture and the east valley superceded the west valley in all of these categories. I can afford to live in the east valley so why would I choose to live in the west valley? If there is something about the west valley that I'm unaware of or I'm missing in my analysis, let me know and I will look into it. I still haven't finalized my decision.

Last edited by zox; 03-30-2010 at 11:21 AM..

Old 03-30-2010, 11:21 AM

better access to sports, just as good access to downtown theater, generally better access to concerts, great proximity to parks, great freeway access to points westward, less congestion

it wont last forever, but there is still a quiet feel through a lot of it

not to say that the east valley doesn't have things for families, parks access, etc ...... however, if you live in surprise the community waterpark and tennis center is pretty cool, if you live in the SW valley it's nice having both the estrella mountain park and white tanks park along with the tres rios area in your backyard if you are into such things

I don't think i'd live out here if I was younger and single - but as a guy with a wife and a newborn entering my 30s it's a really good fit

Old 03-30-2010, 11:34 AM
zox

344 posts, read 479,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
better access to sports, just as good access to downtown theater, generally better access to concerts, great proximity to parks, great freeway access to points westward, less congestion it wont last forever, but there is still a quiet feel through a lot of it not to say that the east valley doesn't have things for families, parks access, etc ...... however, if you live in surprise the community waterpark and tennis center is pretty cool, if you live in the SW valley it's nice having both the estrella mountain park and white tanks park along with the tres rios area in your backyard if you are into such things I don't think i'd live out here if I was younger and single - but as a guy with a wife and a newborn entering my 30s it's a really good fit
But what about those features can't be found in the east valley? There are quiet communities with less congestion there but with greater access to jobs, shopping and restaurants.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:48 AM

maybe for you

not for me - my job would be a slightly longer commute from the east valley - my wifes a lot longer

as stated, I love the shopping and restaurants available locally as well

when we travel to the east valley we have the opposite reaction as you - kind of a "why would someone pay more for this - it's pretty much the same stuff"

Old 03-30-2010, 12:01 PM

587 posts, read 1,420,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post
But what about those features can't be found in the east valley? There are quiet communities with less congestion there but with greater access to jobs, shopping and restaurants.
I don't know, it's just not the same. The entire area is quieter and less hustle & bustle (for now), not just communities here and there. Chandler is definitely not the same feel as Goodyear for me, as a whole. There is so much less traffic and just less people in general. I'm sure that will change and already has changed a lot. There were only 13,000 people in Goodyear when we moved there and now I think there's around 50,000-60,000 or so!

It's really just a personal preference thing. I don't really understand why so many people get so invested, personal and passionate about this argument.

I've lived on both sides of the valley, but prefer the SW area. Did I make the SW Valley what it is today? No, I just lived there. What do I care if more people choose the east valley and think it has more amenities? I don't. In fact, let them live over there so the SW Valley maintains what it has going on for a little while longer...

Old 03-30-2010, 12:16 PM

Pretty much. Regardless of the side you take on this ancient debate I don't understand the need to overinflate or deflate the place where you live.

If you're happy - great.

I'm very secure in my area and enjoy it. You do the same with yours as there are many great areas all over the metro.

This place is way too large to even paint quadrants of it with wide brushstrokes.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:01 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post
If you continue to read, you will note that ASU and U of A are involved in these discussions. Job creation isn't limited to companies. Universities employ people too. They also lead to further development surrounding the campus which leads to more job growth.
I am sorry, I was refering to companies that produce not those that are government, Education, or some other non productive entity that although yes they provide a job they also have a cost associated with that job. IE Taxes. What amount of additional growth will ASU and U of A bring to the table? Do they create some thing that brings in value to the area other than educating people? Remember that state run education is a subsidized situation that has a cost associated with it to the tax payer. It doesn't generate cash flow such as a business or corporation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area