Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 11:36 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr1234 View Post
Good luck to you because that - a huge small town with down-to-earth people, housing prices that are attainable to the middle-class, less materialism and "fakes" than are present in NoVA outside the Beltway, less of an emphasis upon education/career status, walkable neighborhoods vs. sprawling wastelands, etc., etc.) - is not Pittsburgh.
What would you describe Pittsburgh as, then? I really don't think I was that off-base with my thoughts on what I'd be getting with Pittsburgh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 04:54 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,732,470 times
Back on topic folks, please.
Yac.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:01 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,666,746 times
So is there a bias towards people who have moved from other cities? I moved here from, ok, not the sticks, but definitely not a city. (It's not particularly important but it was from Shepherdstown, in eastern WV, under the vague influence then and moreso now, of Washington DC but 70 miles away.) I did live in Philly for one school year (Sept-May roughly), ending about a year and a half before I moved to Pittsburgh. I didn't originally expect this to be so long-term, but on Friday I will begin my 20th year in the area. And get this, I work for the same company as when I moved here, not doing the same thing (that would be bad), but different things as we've grown over the years. This is, of course, a big part of why I stay.

I have family in the area, but that was never a factor. It's aunts and uncles and cousins on my father's side. They're mostly, as far as I know, "never go into the city" types. Certainly when growing up I used to visit these relatives from time to time, and the first time I ever came to the city was to visit CMU when I was looking at colleges which would have been just a couple years before ultimately moving here. Of course, visiting the city during the 70s and early 80s probably wouldn't have been too appealing.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:02 AM

133 posts, read 392,026 times
I moved here from Franklin, MA. I went to college in eastern PA and grad school in West Haven, CT. I grew up in the Mohawk Valley in NY state. I miss eastern MA, but I can deal with being here.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:19 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,853,742 times
I didn't reply to this thread since technically I didn't move here from another city but lived in several central Pa small towns ( Clearfield County) as well as rural, in-the-sticks area outside of State College,Pa.
I've lived in the Burgh since the mid '80's and consider it my home.

And Reston, you're not off base with your thoughts that the people in the Burgh are some of the most down to earth and unpretentious people around.That's one of the reasons why I find this city comfortable to live and work in.
Even most wealthy people are unpretentious here. I see some of them drive older model cars.( I've heard even Dan Rooney would drive an older car to the stadium) That tells me they are not worried about not being seen driving the newest beamer and that they are not only unpretentious but smart with their money.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:23 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,759,909 times
Actually, Dan Rooney walked to work.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:24 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,554,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Actually, Dan Rooney walked to work.
Not to be picky, but it was Art Rooney, Sr aka The Chief that walked to work from the NorTside.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:27 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,554,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Forgot to mention I lived a year in Hollidaysburg, PA.

The worst 5 years of your life?

Old 11-15-2010, 07:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
I didn't reply to this thread since technically I didn't move here from another city but lived in several central Pa small towns ( Clearfield County) as well as rural, in-the-sticks area outside of State College,Pa.
I've lived in the Burgh since the mid '80's and consider it my home.

And Reston, you're not off base with your thoughts that the people in the Burgh are some of the most down to earth and unpretentious people around.That's one of the reasons why I find this city comfortable to live and work in.
Even most wealthy people are unpretentious here. I see some of them drive older model cars.( I've heard even Dan Rooney would drive an older car to the stadium) That tells me they are not worried about not being seen driving the newest beamer and that they are not only unpretentious but smart with their money.
OK, I'm going to go a little OT here for this response. I grew up in the Pgh area and went to college there. I met all kinds of people there. Mean people, nice people, good drivers, bad drivers, frugal people, spendthrifts, pretentious people, unpretentious people, intellectual snobs and people who mock those with education. I thought some of my teachers were the meanest people in the world, and as an adult, I'd probably still think that of some of them. There were plenty of "mean girls" at my junior high and high schools. My niece referred to the soccer moms of Wexford as "Stepford Wives". There was something in a thread on this forum recently about people in the East End being into "conspicuous consumption". The police have plenty to do. You name it, it's there, just like it's here in Denver, and Champaign, IL and every place else you could live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
That's his choice to have his history only accessible to friends. I have it in my mind. It is usually not objective and many times venomous towards Pittsburgh and it's advocates. To me, that is trolling. The place to spew venom is not on a positive thread about Pittsburgh. That is derailing a thread. The place to do that are threads stating Pittsburgh's drawbacks. Then it should be done objectively. People do not want to hear his rants and he knows it. This is a perfect example of a person using the web for the wrong reasons. Sorry Katiana, you are generally a good poster but seem to play the devil's advocate sometimes. This individual does not deserve your support.
1. I didn't know this was supposed to be a thread for only positive responses. It would seem to me that if you (plural) start a thread about "People who have moved to Pittsburgh from other cities", that you could expect some negative as well as positive responses. It bugs me that some people who used to live in Pittsburgh come on here and talk about how much they miss Pgh and they get loads of positive responses. Then someone says "I miss (insert name of city)" and there are people who jump down their throats, tell them to leave, and imply that there is something wrong with these people because they miss Boston, or G*d forbid, California.

2. My response was based on sr1234's post, period. I don't think I've ever read any of his other posts.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 11-15-2010 at 08:53 PM..

Old 11-15-2010, 08:19 PM

9 posts, read 18,084 times
I grew up around the city of Reading Pa until college. As my username implies, I spent my college years at Penn State, and I attended the University Park campus all four years. I graduated in 02, and moved to Bethel Park in November of 02. I've been bouncing around the South Hills since and have been back in Bethel since last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh