Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2016, 08:35 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Yup, I worked in both Chicago and New York and I've been to LA hundreds of times. I wouldn't live in any of them but Phoenix has plenty of big city problems, this is not a place to go to escape that issue. Being smaller it doesn't have the problems to the extent of the 3 largest cities in the country that you chose to rattle off but we've got traffic, we've got crime, we've got gangs, we've got graffiti, all that fun stuff...

I've never met anyone who wanted a smaller city feel come to Phoenix and say, "yeah, this feels like a small city to me." It's usually quite the opposite, most of the clients and visitors we bring to town are surprised how big it is and how little of it they can see in just a few days.
Agree, and we are actually the 5th largest city (we passed Philadelphia once again in the 2014 census estimates), and if you don't count the IE as a seperate metro from LA (it isn't), we are the 12th biggest metro

Old 12-21-2016, 08:50 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,738,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Agree, and we are actually the 5th largest city (we passed Philadelphia once again in the 2014 census estimates), and if you don't count the IE as a seperate metro from LA (it isn't), we are the 12th biggest metro
Ah, good to know. Yeah, the IE thing feels something akin to counting Tucson and/or maybe Prescott as part of Phoenix? I'm sure there's some type of science behind what is counted and what isn't but that seems like a stretch to me.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:57 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,281,299 times
Quote:
Ah, good to know. Yeah, the IE thing feels something akin to counting Tucson and/or maybe Prescott as part of Phoenix? I'm sure there's some type of science behind what is counted and what isn't but that seems like a stretch to me.
No, the inland empire is contiguous to the rest of the LA area, that's the point he is making. It should be considered part of that metro area population, not a separate one on it's own. It is not like Tucson or Prescott in that respect.

I see what BigCats is saying too, as Phoenix has more of a suburban feel than a big city feel but we all know that already.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:13 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,738,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I see what BigCats is saying too, as Phoenix has more of a suburban feel than a big city feel but we all know that already.
A suburban feel, sure. A small town feel? No way.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:16 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times
Quote:
A suburban feel, sure. A small town feel? No way.

Exactly. Anyone who says that has never spent any time in a real small town!

Old 12-21-2016, 09:26 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,150,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Actually, illegal aliens, mostly from Mexico, *ARE* responsible for driving increases in murder rates, human smuggling, home invasions, drug trafficking, and grand theft auto over the past 20 years in and around Phoenix.
If that's true, why was violent crime in Phoenix lower in 2012 (the last year for which I see stats) than in 1996 by every metric -- murder rate, rape rate, robbery rate, assault rate and total violent-crime rate?

Old 12-21-2016, 09:27 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
No, the inland empire is contiguous to the rest of the LA area, that's the point he is making. It should be considered part of that metro area population, not a separate one on it's own. It is not like Tucson or Prescott in that respect.

Bingo 👍

Old 12-21-2016, 10:51 AM

346 posts, read 613,311 times
I used to live in Tucson many years ago...I was acclimated to the desert climate and the heat of summer...I prefer the hot dry climate to what i have now here in NC which is high humidity and heat. As others have stated ..it is much easier to be out and about in the heat of the desert...in the Southeast...not so much if ever.
I am returning to southern arizona this coming year as I have had enough of this climate. I have an arthritic condition and Arizona is where i need to be..not to mention that is where my heart is...coming out in April to do some groundwork for our relocation and hopefully catch the desert in its beautiful spring blooms...

Old 12-21-2016, 01:22 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,729,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheelMan View Post
I used to live in Tucson many years ago...I was acclimated to the desert climate and the heat of summer...I prefer the hot dry climate to what i have now here in NC which is high humidity and heat. As others have stated ..it is much easier to be out and about in the heat of the desert...in the Southeast...not so much if ever.
I am returning to southern arizona this coming year as I have had enough of this climate. I have an arthritic condition and Arizona is where i need to be..not to mention that is where my heart is...coming out in April to do some groundwork for our relocation and hopefully catch the desert in its beautiful spring blooms...
Funny I came across your thread. I was contemplating a potential move back to NC, but have been having second (and third!) thoughts about it.
The desert will welcome you when you return.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:21 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,969,862 times
Quote:
Yup, I worked in both Chicago and New York and I've been to LA hundreds of times. I wouldn't live in any of them but Phoenix has plenty of big city problems, this is not a place to go to escape that issue. Being smaller it doesn't have the problems to the extent of the 3 largest cities in the country that you chose to rattle off but we've got traffic, we've got crime, we've got gangs, we've got graffiti, all that fun stuff...

I've never met anyone who wanted a smaller city feel come to Phoenix and say, "yeah, this feels like a small city to me." It's usually quite the opposite, most of the clients and visitors we bring to town are surprised how big it is and how little of it they can see in just a few days.
Im not talking how big PHX is size-wise. Im talking about its big city feel. It doesn't feel in any way, shape, or form like NYC or CHI, which people escape to come here for a quieter lifestyle. There is more crime on a daily basis in NYC or CHI than there is in PHX for an entire week. Theres more activity at any given time (day or night) than PHX can achieve on its busiest days. If you've been to NYC and been around Times Square at Midnight, you should know that the big city traffic and noise and crime in NYC makes PHX look like Disneyland. When its closed.

Yes, we have gangs, yes we have traffic, yes we have crime... plenty of suburbs have that, too. Not sure what your point is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area