Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 02:52 PM

4 posts, read 4,466 times

Advertisements

Perfect person to chat to having lived in FL :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Without knowing what part of Florida you are coming from...it's kind of hard to compare. (IMHO, saying "Florida" is like saying "Africa"...it's very broad...and there are major differences beween Tallahassee, Miami, and Melbourne, etc....but I digress).

I'm actually in Broward county. Plantation to be exact.

I am only familiar with the public schools in Volusia, Broward, Dade and Lee counties (in that I know people in those places with kids in those schools; including my sister who is in elementary school in Broward); I will say that Pennsylvania schools are better; even our "bad" districts give a superior education than the average that is available in Florida's major cities. I have friends who are public and private school teachers and administrators in FL. And I work for a college that trains educational administrators in PA. While PA does have a lot of waste in regards to the sheer number of school districts and money wasted on administrative costs; at least education is seen as a priority around here. In FL...this is not the case. They have ongoing struggles, even in the "rich" areas with allocating enough resources for special programs. Also the pay for teachers in FL is like some sort of practical joke. Again, education just doesn't seem like a priority there.

You are right. It is a practical joke here in FL and the schools are not good at all.

Ironically however the tables seem to turn in regards to higher education. For those concerned with saving for college, PA is not the place for affordable higher education. FL has the statewide-bright futures program...while Pittsburgh has the "Pittsburgh Promise (http://pittsburghpromise.org/faq.html - broken link)"; but it only applies if you attend Pittsburgh Public Schools. In FL, you get more bang for your college tuition money anyway...even if you do have to pay. The tuition at Pitt and Penn State is like 3-4 times what you would pay at the University of Florida (an excellent school)...and there are major universities scattered throughout the state. Here you have this PASSHE system where none of the 'state schools' are major research universities. That and the schools are in the middle of nowhere. I work for PASSHE...and even when they pay me to travel to the other schools...it's like I would rather go get a root canal!

Wow. We actually got my daughter a 529 college plan. I've read somewhere that PA has where if your child gas a 2.5 GPA in college and goes to a PA school they will give you 10,000? Is that correct?

Pittsburgh has almost no Hispanic/Latin American influence. I think Pittsburgh is the only major city I've gone to where Spanish language channels weren't included in the basic cable package (if that is any indication).

Wow and that would be a change coming from South Florida.

Pittsburgh is much more safe than any major city in FL. Hands down...case closed!

Agree 100%

I think that SW PA is a MUCH better place to raise children. Although some of this stems from being sheltered...but hey. I know too many families in FL that are having some major problems with their teens...being on drugs, paying bail, dealing with STDs in the family, etc.

Funny you say that cause I have seen the same. Scary!!!!

I don't go out to eat a lot. Pittsburgh doesn't have a lot to offer in terms of Mexican or Latin American cuisine. Very little African or Caribbean. A good amount of non-Chinese East Asian...but I think the quality is lacking a bit. Surprisingly there are some great Indian restaurants here. This area has a LOT of people of Italian and Greek heritages; so I assume the restaurants are top notch in those areas. In regards to Chinese; well, my Dad lives in Miramar, FL and when I lived down there, we were on a multi-year quest to find decent Chinese food in FL. We never succeeded. Here on the other hand, there are several excellent Chinese restaurants.
I'm familar with Miramar and agree cause good chinese food is hard to find!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 02:59 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,182,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Ironically however the tables seem to turn in regards to higher education. For those concerned with saving for college, PA is not the place for affordable higher education. FL has the statewide-bright futures program...while Pittsburgh has the "Pittsburgh Promise (http://pittsburghpromise.org/faq.html - broken link)"; but it only applies if you attend Pittsburgh Public Schools. In FL, you get more bang for your college tuition money anyway...even if you do have to pay. The tuition at Pitt and Penn State is like 3-4 times what you would pay at the University of Florida (an excellent school)
Ditto. Why the hell does it cost $6,000-$7,000 a semester at Pitt or Penn State when I could go to any other state and enroll in an equivalent university for half of the price? It's insane.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:46 PM

4 posts, read 4,466 times
Lots of great information everyone! So overall what is your happiness with living in Pittsburgh on a scale of 1-10 and finally what areas do you recommend that I check out for living in. Thanks again.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:26 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdemaria80 View Post
Lots of great information everyone! So overall what is your happiness with living in Pittsburgh on a scale of 1-10 and finally what areas do you recommend that I check out for living in. Thanks again.
I'd say my happiness living in Pittsburgh is about an 8 (on an honest grading scale). My ideal job wasn't available here, and there are a few things about living here which aren't ideal for me (e.g., I wish there were more direct flights places, I wish it was more on the mental map of people on the East Coast, I wish it was a little easier to get public and private investment in certain sorts of improvements, I wish the snow stayed on the ground longer in winter, and so on). But for the most part Pittsburgh has all the amenities we want, the relatively low cost of living for our preferred lifestyle is great, I like the weather/climate overall, and in general it is an interesting and charming city in many ways.

There are a lot of great neighborhoods that could potentially fit what you have told us so far, and it will really depend on exactly what you are looking for, where you are working, and so forth. But if you like what you have heard of Mt. Lebanon, I'd also suggest checking out Aspinwall and Oakmont, which are both nice walkable towns, close to the city, with good public schools. Personally, I also wouldn't rule out some of the nicer neighborhoods in the City (e.g., a lot of people cross-shop neighborhoods like Squirrel Hill with Mt. Lebanon).

Old 10-20-2010, 12:31 PM

2 posts, read 1,540 times
Houses are affordable here and in nice, safter areas. Most people here are not transplants and family oriented. People are friendly and helpful.

Now the winters, that is a different story, a depressing subject. If it were not for my husband having a good job I would be out of here and fast. If you like sun, Pittsburgh is not the place to be. It starts getting cold but bearable in October.

Many people have moved to another state and then move back to Pittsburgh. It is very common that they say they miss the 4 seasons. (I don't get it!). Anyway, Fall can be very beautiful with the changing of the leaves, take trips to the mountains around mid-October and bring your camera. If you love bulky sweaters get these ready.

November, nothing special, December, January, especially February, it makes me want to take the first plane out to anywhere far south. I've actually started taking trips down to Florida in January just to get out of the cold. March and April... will the cold, rain, ever stop?... May, Oh that is what the sun looks like. I feel like the kid in Xmas story as he runs outside screaming... or have been let out of a prison (the indoors). June, July, August (don't blink) summer is only 3 months and that is if its a good summer. We have had many summers where I thought I lived in Seattle. I could go on but won't.

In other words, if you suffer from the Seasonal Affective Disorder like I obviously do, don't move here.

We have 3 rivers and boating is popular and provides a night life in the daytime. It is also a very popular sport for spending time with the family. Lots of fun and you'll make good friends.... if you move here get a boat, its worth it.

I grew up here and I must admit I had a wonderful childhood. Back then I did not mind the cold and snow. it snowed more often back then and we sledded, tobogganed, snowmobiled, snow skiing. Then there is golf, neighborhood football and softball. If your kids are outdoorsy, fishing. People here love sports.

One more thing, consider getting a dog. They love being with the family and especially a dog, will be the best friend you and your kids will have. There are many animal shelters.

I hope I helped.

Last edited by elisa321; 10-20-2010 at 12:58 PM..

Old 10-20-2010, 04:45 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
I also grew up with snow (in Michigan), and I guess I have never completely grown up, because I still love it.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:41 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,750 times
I guess my happiness living here is a 6; more positive than neutral. The biggest plusses are 1) my family is here 2) the cost of living is incredibly low and 3) lots of things going on culturally that keep my interest up.

That score would probably improve if 1) I had a decent job and 2) If I were more settled in life. If I am able to find a good job here and someone else to build a future with, that would probably raise my satisfaction level to an 8. Until that happens, then I will continue to keep my eye on greener pastures!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh