Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2010, 10:24 AM

923 posts, read 1,430,381 times

Advertisements

I never heard of him till now but who is he really hurting, the state or his fan base that's going to be disappointed. BTW, who's the hottie in the silver bikini?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 10:32 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,608,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitem3 View Post
I never heard of him till now but who is he really hurting, the state or his fan base that's going to be disappointed. BTW, who's the hottie in the silver bikini?
His fans and the businesses (hotels, restaurants, bars, etc.) around the arena will suffer (and ultimately the state will suffer because of taxes not collected -- and a ton of small "hits" will add up).

Old 05-17-2010, 10:55 AM

1,128 posts, read 1,645,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
I've never heard of 'Pitbull' and suspect I'd rather gouge my ears out than listen to him, but I still think this is one more embarrassment for AZ. Losing the Republican Convention is a more glaring example.

It's interesting that those who support the new law cast those who are against it as 'pro illegals'. I'm against the new law, and against illegal immigration. But I am for citizens rights. Having the right to detain people based on very flimsy conditions is a huge step backwards - we are heading towards a police state. If Obama had proposed this, the right-wing nut jobs would be all over it!

My girlfriend has been a citizen here for 25 years, but she has dark skin. She likes to go walking around the neighborhood for exercise (rather than driving to the gym, as many Americans do). She does not carry her 'papers' with her when she goes for these walks. So what if she is suspected of being illegal, given that she is being entirely un-American by daring to walk on the sidewalk? She could be taken in, from what I understand, and ultimately expected to pay for the privilege once released. Ironically, she paid over $40,000 in federal taxes last year ...

This law is a stupid effort to appease the voters in an election period, and is going to be a very costly mistake for the state. But hey - makes people feel good so who cares!
I agree with you. I am not "for " illegal immigration but this new law is retarded and just hurting us now-when we need it the least!
I do not agree with people coming here illegally-from anywhere-but at least I can understand their plight. If some of us had been born in a 3rd world country with a corrupt government we'd probobly be trying to get here too even if it meant sneaking across the border.
Two of my kids have darker skin and brown eyes no one usually knows what they are mixed with, but do they have to start carrying around a birth certificate as well as other ID's as well?
This law may have started with good intentions but unless the border is sealed and they go after all the employers who give these people jobs the problem will not go away.
And even if they do catch people and send them back or they end up staying here with no jobs what is that going to do to our state? We will have more American born children depending on welfare b/c their parents are not working, or are gone, and there will be a rise in crime.
It's up to everyone to petition the Federal government to do something, and soon. I think a guest worker permit or amnesty is the only real solution here. People disagree and say that is "rewarding" them but I say it's the smartest thing we could do. They would be paying taxes and the states could charge a fee for them being here to help recoup losses.
And seal the border already!

Old 05-17-2010, 03:07 PM

683 posts, read 429,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
Your still saying that it would have been droves of illegals doing all this crime at his show and that is a very prejudicedand racist thing to say. Theres way more Americans committing crime than illegals, but your just focusing on them.
I'm focused on all crime, we just happen to be talking about illegal immigration therefore it's the topic at hand. There's nothing prejudice or racist at all about what I said, you act as it illegals are all of the same race which they are not. The only thing all illegal immigrants have in common is the simple fact that they don't belong here in the United States and they don't respect the laws of this nation. Say whatever you like but that's a fact and no canceled club concert can change those facts.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:39 PM

223 posts, read 596,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Their are people that plan on Boycoting Phil Jackson tonight at the Laker Sun's game because of what he said about the law. His comments were regarding people reading the law and if they did they would realize that it supports what our faderal law allready states. Not that the federal law is being enforced or anything. If the feds did their part we would have never had a state create this kind of law.
I don't believe the issue is with what they are trying to enforce - THAT part aligns comfortably between federal and state. The issue is simply the enforcement - is it lawful to detain someone based on a suspicion, and influenced by the color of the person's skin. This 'feel good' piece of legislation is probably going to cost the state a bundle in lawsuits down the road.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:57 AM

6 posts, read 5,861 times
I agree. We’re just inventing more useless work, and wasting precious money.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:21 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,419,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
Mod Cut: Post referring to is deleted.

I didn't say all I said most why dont you read it again?
And I have spent plenty of time with people from Mexico and other South and central American coutries and unless they are somewhat Americanized they do prefer their music over Englisgh/hip hop for the most part. I wouldn't state this if I didn't know it to be true. How many Hispanic people from other countries do you know well?
Mod Cut previously.
Most, which means majority, is still a blunt generalization, and is still just as stereotypical.

So a few of your illegal friends like music in their own language, how does that give you the right to make false claims about the majority of illegals?

Most of the hispanics I have ever worked with seem to prefer country music, and I have worked with countless illegals and legal in various jobs. So does that give me the right to make false claims such as you did?

Old 05-18-2010, 10:46 AM

380 posts, read 1,062,983 times
From the front lines.....Today's NI:
http://www.nogalesinternational.com/...c528043619.txt
I love what the Mexican lady says at the end. She is a resident of Nogales, Sonora.

"If we are within the law, this new legislation is no cause for concern."
"I came to buy my little girl a graduation dress."
"The quality, price, and selection are unequaled across the line."
"Why should I not take advantage of the benefits of your economy?"
"I come here and respect your laws."
"We buy clothes, certain staples like meat, milk, and eggs that are better and lower priced."

Last edited by smokemaster; 05-18-2010 at 10:56 AM..

Old 05-18-2010, 11:48 AM

117 posts, read 251,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
His fans and the businesses (hotels, restaurants, bars, etc.) around the arena will suffer (and ultimately the state will suffer because of taxes not collected -- and a ton of small "hits" will add up).
Oh, but its ok for illegal immigrants to get free healthcare, food stamps and take jobs cause they are willing to work for less? What about you paying taxes so they can live for free. You are more worried about the hotels and restaurants and poor Pitbull rather than what is coming out of your pocket to support the illegal immigrants.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:31 PM

223 posts, read 596,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mares84 View Post
Oh, but its ok for illegal immigrants to get free healthcare, food stamps and take jobs cause they are willing to work for less? What about you paying taxes so they can live for free. You are more worried about the hotels and restaurants and poor Pitbull rather than what is coming out of your pocket to support the illegal immigrants.
This is not an issue of illegal immigration; this is an issue of rights. Is it right to pass a law that allows detention and questioning of someone based solely on their race? If you are white, you probably don't care but this law is going to affect the rights of many legal non-whites, who will be detained and questioned solely because of their non-white skin color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area