Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 11:58 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,055,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Weren't you one of the people all excited when visiting fans were coming here to see their teams play the Pirates and bringing lots of money into the city as well as having new people here to see what Pittsburgh is like in real life?
That's because I am a realist. The stadium money is a sunk cost--it is not like we can sell the stadiums to some other city and let them haul them away. So given that this cost is sunk, the more revenues we get from out-of-state fans, the better. But that doesn't mean it was a good deal overall.

Quote:
but it can't keep going up to over $100k a year for 180 days. That is a JOKE! . . . . Again, you just present the most extreme view to try and build your case.
Ah, hypocrisy, so persuasive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Believe me, the successful sports teams were a huge help in giving us something to cheer about in the '70s
And when the steel bust hit full-force in the 1980s, everyone stuck around because of their loyalty to those sports teams . . . oh, wait, that never happened.

Sports teams may be a welcome distraction when things suck, but they are just a form of entertainment, and they are trumped by real-world economic factors every time.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:05 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,893,853 times
I have to disagree - while I accept that a sports team can indeed bring together the people of a region in a way most other things cannot, that doesn't change the fact that they are first and foremost a business. They are a very successful business. As such, they need not get special treatment across the board. I'll accept some special financing deals in building new stadiums & arenas but I don't like that a large chunk of each are paid for out of taxpayer money in lieu of the teams paying for their building & then on top of that nearly all possible revenue said building can generate is funneled into the pockets of those teams, not to mention the sweetheart deals given to the team ownerships outside of the stadiums/arenas, i.e selling the land for an Ampitheater on the north shore to the Rooneys at a drastically undervalued price (hello competitive bidding?) or giving the penguins the development rights to the areas around consol (why?).
You can support the local teams without also feeling they somehow deserve preferential treatment as a business in so many ways; I mean the NFL owners just went through a big lockout because 1 billion dollars off the top wasn't enough...

Old 08-09-2011, 12:31 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,855,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
That's what the "official" Downtown map says, but that map is very a-historical in this respect.

Historically, that area was considered part of the Lower Hill, and it was in fact on the Lower Hill street grid. It is also topographically continuous with the Hill but distinct from Downtown (a fact which has been enhanced by Crosstown).
I apolegize that I'm afraid that my post came across as a little too blunt.I failed to make clear that I DO hope that the residents of the Hill benefit greatly from the new Arena, I am just concerned that the politics of this will hinder and/or delay the additional new development of the area. I am also confident that most of the Hill's job seekers would be given those jobs anyway with or without an agreement.

Another consideration to keep in mind is that any new hires who may happen to live across town or even outside of town most likely would eventually move to The Hill to be closer to their work . It's important to always add new residents to a neighborhood to help keep it lively, interesting and diverse.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
I cannot due battle with an unarmed man.

Launch your assault now... Take it Easy... Raise your weapon...

http://youtu.be/YnwfTHpnGLYssault

Old 08-09-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
I failed to make clear that I DO hope that the residents of the Hill benefit greatly from the new Arena, I am just concerned that the politics of this will hinder and/or delay the additional new development of the area. I am also confident that most of the Hill's job seekers would be given those jobs anyway with or without an agreement. Another consideration to keep in mind is that any new hires who may happen to live across town or even outside of town most likely would eventually move to The Hill to be closer to their work . It's important to always add new residents to a neighborhood to help keep it lively, interesting and diverse.
I think we are largely on the same page. I do think it helps to give Hill residents training opportunities, and access to a placement office with advanced notice of openings. I also think it is fine if people want to move to the Hill to avail themselves of these opportunities.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:19 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,739,376 times
As the fighting continues I'd like to remind everybody it isn't a fight to the death, you can also agree to disagree. I know it might not seem like the best option at the moment, but believe me - when you calm down - it will
Yac.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:26 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,717,519 times
Somebody should open a Rolls Royce dealership in the Hill.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I also think it is fine if people want to move to the Hill to avail themselves of these opportunities.
A job candidate may have perfect qualifications for a position in terms of talent,energy,enthusiasm,good work record,etc who an employer is itching to hire on the spot because they know the employee would be able to make a valuable contribution to the workplace, but yet, would be unable to do so b/c the candidate doesn't live in The Hill yet.

That candidate may be stuck in a house across town that they have been unable to sell or stuck in a lease. They may have a dog and can't find a rental in the Hill that allows pets or they may be living with a disabled grandparent in order to assist them during their off hours while they are not at work-all these scenarios would prevent someone from being able to move to another neighborhood or at least right away.

It would be a shame if an employer is forced to turn away an applicant just because they can't pack up and move on a moment's notice.I don't think they should limit the new hires to being from one neighborhood, but perhaps make the criteria exclusive to Pittsburgh city residents.

For years I worked on the North Side with a resident from The Hill, and there are plenty of other Hill District residents who work in various parts of the city. It should be a two way street.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
A job candidate may have perfect qualifications for a position in terms of talent,energy,enthusiasm,good work record,etc who an employer is itching to hire on the spot because they know the employee would be able to make a valuable contribution to the workplace, but yet, would be unable to do so b/c the candidate doesn't live in The Hill yet. . . . It would be a shame if an employer is forced to turn away an applicant just because they can't pack up and move on a moment's notice.I don't think they should limit the new hires to being from one neighborhood, but perhaps make the criteria exclusive to Pittsburgh city residents.
That's not really how the agreement works. The employer has to notify the Hill's new placement center of an open position first, and the placement center can recommend people. For one week the employer can't hire anyone but Hill residents, but after that can hire anyone. So at most in your hypothetical, the employer would have to wait a week to hire their preferred applicant. In other words, it gives qualified Hill residents a head start on new positions, but doesn't mandate new positions ultimately go to Hill residents.

By the way, for many of these positions, there really isn't going to be one uniquely-qualified applicant (in fact specialized and executive positions are exempted). Instead, there will likely be a small pool of essentially equally qualified applicants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh