Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 08:21 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,724,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
I can even understand the delayed response yesterday evening. The storm arrived earlier and was much more intense than forecast. But the snow ended at midnight. WTF did the road crews do for 8 hours between 12am and 8am? Most main roads were still in terrible condition this morning.
This. WTF.

I commend as always my road crew in Economy Borough. My road was bare, but it was the only one on the way this morning. Huge major highways were covered in frozen crap. They had ALL NIGHT. The snow stopped pretty early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 08:32 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,718,978 times
I live in Upper St. Clair, and our road crews were out in force all of last evening, resulting in main roads that were just wet this morning.
However, driving to work this morning in Pleasant Hills, the roads "cleared" by Allegheny County crews were still half snow covered or worse, and the hill on Curry Hollow Road next to Jefferson Memorial Park was very treacherous; a major artery with a half-assed attempt at snow removal, so typical of city & county crews.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:36 AM

264 posts, read 493,930 times
Once again the "snow emergency routes" through Oakland are just horrendous. Why do they even pretend to have a plan to deal with the snow?

Old 02-22-2011, 09:45 AM

14,200 posts, read 22,839,778 times
Didn't a mayor get ****-canned in Chicago a long time ago for not getting the streets plowed?

Old 02-22-2011, 11:07 AM

781 posts, read 1,623,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
City government employees do! Obviously.
Seriously you can't blame the employees if they have a day off. You must be really angry at bank workers too. This is on the Mayor. Do you honestly expect them to break into the snowplow garage and start plowing? I imagine a lot if them were calling and wondering why they were not called. They have families, friends and neighbors driving in dangerous conditions. Waiting made their job more difficult since the slush below had turned into ice hours earlier.

Direct your anger toward the right people. I am so tired of people bashing eachother.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:21 PM

870 posts, read 1,575,876 times
The idiots were out in full force out on Rte. 519 in North Strabane this morning! The road was horrible and yet some were still driving like it was dry. Some guy in a big pickup was on my tail almost the entire time until he illegally passed me and almost hit another car head-on!

But I agree. The condition of the roads were pretty bad all over.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:31 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,308,784 times
This was the first time in my life I ever had to abandon my car.

Why? Because I happened to be in the city limits on a hillside with a bunch of idiots who couldn't drive their cars!

What did the road crews do about it? Nothing. They came and closed the road while people were still on it.

My tow truck driver went up there 5 times over the past 24 hours before he was finally able to get my car off the hillside.

Thankfully, my car was unscathed, but most of the other cars on the hillside were wrecked. I was lucky.

I don't know how the city gets away with it. People could actually die on some of these steep hillsides or while trying to walk miles home.

On foot, we were home within 1-1/2 hours (we were able to use a bus for a portion of the trip). I heard other people were out there for many hours before getting home.

When we got into the suburbs, the roads were well maintained. I can't understand why the city can't provide the same level of service the suburbs does.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:34 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,233,199 times
They said yesterday on the news that the city was operating on a "Phase 2" snowplow operation. LOL!
What the hell is that and who made up this "phase" ordeal.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:52 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,246,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Didn't a mayor get ****-canned in Chicago a long time ago for not getting the streets plowed?
Yes. This was back in 1979. Mayor Michael Bilandic decided that he was going to save a few bucs by not sending out the crews during or after a blizzard. There was a major effort to get him voted out that election year. The voters of Chicago came through on their promise by voting him out. Citizens want their streets cleared or at least a 110% effort to do so. They do not want to hear about overtime, holidays, weekend, budgets, etc. Weather is unpredictable. They have to be ready to answer the bell for the welfare of the taxpayers.
http://www.npr.org/2010/12/30/132478...d-Still-Linger

Old 02-22-2011, 09:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,308,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
Yes. This was back in 1979. Mayor Michael Bilandic decided that he was going to save a few bucs by not sending out the crews during or after a blizzard. There was a major effort to get him voted out that election year. The voters of Chicago came through on their promise by voting him out. Citizens want their streets cleared or at least a 110% effort to do so. They do not want to hear about overtime, holidays, weekend, budgets, etc. Weather is unpredictable. They have to be ready to answer the bell for the welfare of the taxpayers.
Political Lessons From Old Chicago Blizzard Still Linger : NPR
If politicans were wise, they would budget emergency overtime and holiday pay into budgets. If the money isn't spent, they'd be ahead of the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh