Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 12:26 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
whos "we"?
I like some of McCartney's stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 02:10 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,626,328 times
People who cancel are losing an awful lot of money. You have to actually live in Phoenix to have a different mind set. Crime is just scary anymore; I don't know who is doing it but I would imagine just about everyone that wants to rob has a better chance if the police are constantly occupied chasing down 911 calls.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:35 PM

353 posts, read 657,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Exactly, they heard the name Pitbull and assumed he was some mindless thug. Oh well, what do you expect from people who probably pray to Toby Keith

Regardless if you like Pitbull or know who he is, we have a poor image as a result of this law and it's going to be increasingly fashionable to boycott Arizona. That is only going to hurt this state. Do you really think this law is going to improve the immigration problem so much that it's worth losing this so much investment which includes much more than concerts
Ouch! I'm from Scottsdale and the Toby Kieth set isn't real popular here. I used to work with a girl from Nebraska and used to bust her chops unmercilously for liking Toby Kieth. Now because of this bad law we are all seen in this light. People from coast to coast think we are a bunch of mouth breathing, knuckle dragging rubes. Even though for the most part I think it is a misperception there is the old saying about perception being reality. The more people entrench themselves and say they don't care about what outsiders think it makes it even worse because it comes across like Southern rednecks in the '60's complaining about outside agitators and preaching states rights.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:53 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,484,880 times
Not a fan of pitbull.........I'm disappointed that Pachuca and America canceled their game.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:56 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,910,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
And stay out! We like Paul Mcartny better!!
Yeah! And he even has a place in Tucson. Maybe he'll give a free concert!

Hmmmm...I wonder what HE thinks about our new immigration law???

Old 05-15-2010, 03:11 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Exactly, they heard the name Pitbull and assumed he was some mindless thug. Oh well, what do you expect from people who probably pray to Toby Keith

Regardless if you like Pitbull or know who he is, we have a poor image as a result of this law and it's going to be increasingly fashionable to boycott Arizona. That is only going to hurt this state. Do you really think this law is going to improve the immigration problem so much that it's worth losing this so much investment which includes much more than concerts
The truth is that the majority of people in the United States are in favor of the Law. At last count 64% of the nation is in favor of the law. It is based on the National Law and in its 10 pages has nothing that is not in line with how the Federal Government and the Constitution of the United States feels about protecting our borders from illegal immigrants. From what I see and hear those that are against it or spew what they think of the law have not even read it. WHen you have a place like Los Angeles that is boycoting the state and the city of LA is broke then that is an empty political move that means nothing to the state of Arizona. It is easy to say that you won't spend money somewhere when you don't have any to spend.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:23 PM

476 posts, read 1,135,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Another nobody rapper- who cares? The only one losing out on that cancellation is him,
I think statements like this are callous and miss the point entirely. I can not name a Pitbull song. Still, I understand the following:
- The state has missed out on tax revenue.
- The venue itself has missed an earnings opportunity, and long term the business may be forced to reduce costs by laying off employees.
- Other vendors and small businesses, such as surrounding restaurants and bars, will forgo revenue related to the event.

Whether we're fans of those who would choose to boycott AZ is inconsequential. The damage to the economy is of some consequence.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:07 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,571,227 times
This does not include the engineers I work with in the South Bay part of L.A. in supposedly wussy California. They all speak highly of the majority of Arizonans, as well as Jan Brewer, for their stand against illegal aliens. They speak highly of 1070 too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX-PHX View Post
People from coast to coast think we are a bunch of mouth breathing, knuckle dragging rubes.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:13 PM

220 posts, read 411,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
Not a fan of pitbull.........I'm disappointed that Pachuca and America canceled their game.

The US submitted its bid for the World Cup, and Phoenix was one of the cities on the list.

If approved, you can bet Phoenix will not host World Cup matches.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:47 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,645,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I like some of McCartney's stuff.
I stated that in order to make a point. Just because some people do not like Pitbull or have no idea who he is...just labeling him as a gangta rapper-which he isn't-doesn't mean others do not enjoy his music and will be disappointed he is not coming.
I guess I am one of the few on here who pretty much likes all music...from hip hop and latin to rock and pop...even old school music like the Beatles, Pointer Sisters, Kiss, Journey, even Johnny Cash.
Maybe some people should try to be a little more open minded before they start making judgements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area