Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 09:38 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,160,183 times

Advertisements

The roads were a total mess this morning and was dreading how bad they would be this evening, but I was surprised to see all the side streets in my neighborhood much more passable than this morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 12:01 AM

875 posts, read 1,490,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
...I can't understand why the city can't provide the same level of service the suburbs does.
I know that a lot of people are quick to blame ineptitude on the part of political leaders (the mayor, et al.) and public works, but I'm inclined to also think there are other factors at work here.

I can't recall the specific number, but the City has to maintain over one thousand miles of roadways. I'm not sure what the next ranked borough or municipality in the county comes second to that, but I doubt it's anywhere close. I'm willing to bet that the city does not have a proportionate amount of manpower for each mile of street compared to that of outlying municipalities.

I also think that the difficulty of plowing the streets in the city might be greater as well. There are innumerable narrow, steep, or even brick streets that pose a challenge. And let's not forget the difficulty of where that snow is being plowed, because in most cases in the city, trucks have to deal with numerous parked cars and/or sidewalks, whereas again, in most suburbs the trucks can make quick and easy runs where all the snow is shoved to the side.

Trust me, I still think there is ineptitude in snow weather management in the city, but I would still like to remind others that any mismanagement, no matter how small, is exacerbated by the factors I listed above.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:26 AM

296 posts, read 561,252 times
I'm sorry but anyone that makes excuses for the city has their head in the sand. This is the 500th time in a row that the city's response to snow has been "nonexistent" - not even "incompetent". THEY LITERALLY DON'T DO ANYTHING.

Everyone is at fault. The city administration has no clue, especially the Public Works director Captain Yinzer. The city workers are at fault too because when the trucks are out - nothing happens.

People would understand if the side streets weren't plowed immediately because they are narrow, hilly etc. I think people's main complaint is that MAJOR THOROUGHFARES IN THE CITY ARE ALWAYS IMPASSABLE. It's not the little hilly street in Arlington that isn't touched - its because Butler Street or Fifth Avenue are untouched.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:40 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,722,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimacista View Post
I'm sorry but anyone that makes excuses for the city has their head in the sand. This is the 500th time in a row that the city's response to snow has been "nonexistent" - not even "incompetent". THEY LITERALLY DON'T DO ANYTHING.
This. It's not even like people are complaining that their side street isn't plowed, they're complaining about major roadways that aren't even looked at. So many cities across the northeast can handle plowing their roads (the major ones at the very least) and we seem to not know how to handle that at all.

It's ridiculous that I've become so accustomed to the city not plowing that plan ahead a day in advance to work from home because I know there's no way in hell I'm getting to work without risking my life.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:45 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,086,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideblinded View Post
Seriously you can't blame the employees if they have a day off. You must be really angry at bank workers too. This is on the Mayor. Do you honestly expect them to break into the snowplow garage and start plowing? I imagine a lot if them were calling and wondering why they were not called. They have families, friends and neighbors driving in dangerous conditions. Waiting made their job more difficult since the slush below had turned into ice hours earlier.

Direct your anger toward the right people. I am so tired of people bashing eachother.
Read my first post, I'm not blaming the employees. I realize that they were off and couldn't do anything about it. However, their cheapskate bosses (probably the mayor) refused to call them in until it was too late to save a few bucks of "holiday pay". Just gross incompetence especially after the fiasco that took place last year. Some people are too dumb to learn from their mistakes I guess. Why we vote them into positions of power is a whole 'nother issue.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:49 AM

781 posts, read 1,620,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala26 View Post
I know that a lot of people are quick to blame ineptitude on the part of political leaders (the mayor, et al.) and public works, but I'm inclined to also think there are other factors at work here.

I can't recall the specific number, but the City has to maintain over one thousand miles of roadways. I'm not sure what the next ranked borough or municipality in the county comes second to that, but I doubt it's anywhere close. I'm willing to bet that the city does not have a proportionate amount of manpower for each mile of street compared to that of outlying municipalities.

I also think that the difficulty of plowing the streets in the city might be greater as well. There are innumerable narrow, steep, or even brick streets that pose a challenge. And let's not forget the difficulty of where that snow is being plowed, because in most cases in the city, trucks have to deal with numerous parked cars and/or sidewalks, whereas again, in most suburbs the trucks can make quick and easy runs where all the snow is shoved to the side.

Trust me, I still think there is ineptitude in snow weather management in the city, but I would still like to remind others that any mismanagement, no matter
how small, is exacerbated by the factors I listed above.
True, also add in there is no alternative emergency parking plan, nor alternate street parking in winter compounds an already near impossible situation. My street never got plowed, a neighbor called a friend who plowed our street.

Which reminds me, off to call 311!

Old 02-23-2011, 08:01 AM

29,750 posts, read 34,422,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimacista View Post

Everyone is at fault. The city administration has no clue, especially the Public Works director Captain Yinzer. The city workers are at fault too because when the trucks are out - nothing happens.

People would understand if the side streets weren't plowed immediately because they are narrow, hilly etc. I think people's main complaint is that MAJOR THOROUGHFARES IN THE CITY ARE ALWAYS IMPASSABLE. It's not the little hilly street in Arlington that isn't touched - its because Butler Street or Fifth Avenue are untouched.

Absolutely ridiculous.
Agreed. I think most people who live in the city look out at their snow-covered street and think, "okay, at least the crews are out getting the main drags." But then when you get out, 8-12 hours after the snow has stopped, and Banksville, Forbes, Penn, etc, are still a mess, that's when you get angry. If the crews are out in full force like the city PR people said they are, where are they? What were they doing?

Old 02-23-2011, 12:07 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,233,296 times
[quote=grimacista;17993789]I'm sorry but anyone that makes excuses for the city has their head in the sand. This is the 500th time in a row that the city's response to snow has been "nonexistent" - not even "incompetent". THEY LITERALLY DON'T DO ANYTHING.

Absolutely ridiculous.[/quote

This is correct. There is no denying some of the points Impala made. However, the fact of the matter is, crews were MIA. They were not there. I was Downtown from Noon until midnight. Not one person I talked to, and there were dozens, saw nary a plow nor a salt truck Downtown all day or night. So if there were any at all, they were a skeleton crew when an army was needed. One guy even had Mayor Ravenstahl's office phone number and left a mesaage saying for him to "start looking for another job" after the great effort they did on the city streets.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:29 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,225,631 times
One guy even had Mayor Ravenstahl's office phone number and left a mesaage saying for him to "start looking for another job" after the great effort they did on the city streets

Boy Mayor probably just laughed. He knows he will be re elected without any problem if he decides to run again

That's how sad it is around here, knowing you can keep doing wrong and the people will still vote for you.As long as you are one of the "puppets", you will always have a job!

Old 02-23-2011, 01:49 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,778,197 times
And here we go... First reported fatality of someone that had to walk home after abandoning his car.

Man Collapses, Dies After Walking Home In Snowstorm - News Story - WPXI Pittsburgh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh