Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2018, 05:55 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,742,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Sure, but the life expectancy was under age 50 and the quality of life was vastly inferior compared to what it is now. To this day, much of the SW would be virtually uninhabited if it wasn't for air conditioning. The proof of this is in the population growth. Phoenix had its highest percentage of growth after WWII when cooling systems became standard and more affordable. I would say that life without A/C can definitely be deadly. Most people can't survive four straight months of hellish heat with just water and shade ... especially the elderly.
Why wouldn't most people survive 4 months (June, July, August and September) with water and shade? Of course they could and would just as they did in the past. Elderly would of course struggle with this as they struggle with cold environs as well, but this is most people.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:40 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,305,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Yes. Pity the poor midwesterner out at the lake, picnicing, laying on the cool grass under a big shade tree. Sitting in a wooded park having a few beers and cooking bratwurst for the family. Or maybe playing a game of softball on a diamond with real grass. Maybe they went to a farmer's market or some local festival. Maybe they just stayed home and sat on the deck watching the kids play outside. Life is hard, back there. They can't ever know the joys of loading up the car and driving for 3 hours each way to find temperatures in the 90s.

Quote the Norman Rockwell painting you paint there.
You forgot to add swatting mosquitoes, gnats, and various other bugs that won't stop pestering you every time you step outside!

Old 06-01-2018, 10:22 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,633,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
It's going to be interesting to me to experience a summer here, although Sierra Vista is supposed to be cooler than Phoenix.

I moved here Sept 1 & so far am loving it. I visited in July & decided right then that this was it. I suppose I should have come in June but it wouldn't have mattered. Last summer was hardly even a summer in Minnesota. So many gray, cloudy days it was depressing. So experiencing the sun, heat & sunsets was wonderful.

When I think how hard the previous winter was on me, I really relished being here this past winter. I was housebound so often in Minnesota.

Yes, I enjoyed many aspects of Minnesota when I was younger. There's a lot to be said about living in a state with 10,000 lakes. But, now that I'm retired, I had enough of winter. Winters weren't so bad when I was into ice fishing but the energy to accomplish that was gone as I got older.

I will say that September was a bit on the warm side last year & I assume June will be warm, but it's pleasant mornings & evenings so expect that's when I'll be out. It will certainly be an experience.
Sierra Vista summer is like late April to mid May here temperature wise, one of the better climates in the state

Old 06-02-2018, 12:30 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,791,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
You are getting a little carried away with the need for AC. Needed to sustain life! People lived here for centuries before AC was invented. Pleasant, no? But deadly, not, though I suppose some weak individuals would succumb. Humans are well adapted to life in hot, dry climates. One can survive with ease with water and shade.
On two occasions I drove from Las Vegas,NV to El Paso,TX driving from the northwestern tip, to the southeastern tip of AZ crossing the entire state diagonal, what I noticed is, how desolate the vast areas are away from the metro areas. When I say desolate, I mean no sign of life, no brush, no cactus, nothing but dust, highway, and extremely hot, dry scorched land. The area reminded me of what the moon would look like if it had an atmosphere. The picturesque landscape of the painted dessert was nowhere to be found in many remote areas, all I could think of is, what a horrible area it would be to break down in 110°F temps.

Old 06-02-2018, 01:08 PM

277 posts, read 276,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
On two occasions I drove from Las Vegas,NV to El Paso,TX driving from the northwestern tip, to the southeastern tip of AZ crossing the entire state diagonal, what I noticed is, how desolate the vast areas are away from the metro areas. When I say desolate, I mean no sign of life, no brush, no cactus, nothing but dust, highway, and extremely hot, dry scorched land. The area reminded me of what the moon would look like if it had an atmosphere. The picturesque landscape of the painted dessert was nowhere to be found in many remote areas, all I could think of is, what a horrible area it would be to break down in 110°F temps.
That is absolute nonsense there is almost nowhere in arizona that is as desolate as you describe you are either exaggerating or lying.

Please link on google street view this are where here was “no sign of life” including no “brush”

Why would you even lie about something so easily countered ?

Old 06-02-2018, 01:18 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,633,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
That is absolute nonsense there is almost nowhere in arizona that is as desolate as you describe you are either exaggerating or lying.

Please link on google street view this are where here was “no sign of life” including no “brush”

Exactly, the only part of the state that looks anything close to that is the Colorado River Valley from San Luis up to Bullhead City

Old 06-02-2018, 02:26 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,281,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Why wouldn't most people survive 4 months (June, July, August and September) with water and shade? Of course they could and would just as they did in the past. Elderly would of course struggle with this as they struggle with cold environs as well, but this is most people.
Oh I'm sure a fair share of the population could survive (as in live through it), but would they be happy or miserable? Would they be healthy or sickly? Would their quality of life be anything close to what it is with A/C? Would they live to see their golden retirement years, or would they die at fairly young ages? These are things we need to take into consideration when we talk about survival.

Also, it's not just elderly people who would risk their lives in an environment without adequate cooling systems. There are plenty of others with health conditions who would find it difficult to live through one of our hellish summers with only water & shade as "comforts". I'm fairly healthy, but I get sick headaches whenever I'm outside for any length of time in the direct sun & 100+ degree temperatures. I couldn't imagine being stuck inside a hot house or car with no A/C. The heat takes a toll on a person's body in some shape or form.

Old 06-02-2018, 08:52 PM

39,093 posts, read 51,289,449 times
Quote:
Baloney! We live here and know better than this. The Sonoran desert is the most bio-diverse desert on earth with 3500 plant species alone. It's intriguing and gorgeous in places, some of which you passed right by. Maybe you drove on a moonless night. LOL.

Old 06-02-2018, 11:09 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,791,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post

No, actually, I have better things to do with my time than make up lies. What you prove is that you have not travelled the state that extensively. I’m amazed you even countered such fact. Also, there was also a story of someone lost on either 60 Minutes or another news show that discussed a similar situation, if I remember correctly, the entire hour was dedicated to this story. If you look at the geographical area vs the total population, it’s pretty stupid to even insinuate that the entire state is inhabited. Even the much more densely populated New England states that are considerably smaller have large areas of wilderness that are sparsely populated.

Old 06-03-2018, 07:24 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,742,418 times
Quote:
No, actually, I have better things to do with my time than make up lies. What you prove is that you have not travelled the state that extensively. I’m amazed you even countered such fact. Also, there was also a story of someone lost on either 60 Minutes or another news show that discussed a similar situation, if I remember correctly, the entire hour was dedicated to this story. If you look at the geographical area vs the total population, it’s pretty stupid to even insinuate that the entire state is inhabited. Even the much more densely populated New England states that are considerably smaller have large areas of wilderness that are sparsely populated.
Nobody is insinuating the entire state is inhabited, you're claim that there is nothing but dirt anywhere from the NW to SE corner of the state is the counter argument. The Sonoran desert is fairly diverse, Kingman is in the high desert and has scrub oak and brush in the area, then you drop down to the lower desert and cut through Joshua Tree forest on your way into Phoenix where you start seeing Saguaros. Between Phoenix to Tucson is the most barren because of people, it was extensively farmed but you still pass a lot of brush, cacti, palo verdes,etc... As you get to Tucson the elevation rises a bit and the Sonoran becomes more lush you drive right by a part of Saguaro national park near Marana then you drive through Tucson, from there the 10 heads East and you continue gaining elevation into Benson where you have Mt. Wrightson and Apache Peak in view. You continue gaining elevation as you head into Wilcox, now at 4200' the air is noticeably cooler and you can stop at Auntie Annies Orchard for apple picking at the right time of year. From there you're under 50 miles to the boarder of NM, and past the point of where I've been but that is a small % of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area